Watkins Glen 1973-2013

Still Truckin

I've been hatching this idea for a while now and since I know myself well enough to know I'm never going to follow up on it, I'm casting it to the wind here.

It would be unbelievably awesome to have a re-creation of the Watkins Glen Summer Jam that featured the Dead, The Allman Bros and The Band in 1973.

This re-creation could feature the best of the re-creation bands coming together for an incredible 2 day show ("soundcheck" day and concert day). Needless to say DSO would take on the GD setlists.

ABB and DickeyBetts organizations recently had a showdown of sorts for Best of the ABB tribute bands and they seem to have tapped Great Caesar's Ghost as the best of the best.

I haven't heard too many The Band re-creations, but one that I like is "The The Band Band" (a fab name to boot).

Anyway, July 27 & 28, 2013 is a Saturday and Sunday and is the exact 40 year anniversary of Watkins Glen! Could someone please pull this together by then????

Watkins Glen was my second Dead show, my first was in D.C. about a month earlier at R.F.K. stadium.

Who wudda' thunk it ?

Next up is Mighty High Fest, sounds like fun !!!

P.S>Do any of you old heads remember the show after Watkins Glen? I think it was Jerry's birthday party @ Roosevelt stadium in Jersey City.

Peace Y'All

• Forum MVP

What I can remember of '73, it was a very very good year for me. Undergrad was going well, had a part-time job off the books ( could afford more shows and it didn't show up on my finanical aide), and the GD was hitting on all cylinders.

Those were heady days indeed - we drove down to D.C. from Stony Brook to catch the Boys and the Bros at RFK Stadium -- my first mega-stadium sized show. It was a little hellish scene, with people throwing glass bottles down from the stands and setting off fireworks in the stadium. Well maybe those were fireworks. The shows were transcendent, of course and it was a joy to see these two bands together. Watkins added my other other favorite band, The Band which is why it's so special - the 73 trifecta. I missed the Roosevelt Stadium show, but caught the Nassau Coliseum shows in September - my last NY area dead shows. I'm so grateful we have DSO to bring us back those gems.

Here's to re-creations!

Archived