pabst theatre, milwaukee,wi 2-1-2014

jns

Milwaukee knows how to throw a good party.  The entrance was frisk-free, greeted with several levels of floors to choose from after tossing the coat.  Beer was nice and cheap at $4.50 for 16-oz, with parking at $5.  Plenty of security which should have been monitoring for actual problems but mainly looked for flames to shine the flashlight on you like they were the SS.  So many first times at this show for seeing DSO play.  Jack Straw and West LA were nice and laid back, no hurry, as was Mexicali.  But as soon as Sitting on Top started, things changed and the band picked up some speed.  Black-Throated Wind, now there's one that is usually kinda slow but seemed uptempo and energetic.  Jeff got into Dupree's and nailed the story like he was tellin' a kindergarten class.  Lisa couldn't have done better with You Ain't Woman Enough, and the crowd responded with the longest applause all night.  Mission in the Rain, too much goodness there, and Jeff illustrates why Jerry decided to use it as his own.  Let it Grow was really hot at the end for the recap of the last verse.  Set opener of Here Comes Sunshine was neat, never seen them do it before, and Music Never Stopped kicked major vibes.  Prudence...first 'come out to pl-ayyyy' was echoed by the crowd and we knew it would be greatness.  Terrapin, very nice all the way through.   Drums was deep as usual, those guys are artists to say the least.  So Glad You Made It was next up, never seen them do it before, and that is my go-to humming tune at work.  Wheel was intense, and I thought If I Had the World to Give was an interesting choice for this point in the concert.  But it picked back up immediately with a totally kickin' Around and Around with Rob leading the way.  And White Rabbit, well, you can imagine that one on your own.  Much chiller tonight than at the Vic and not as drunk so I think my memory retained a little more than normal.  Leaving the place was cool too, many exits and security out front keeping everyone out of the street.  Well done.

jack straw >west LA>mexicali >sitting on top of the world >B.T.wind >dupree's diamond.......>U ain't woman enough...>mission in the rain >let it grow >H.C. sunshine>music no stop

dear prudence>saint >terrapin >jam >drumz >Space >gimme some lovin >wheel >world to give >around n around >E: White Rabbit

Mexicali completely blew my mind, I have never heard that song in that way. Let It Grow.. oh wow. This entire show was liquid for me. Special and most greatful thanks to the guy on my left for getting me a water when I was overheating badly and couldn't walk. I messed up a bit and he saved my ass. A few show thoughts that came back to me today at work:

-Bob Weir is a prophet

-If I ever form a stoner rock band it will be called 'Battle Baby'(?????)

-This is one of the heaviest shows ever

-Jeff IS Jerry(yeah super cheesy I know)

So looking forward to Ratdog in Milwaukee next month!!!

show was really hot.  especially those drums. Overall I still think I prefer the Madtown show, but the Pabst is a very special place to see a show.

Highlights for me were: sittin on top of the world, dupree's, bt wind, mission in the rain, dear prudence, drums, white rabbit

Great vibes from the crowd, super cool neighbors sitting next to me.  We had amazing seats, about 4th row dead center.

Bro, did you smoke the acid?

I wish! Smoke? I was in the green zone and it tends to hit me very hard, as if I'm into something of the soil or of the sky. I also love beer!

I wish I was still at that show, it was right up there for me with the best Other Ones/'The Dead'/Furthur shows I've been to. I still can't get over how powerful the energy was in that place! As soon as I found a seat I knew we were going to be in for it. Milwaukee knows how to party! I didn't experience any DSO shows quite like that last year even at The Fillmore SF, only Furthur in Berkeley tops it for crowd energy.

Archived