8-2-08 Buffalo

nwnj steve

• Forum MVP

DSO played 12-5-81, Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, Indiana

First Set:

Alabama

Promised Land

(45 minute rain delay with a beautiful rainbow behind the stage afterwards)

Friend of the Devil

CC Rider

Cumberland ( the clock on the stage turned to a quarter to eight exactly when John sang, "Little Ben clock turned quarter to eight.)

El Paso

Ramblin on Rose

Passenger

Bird Song

Let it Grow

Second Set:

Shakedown

Sailor/Saint

Big Railroad Blues

Playin/Drums/Space

Wheel/Playin

Stella

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

Saturday Night

Filler:

Box of Rain

Brothers and Sisters

So this show was smokin. I can't say enough about it. Everyone was on fire. Stella blew me away and Let it Grow is always a favorite. Sailor and Saint were superb. The bass drum was so clean and loud and pure that it felt like my heart was pounding with it. Kevin was even dancing here and there through the night. Box of Rain was one of the best I've seen. Brothers and Sisters was reverant. Felt like a tribute to the big guy in the sky.

Besides the momentary rain delay it was a beautiful night with a magnificant rainbow that sealed the mood. Dancing in the streets down by the river in Buffalo.

So great to meet and see everyone from the boards. And once again a big thank you to Sue, Vince and Torrin. "I stayed in every blue light cheap motel".

Fantastic two night run just wish I could have stayed for tonight. Looks like it's going to be good, from my sources at the show, War Memorial 9/27/1976. I did some shows at the War Memorial, not that one but those memories are embedded in my soul.

Peace Kris

This was my third DSO show.....as someone who has seen the Grateful Dead MANY times, I must say this show was very special.....

The Gateway concert series is a beautiful venue, right by the canal......Unfortunately they usually get retread 80s bands and no names.....

I was so HAPPY to see DSO on the schedule and had this pencilled in my schedule for months.......along with Bruce Hornsby next saturday.....

DSO did NOT dissapoint......It was a very magical show......(How many magical dead shows have you seen when a Rainbow appeared above the venue :) .....myself....quite a few (Always a sure sign of a good night )

Highlights for me

Ramble On Rose (I know after this night...."I know this song, it ain't, never gonna end" :) )

Let It Grow (Great Jam at the End)

Shakedown (Western NY has sooo much heart)

Stella Blue (EXCELLENT)

and the Box of Rain/Sisters and Brothers Filler.....a perfect choice for this day.....

Free Magic by the canal....what more could you ask for?.....

I am very impressed with John's progression since the last time I seen DSO.....the magic in his lead guitar has grown by leaps and bounds since the last time I saw DSO in 2006.......

I would have gone to Rochester today If I could have fit it in the schedule.....

This will be the first year I visit Gratefulfest.....Its far enough ahead where I can fit it in the schedule///

3 Days of DSO should keep me good until they return to Western NY.......

Once again great show and Magical night......

I saw more of the Buffalo GD old timers at the show since it was free unlike the last one I attended at Club Infinity in 2006.....and It looked to me, most of em felt something they haven't in awhile.....(Venues like this where it's free but the Band still gets paid is what will help DSO grow, hopefully we will see DSO at Thursday in the square next year, in Buffalo.......)

I predict that in the next 2 years DSO will need bigger venues to play in WNY such as Shea's theatre, this concert last night convinced alot of the old faithful who the magic has chosen for it's vessel :)

• Forum MVP

the energy in North Tonawanda was much much higher than the night before in Utica. this show was spectacular. the first set's close of Bird, LetItGrow was a journey. An absolutely marvelously structured and free-flowing Shakedown to open number two. the BigRR was outrageous, as was the gorgeous Wheel intro and mystical reprise of Playin. Intense Stella and SugarMag to close a very tight show. even the SaturdayNite rocked. wellllll worth the price of admission :))) really cool little street corner with a great amount of people in the crowd...for free? why the hell not go see DSO! this show was just a great step above Utica for me .. dont get me wrong, utica was fun, just the energy level and tightness of the jams greatly improved this night in N.Tonawanda... everyone was dancin, dancin, dancin in the streets!

