7/31/15

old & in the way

off to a grate start forJerry's Birthday bash. original show.  miracle-J-A Roe-BIODTL-Dupree's- Heart of Me- Mama Tried- Mexicali- China-Rider.      set2- Dancing-C R & Snow- Stephen- Terrapin -At a Siding-Terrapin Flyer- D/S- NFA-U J Band- Dew.       Mister Charlie/ Box.

• Forum MVP

This show broke a 30 year streak I had runnin. 50 or so GD shows starting in 85 and 60 or so DSO shows starting in 05 and never missed an opener until this night. A few years ago in Atl they started playing while we were waiting in the clusterfuck out front, but I could hear it and made it in before it ended, whew. The hell of it is for this night was we were just hanging enjoying some good fellowship and easily could've been there. Oh well, streaks were made to be broken, just hate I missed that Duprees. Nuff said bout that. Somehow, by the end of the night my cup had been filled. That second set was a monster for me. Big dance space stage left on the grass and I ate up a bunch of it. I'd guess about 1/4 acre is the perfect amount of dance space. As I spin, flail and twirl, seeing familiar smiling faces gives me more and more energy. After the Dew I was sort of hoping for something mellow I could sway to and begin to recover and they throw a Mr Charlie out there. Uhhh, that's a dance hard number for me. Then the Box.... Thank you..... This venue is gorgeous, but when it's hot, it's hotter down in that hole. Love, love the campground after the show. The DSO family is a blessing and just fucking fun to hang with.

• Forum MVP

I've seen 3 permutations of DSO doing the full terrapin and loved everyone of them. It seems to me, even though someone disagreed with my theory, that the full terrapin is sort of like a DSO original somg in that the band never became biased in hearing tons of versions of it like so many other dead songs and is making it their own. Even if they wanted to do other dead songs in a completely original way, they may still be influenced by all of the other versions but they don't have that corruption with terrapin. This version was completely different than Chicago or jubilee starting with at a siding and that echoey guitar part was very unique and I haven't heard any Jerry licks that sounded like that. Note that it's hard for me to remember music post show as I'm in the moment and move on to the present but my mind now tells me maybe it had a pink Floyd guitar feel to it. Since no more boards are being released I'll have to hope for an audience to pop up soon to be able to reflect on it.

Archived