Franklin's Tower

Man Smart/Woman Smarter

drums

Gimme Some Lovin'

Black Peter

Turn on Your Love Light

Encore: Baby Blue

Filler: Around and Around, How Sweet it Is, Ripple

hey Chuck, thanks man, im working late tonight in the office and was hoping to get some word on the proceedings goin down at the hob

looks like a real cool song list

im looking forward to reading more about from folks at the show, im sure the house is rockin

peace and fun everyone!

bp

Reliable sources say:

Civic Center, Hartford CT (4/3/88)

Promised Land

Greatest Story Ever Told

Althea

Little Red Rooster

Cold Rain and Snow

Stuck Inside of Mobile

Box of Rain

Don't Ease Me In

Playin' in the Band

Crazy Fingers

Franklin's Tower

Man Smart/Woman Smarter

drums

Gimme Some Lovin'

Black Peter

Turn on Your Love Light

Any 80's show ending with Lovelight is sure to be a blast. Couldn't make this road trip, I'll be in the Keys this time tomorrow and couldn't get away from work. Lobster Season opens on the 6th and the past few years there have been plenty to go around.

Peace,

Joe

Guest darbysdad

It Seems That This Band Really,Really Kicks Ass At The HOB ,To Wit Another Bombastic Performance Of Grateful Dead Music.The Band Was Absolutely Lovin What They Were Doing And It Permeated Through The Crowd,Through My Skull And Out My Old Feet.

Althea Was So Very,Very Heavy....Freeking Hairs On End Heavy, Moshing Into A Dual Slide Gitar Rooster!!!

Smashing Into One Of My Fave Shake Yo Ass Songs...Memphis Blues= Sweat City

Kevin Bucked Up So Well On Box...High Energy/Emotion Song ...To An Awesome Set Ending Don't Ease

Out To The Boardwalk For A Smoke And Call To Aaron At GOTV To Rub It In On Another Missed 88 Show

Set Two Lifted Off With The Most Righteous Playin (Made A Couple Of Swings Along The Back Edges On This Tune)

Crazy Fingers Into Frankin's Acheived Saturn Rocket Power Liftoff And Continued Blasting Through The Ionosphere,

Stratoshere With Women Smarter To One Of The Most Physical Power Note Bass Bombing Drums /Space I've Ever Been Able To Survive

The Black Peter Literally Made Me Melt Right There Only To Be Rescued By The Lovelight

BTW,Words Fail When Attempting To Reconstruct The Shiz That Went Down Thanks To Our National Treasure,DSO

That Ripple Had Me Tearing Up And Twirling Simultaneously

super great time. never was a minute late. man oh man we freakin blew it up! thanks to all the beautiful dancers. I was really impressed as always with the NJ crowd. Ya'll rock....LOVE and thanks to JERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We love you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP
Reliable sources say:

Civic Center, Hartford CT (4/3/88)

Promised Land

Greatest Story Ever Told

Althea

Little Red Rooster

Cold Rain and Snow

Stuck Inside of Mobile

Box of Rain

Don't Ease Me In

Playin' in the Band

Crazy Fingers

Franklin's Tower

Man Smart/Woman Smarter

drums

Gimme Some Lovin'

Black Peter

Turn on Your Love Light

Here's a great take on this show from a friend of mine who started seeing them in the late 70s. This is from our GD Email rant...His name is Hunts.

4/3/88 - Easter Sunday - while you have some shows that are your favorites because they are hands-down great shows, there are others that stand out for other reasons. This show stands out for me as one of Jerry's most courageous moments...."playing hurt" because the show must go on. While we have all seen Jerry either sick or in a bad way, this show is unique for me because Jerry was trying so hard to make it work....