So this show was smokin. I can't say enough about it. Everyone was on fire. Stella blew me away and Let it Grow is always a favorite. Sailor and Saint were superb. The bass drum was so clean and loud and pure that it felt like my heart was pounding with it. Kevin was even dancing here and there through the night. Box of Rain was one of the best I've seen. Brothers and Sisters was reverant. Felt like a tribute to the big guy in the sky.

Besides the momentary rain delay it was a beautiful night with a magnificant rainbow that sealed the mood. Dancing in the streets down by the river in Buffalo.

So great to meet and see everyone from the boards. And once again a big thank you to Sue, Vince and Torrin. "I stayed in every blue light cheap motel".

Fantastic two night run just wish I could have stayed for tonight. Looks like it's going to be good, from my sources at the show, War Memorial 9/27/1976. I did some shows at the War Memorial, not that one but those memories are embedded in my soul.

Peace Kris

It was so good to run into you and steve...and seeing on route 90 on the way to rochester was hilarious, such a bummer that you had to go home but I will see you guys this weekend! Can't wait :)

peace and love,

Emily

Couple days late, but I wanted to echo what I'm sure was said here (I didn't read em all very thoroughly). This was an AWESOME show. A little rain, a BIG double rainbow, and every song soared. Hopefully this one hits the archive soon. It was just too much fun playing in the grass with my and all the other little kids while DSO was jamming hard.

• Advisory Board
(How many magical dead shows have you seen when a Rainbow appeared above the venue

My only one was a the "Dead" show at Alpine Valley when the reunion happened.... Ripple was played the first night, and a beautiful rainbow appeared over the stage.... Jerry was looking down, and everything was as it should be...

Miss you Jerry....

This was my third DSO show.....as someone who has seen the Grateful Dead MANY times, I must say this show was very special.....

The Gateway concert series is a beautiful venue, right by the canal......Unfortunately they usually get retread 80s bands and no names.....

I was so HAPPY to see DSO on the schedule and had this pencilled in my schedule for months.......along with Bruce Hornsby next saturday.....

DSO did NOT dissapoint......It was a very magical show......(How many magical dead shows have you seen when a Rainbow appeared above the venue :) .....myself....quite a few (Always a sure sign of a good night )

Highlights for me

Ramble On Rose (I know after this night...."I know this song, it ain't, never gonna end" :) )

Let It Grow (Great Jam at the End)

Shakedown (Western NY has sooo much heart)

Stella Blue (EXCELLENT)

and the Box of Rain/Sisters and Brothers Filler.....a perfect choice for this day.....

Free Magic by the canal....what more could you ask for?.....

I am very impressed with John's progression since the last time I seen DSO.....the magic in his lead guitar has grown by leaps and bounds since the last time I saw DSO in 2006.......

I would have gone to Rochester today If I could have fit it in the schedule.....

This will be the first year I visit Gratefulfest.....Its far enough ahead where I can fit it in the schedule///

3 Days of DSO should keep me good until they return to Western NY.......

Once again great show and Magical night......

I saw more of the Buffalo GD old timers at the show since it was free unlike the last one I attended at Club Infinity in 2006.....and It looked to me, most of em felt something they haven't in awhile.....(Venues like this where it's free but the Band still gets paid is what will help DSO grow, hopefully we will see DSO at Thursday in the square next year, in Buffalo.......)

I predict that in the next 2 years DSO will need bigger venues to play in WNY such as Shea's theatre, this concert last night convinced alot of the old faithful who the magic has chosen for it's vessel :)

Agreed - DSO will take off over the next 5 years. They are working very hard and their game is getting really good. Older Dead Heads like me are psyched to get back into touring. After Jerry's death, I stopped listening, but my son is a total Dead Head like a lot of kids these days. So I think the old generation combined with a new generation of Dead Heads auger well for DSO. I am going to see my first Phil and Friends shows in NYC in November. Hope that works for me. I hear them on Sirius and have to admit that Phil's voice doesn't do it for me. I loved him singing Box of Rain way back when, but not because of his voice. I heard Kevin Rosen sing it in Atlantic City last week and liked it much, much better. I add this because I am not nostalgic for a weak recreation of the Dead. I have zero interest in Rat Dog. What I want is a great show and DSO is delivering the goods. Plus I get to see them in small venues as opposed to football stadiums. And my kid can be leaning against the front rail. How good is that?

