Bill Walton 30 for 30

bs69

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

I finally got to this, and I'm through 2 of the 4 episodes.  Thus far it's awesome.  Looking forward to the rest of it.

Episode 1 has a seemingly nonstop barrage of Dead tunes, most of which are integrated into the Walton narrative remarkably well.  But especially impressive are Eyes of the World, when Walton has achieved top level high school success after a crazed growth spurt and is now considered the next real hoops deal, and Estimated Prophet, when they're hammering home the unbeatable nature of UCLA basketball, Pauly Pavilion in particular, and Walton's arrival there. 

Episode 2 has an epic inclusion of Morning Dew. They retrace the big anti-Vietnam rally on UCLA's campus that Walton was a part of and was arrested over.  During the narrative of "this is where everyone on campus went this day" the Dew seemlessly reached the "where have all the people gone today" verse.  Of course the concept whereby Dead songs mean different things at different times to different people based on life's circumstances is well known to Deadheads , but I thought it was a wickedly good how they reinterpreted the pathos of the song's meaning. Instead of "there's no people here because civilization's been obliterated", they used it to amp the intensity that all the people ARE HERE, and moreover they're all participating in this important political statement on a college campus.  But even more powerful was the montage of grizzly, rapid fire, still images involving the police response, which was done in perfect time with Phil's big dramatic base notes at the opening of the first jam.  Brilliant stuff.

• Like (+1) 2