Jubilation night one

Hardpan

Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY (6/27/85)

Midnight Hour
Bertha
Little Red Rooster
Stagger Lee
El Paso
Crazy Fingers
Supplication
High Time
Hell in a Bucket
Don't Ease Me In

Feel Like a Stranger
Eyes of the World
Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
Man Smart/Woman Smarter
drums
Truckin'
Spoonful
Black Peter
Turn on Your Love Light

Johnny B. Goode
Baby Blue

• Like (+1) 6

What a great show. A damp, windy, bone chilling day, but the band played superbly in the face of it. Awesome spots front and center shared among many good friends thanks to the kindness of Pat and MC. Seeing the Beast and GS-1 on stage had me excited for an 80s ripper, just what I was hoping for, and a ripper it was. Cotter had the sound dialed in so perfectly, really great to hear him work his magic on a big sound system after so long. 

I remember lot of this show as an exuberant blur. El Paso stands out in the first set as high energy. Hearing Supplication emerge out of Crazy Fingers was awesome. Ellie was given a heartfelt farewell from the stage by Eaton, a touching moment, followed by Hell in a Bucket, which I really wanted to hear more than anything, and it was just what the Dr. ordered, raunchy and hot. 

The band took the stage for set 2, tuning up with Stranger in the air. Great, lush keyboard tones from Barraco, he sounded amazing. Stranger got the dance floor worked up into a happy frenzy, which continued with Eyes. A light rain began to fall along with a cross breeze, and the lighting caught it perfectly, creating the effect of millions of swirling speckles. It was beautiful. The fun continued with GDTRFB and Women are Smarter, and into drums.

Drums was a highlight, with Koritz doing what sounded like a looping overlay thing with xylophone kind of sounds and Dino playing all of these woody sounding tones. They worked this all up for a while and then, seamlessly, Koritz started pounding on the big drums. I stood transfixed, fascinated with how 3D and huge the sound seemed to be as it came out of the musicians and into the air.  As I was standing there thinking about this, a stranger came up and whacked me on the shoulder and said “you can really feel this in your heart”. It was one of many synchronicities me and that guy shared over the evening, when several times, as my mind began wandering and started thinking crazy things, we would catch each other’s eye and start laughing. It was pretty funny, and we made friends after the show. 

Truckin was high energy, had a great section of enthusiastic dancers with Bill K leading the charge! Walked back a bit and found more friends during Black Peter and Lovelight to close out the show. Went back up front for the encores, Baby Blue was like a warm embrace. Walked back to camp to get some dry clothes on and enjoyed the rest of the night. A long review, I guess I remembered more than I thought! As you can tell, it was a really fun night, thanks to everyone ❤️

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1