Medical question

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

I believe there is a dentist on the board and maybe a doctor or someone with similar experience. My long time guitar playing friend had a stroke that left fluid on his brain. He going in for surgery to remove it since meds aren't doing it. The reference he has is from a co worker who had this same surgery being told odds are in his favor; however, he didn't survive. The surgeon says he has 87-90% of making it through. I was with him last night and he is terrified. He's going to get on April 4th. Does anyone here know of someone who had this done and can give us another perspective? Thank you for letting me post. As you all know this forum is a place I go to lots and respect all who engage. I'll probably delete this after thinking about what I just did. 

First post/reply in years.

My dad had the same surgery 20 years ago when he was approaching his mid 70s.  The doctor said the same thing about his chances, although the odds may have been lower for him. He went through very well and recovered relatively quickly even at his age at the time.

Taking your friends age and 20 more years of medical industry experience, I believe he’ll be fine. 

since I haven’t posted in years, shout out of praise to all those Boulder and Red Rocks shows.  Last summer’s Hamptons Long Island   show was absolutely spectacular.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

My mom had a surgery where they had to put stents in the tubes in the back of her skull because the fluid wasn’t draining out. She was scared shitless for years, wouldn’t have the surgery, fought with my dad about it. Her former neurologist told her it was a horrible operation. The fluid buildup made her keep falling down. My dad learned that if he called 911 after a fall, they would take her to the hospital, get evaluated further. (Furthur?) when she was in the hospital, a family member visiting my mom’s roommate was talking with my mom. My mom told him she needed the operation but was looking for a sign. The person told my mom, ‘I am your sign. Let me be your sign.’ My mom said ‘ok’, Had the surgery and was fine. True story. 

• Thanks (+1) 1