When it rains it pours: JGB Fall '89 mini-box set

John A

• Forum MVP

The music of Jerry Garcia, in a variety of forms, has been pouring down upon us.  And this is good.  The two shows being released represent an amazing peak in latter era JGB; Fall '89 through Spring '91.  I didn't see any of these east coast dates, but the anticipation of a Weir-Wasserman set followed by some top flight JGB at the Orpheum Theater was as good as it gets.

This release is as no-brainer as it gets.  Two great Jerry shows on back to back nights with the ultra rare Bob and Rob sets preceeding them.  Each act only repeats two songs in these two evenings...

September 5th, 1989
Hartford Civic Center – Hartford, CT

Bob Weir & Rob Wasserman
Festival, Fever, K.C. Moan, Desolation Row, Looks Like Rain, The Winners, Victim or the Crime -> Wasserman Bass Improvisation no. 1 -> Throwing Stones

Jerry Garcia Band
Set One: Cats Under the Stars, They Love Each Other, Waiting for a Miracle, Run for the Roses, Like a Road, My Sisters and Brothers, Deal

Set Two: The Harder They Come, Mission in the Rain, Forever Young, Evangeline, Gomorrah, Don't Let Go -> Lonesome and a Long Way From Home

September 6th, 1989
Nassau Coliseum – Uniondale, NY

Bob Weir & Rob Wasserman
Walking Blues, City Girls -> Fever, Blackbird -> When I Paint My Masterpiece, Shade of Grey -> The Winners -> Easy to Slip -> Wasserman Bass Improvisation no. 2, Heaven Help The Fool

Jerry Garcia Band
Set One: How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), Stop That Train, That's What Love Will Make You Do, Mississippi Moon, I Second That Emotion, And It Stoned Me, Deal

Set Two: The Harder They Come, Dear Prudence, I Shall Be Released, Let It Rock, Evangeline, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up in Blue divider_dot.jpg

Was supposed to catch the Alpine Valley show of this tour (I think it was this tour) and failed.  Never saw JGB but saw Bob and Rob a couple of times.  I just remembered I wasn't into JGB at all.  Ugh.  Such a dumb young Tom.  

There has been so many great releases the last few years but for some reason this has me really excited.  

• Forum MVP

got to see both merriweathers to open the tour and the Alpine> Poplar Creek to close. There are really good audience videos of both the Hartford and Nassau shows that have been in circulation since 1990. nice to synched up the audience video with these recent audio releases. thanks for the heads up John A!

Archived