Montclair

August West

• Forum MVP

3/19 1973 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, New York

1: Promised, He's Gone, Mexicali, TLEO, Looks Like Rain, Wave That Flag, Box Of Rain, Race Is On, Row Jimmy, El Paso, China > Rider, Around, Tennessee Jed, Playin'

2: Loose Lucy, Me & My Uncle, Brown Eyed Women, Big River, Half Step, Stella Blue, Jack Straw, Truckin' > Other One > Eyes > China Doll, Johnny B. Goode.

E1: Casey Jones

E2: Saturday Night

Holy smokes, this was an exciting and energetic show!  From the first notes of "Promised" the band demonstrated it meant business, and they all appeared happy to be on stage. I was also pleasantly surpised to hear how well Skip was meshing with the bands sound, it being only his third show with them. I had seen him sit in with the band a couple of times before, but just for encores. He has seriously big shoes to fill, as Kevin had such a profound influence on the band's overall tone, but I thought he did a remarkably good job. If he ends up being their new permanent bassist, I, for one, will be very happy!

A major highlight for me in the first set was "Box of Rain" as it was simply beautiful, and the crowd gave Skip a HUGE roar after its climax... he sure can SING!!! Other highlights for me in the first set were a carefully crafted "Wave that Flag", which many folks in the audience had never heard the correct lyrics to, but everyone new the refrain; a fantastic, soulful "China>Rider", and the foot-stomping, loud "Around", which Eaton and the rest took to incredible heights. The "Playin'" set closer also featured some bone-tingling frenziness before settling back into the final verses, and was a great way to end the 15-song(!) first set.

Second set opened with a slow, early version of "Loose Lucy", which, to my ears, sounded more like a 1990's GD version. It was good, but I am partial to the faster-paced ones from 1974. "Uncle" was given a powerful reading by Eaton, and his voice was pitch-perfect... in fact, both he and Jeff were in very fine voice this night. The long, tasty "Half-Step" was my final song of the evening, as I was dog tired and fading fast, but what a version this was!!! Jeff seemed SO into it, and you could tell the rest of band was, too. I'd appreciate any feedback on the rest of the show, as it looks great on paper.

• Forum MVP

Sucks you left early I feel the show really started going during brown eyed woman. At least that when I started spending most of my time dancing and less time distracted. I may review later. First night port chester is the priority. Tonight Brooklyn

Archived