Estimated Prophet

Terrapin Station

Playin' In The Band

Drums

Iko Iko

Morning Dew

sugar magnolia

E: Alabama Getaway

So I have to say that this was my first show in Utah.. for numerous reasons. I have to say that I was not expecting good things. Utah is very religious and does not like hippies, in my experience. I asked myself multiple times, "does Utah even have a dead scene??" imagine my surprise when we showed up to a MUCH bigger venue than I had anticipated... and the place was PACKED!! utonian grateful dead lovers were just coming out of the woodwork. we tried to find a nice spot down front by barraco but I soon felt so claustrophobic that we made our way up to the balcony. the balcony was packed too. but we found a nice empty spot up front where we had the dancing room we were looking for. there were a bunch of quiet, older heads sitting in our section and soon they got up with us and started dancing like their lives depended on it. one of the guys we met had toured with the dead since the 70s and had seen dso a few times when jk was still in the band. He had never seen mattson before. I think its an understatement when I say he was totally blown away by mattson. I'm talking hands on head, mouth open, face melting. he really liked jeffs raw in your face playing over jks quiet strength. he just kept repeating "who is this guy.. I gotta have more... where are they playing tomorrow??" and so another mattson dso fan is born. pretty sure I convinced him to come to boulder :)

anyway on to my review. theMinglewood to start got everyone into the dancing mood and I was impressed by the amount of dancers. sugaree was beautiful as always. Barraco had some really interesting jams in friend of the devil that nicely spiced that song up for me. China rider was smoking and the monster seamless transition had more than one person in the crowd with hands on their head wondering what the heck just happened to their minds. really enjoyed the st of circumstance as well. just didn't want the firSt set to end. the Althea opener was unusual and rick was starting to hone in on the specific show. mattson has some really hardcore face melt moments in cc rider and the estimated terrapin was just delightful. I think it goes without saying that terrapin in my favorite song and I jump up and down in joy everytime I get to here it. the dew was spectacular and had a pin drop moment when mattson just lit it up vocally. went down to dance with wienke for Alabama and was impressed with how much merch these utonians were scooping up. all in all I loved the show and would give salt lake city an A+. I'm glad I finally made it to Utah for a show and heck I might even go back. see you in boulder!

Guest crazy digits

So I have to say that this was my first show in Utah.. for numerous reasons. I have to say that I was not expecting good things. Utah is very religious and does not like hippies, in my experience. I asked myself multiple times, "does Utah even have a dead scene??" imagine my surprise when we showed up to a MUCH bigger venue than I had anticipated... and the place was PACKED!! utonian grateful dead lovers were just coming out of the woodwork. we tried to find a nice spot down front by barraco but I soon felt so claustrophobic that we made our way up to the balcony. the balcony was packed too. but we found a nice empty spot up front where we had the dancing room we were looking for. there were a bunch of quiet, older heads sitting in our section and soon they got up with us and started dancing like their lives depended on it. one of the guys we met had toured with the dead since the 70s and had seen dso a few times when jk was still in the band. He had never seen mattson before. I think its an understatement when I say he was totally blown away by mattson. I'm talking hands on head, mouth open, face melting. he really liked jeffs raw in your face playing over jks quiet strength. he just kept repeating "who is this guy.. I gotta have more... where are they playing tomorrow??" and so another mattson dso fan is born. pretty sure I convinced him to come to boulder :)

anyway on to my review. theMinglewood to start got everyone into the dancing mood and I was impressed by the amount of dancers. sugaree was beautiful as always. Barraco had some really interesting jams in friend of the devil that nicely spiced that song up for me. China rider was smoking and the monster seamless transition had more than one person in the crowd with hands on their head wondering what the heck just happened to their minds. really enjoyed the st of circumstance as well. just didn't want the firSt set to end. the Althea opener was unusual and rick was starting to hone in on the specific show. mattson has some really hardcore face melt moments in cc rider and the estimated terrapin was just delightful. I think it goes without saying that terrapin in my favorite song and I jump up and down in joy everytime I get to here it. the dew was spectacular and had a pin drop moment when mattson just lit it up vocally. went down to dance with wienke for Alabama and was impressed with how much merch these utonians were scooping up. all in all I loved the show and would give salt lake city an A+. I'm glad I finally made it to Utah for a show and heck I might even go back. see you in boulder!

Jen, have seen several shows in SLC...tons of older hippies..as a matter, maybe the oldest crowd in the country...love it there...if it wasnt for work, i would have been there for sure...they have done a 2 show run there only once and that was the ticket!

• Forum MVP

The Grateful Dead played some killer shows in Salt Lake City

8/12/81! Might As Well bust out (1st since 2/79) and a pretty rare early 80s Dew.

Also an acoustic era 9/70 show and a '73 show with the 1st Bid You Goodnight in 2 years.

And I guess we can acknowledge that they played there in '95, but only because of the Visions.

Archived