Got in the show and Jerry's voice sounded very hoarse during the 1st set, and by the end of the set, there was absolutely nothing there (I later heard he had bronchitis...who knows?). I would have fully understood if he didn't sing at all during the 2nd set (a la San Diego '78), or even not come out at all. They do come out, open with Playing and you figure this is going to be a spacey set with little Jerry vocals. Wrong!! Into Crazy, a song that even on his best night he had a problem with - it was painful, but at the same time emotional because you could just see the poor guy up there giving it his all. The whole time, however, I am thinking this is it - no more Jerry vocals. Wrong again!! Beautiful fade out of Fingers into a Franklins - the crowd is shocked and ecstatic at the same time - I still will say one of the highlights of my Dead career - the energy of that intro was amazing - don't get me wrong - this was not technically the best show, but just the emotion behind Jerry continuing to belt it out against all odds - truely a "not a dry eye in the house" moment - the show could have ended there as far as I was concerned - everything from that point on was gravy.

A couple of non-Jerry tunes and then the Peter - once again riveting with emotion - against all odds - goes thru the whole song - a couple of the barely audible "Let's go, run and sees" and then Jerry takes the mike off the stand, and throws it on the ground in disgust and enters into one of the angriest, ripping Peter fade out leads which then breaks into a highly charged Lovelight which comes to an end and then starts up all over again. Once again, a unique Grateful Dead moment, and one that I still to this day cherish.

Encore????

Baby Blue.....

I hate to use a sports/Hollywood analogy, but remember the first Rocky movie, where the bell rings to start the 15th round, and you're not sure if Rocky is going to come out...againt all odds, he eventually staggers out, eyes puffed shut, bleeding from multiple spots...and there's a look on Apollo Creed's face combining nervous trepidation with "I can't believe this guy is coming out for more?" It was kind of like that....and the fact that Rocky utlimately lost the fight didn't really matter because it was such a courageous performance...it was the same with the Baby Blue.

• Forum MVP
Here's a great take on this show from a friend of mine who started seeing them in the late 70s. This is from our GD Email rant...His name is Hunts.

4/3/88 - Easter Sunday - while you have some shows that are your favorites because they are hands-down great shows, there are others that stand out for other reasons. This show stands out for me as one of Jerry's most courageous moments...."playing hurt" because the show must go on. While we have all seen Jerry either sick or in a bad way, this show is unique for me because Jerry was trying so hard to make it work....

Got in the show and Jerry's voice sounded very hoarse during the 1st set, and by the end of the set, there was absolutely nothing there (I later heard he had bronchitis...who knows?). I would have fully understood if he didn't sing at all during the 2nd set (a la San Diego '78), or even not come out at all. They do come out, open with Playing and you figure this is going to be a spacey set with little Jerry vocals. Wrong!! Into Crazy, a song that even on his best night he had a problem with - it was painful, but at the same time emotional because you could just see the poor guy up there giving it his all. The whole time, however, I am thinking this is it - no more Jerry vocals. Wrong again!! Beautiful fade out of Fingers into a Franklins - the crowd is shocked and ecstatic at the same time - I still will say one of the highlights of my Dead career - the energy of that intro was amazing - don't get me wrong - this was not technically the best show, but just the emotion behind Jerry continuing to belt it out against all odds - truely a "not a dry eye in the house" moment - the show could have ended there as far as I was concerned - everything from that point on was gravy.

A couple of non-Jerry tunes and then the Peter - once again riveting with emotion - against all odds - goes thru the whole song - a couple of the barely audible "Let's go, run and sees" and then Jerry takes the mike off the stand, and throws it on the ground in disgust and enters into one of the angriest, ripping Peter fade out leads which then breaks into a highly charged Lovelight which comes to an end and then starts up all over again. Once again, a unique Grateful Dead moment, and one that I still to this day cherish.

Encore????

Baby Blue.....

I hate to use a sports/Hollywood analogy, but remember the first Rocky movie, where the bell rings to start the 15th round, and you're not sure if Rocky is going to come out...againt all odds, he eventually staggers out, eyes puffed shut, bleeding from multiple spots...and there's a look on Apollo Creed's face combining nervous trepidation with "I can't believe this guy is coming out for more?" It was kind of like that....and the fact that Rocky utlimately lost the fight didn't really matter because it was such a courageous performance...it was the same with the Baby Blue.

What an awesome description of the show. That got me fired up for MORE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Encore????

Baby Blue.....

Interesting. I was curious about how the AC HOB show seemed to de-emphasize the Garcia tunes. Now I know why. Thanks for the historical perspective.

Archived