• Forum MVP
That's pretty sweet. Love those Dead moments of synchronicity!

The only reason that I noticed it was becouse Nick was sitting on the side of the stage & he started laughing ,picking up the clock & showed someone back stage .That was after the rain delay .That is how in synch they were that night!!!

Agreed - DSO will take off over the next 5 years. They are working very hard and their game is getting really good. Older Dead Heads like me are psyched to get back into touring. After Jerry's death, I stopped listening, but my son is a total Dead Head like a lot of kids these days. So I think the old generation combined with a new generation of Dead Heads auger well for DSO. I am going to see my first Phil and Friends shows in NYC in November. Hope that works for me. I hear them on Sirius and have to admit that Phil's voice doesn't do it for me. I loved him singing Box of Rain way back when, but not because of his voice. I heard Kevin Rosen sing it in Atlantic City last week and liked it much, much better. I add this because I am not nostalgic for a weak recreation of the Dead. I have zero interest in Rat Dog. What I want is a great show and DSO is delivering the goods. Plus I get to see them in small venues as opposed to football stadiums. And my kid can be leaning against the front rail. How good is that?

I can say from what I have seen.....it is awesome......

The first time I saw DSO play was in 2005 at the gathering of the vibes.....when I saw them play with Melvin.....I felt something I haven't felt in a long time......

I LOVE Melvin with all my heart.....he IS AWESOME.....To see him play with DSO Was VERY SPECIAL to me.......

The magic has chosen DSO......I have no doubt, I know what I feel......just the thought that another generation might happen has me psyched.....

I was there when Kesey handed the torch to Phish.....at Darien Lake.....was dissapointed by the decision......just when I finnally started to appreciate the choice.....they dropped out of the running circa 2004.....when I saw DSO a year later.....I knew where the magic wanted to relocate.....I am SOOOOOO HAPPY to see it coming true :)

Hopefully they will have more intestinel fortitude than Phish.....because the darkness hates the magic, and was able to scare the Phish into quitting.....I already think DSO is more worthy than Phish......and It seems to me the magic has made it's choice........after Trey and his Crew decided to Quit after Kesey gave them the greatest gift they ever could possess.............this time the magic will choose where it settles and it will be up to Phil to validate it's choice.....Ken wanted you to choose Phil if he was gone.....DSO is the choice he would want you to make.......please play with them........

My only one was a the "Dead" show at Alpine Valley when the reunion happened.... Ripple was played the first night, and a beautiful rainbow appeared over the stage.... Jerry was looking down, and everything was as it should be...

Miss you Jerry....

I have literally been to 20+ dead shows where I saw a rainbow...(out of 200)

But I have been to 3 autzen stadium shows......and all 3 had a rainbow as I drove in......

to the venue :)

That is why autzen is my all time favorite venue.....there is nothing better than a show in prankster land.....

• Forum MVP

Is your name from the Bill Graham quote disparaging some of the behaviors of dead heads and calling them lead heads? Or is it because you're a Zeppelen fan? I remember the Cal State '90 shows when Bill and his people were running around like crazy trying to explain to some upset people that his comments in a recent article were taken out of context and explaining what he really meant. I had no idea what had happened and recall being surprised that so many sweaty and dirty people could be angry with Bill Graham.

Guest salvatore

this show was amazing. my first one...and i don't think it really could have been much better.

my friend and i took the day off work and left livonia, mi around 10 am. it was supposed to take us 5 hours to get there, and we figured we'd get there early and hang around. but after getting stuck at the new york/canada border for almost 3 hours, we ended up arriving in buffalo much later than we had planned. we arrived at the venue and the first thing i heard was the start of friend of the devil. wondering how much of the concert we had missed, we asked the first person we saw. it turns out, after they played alabama getaway and promised land, a storm caused a delay. they had just started playing again! our luck was amazing, and to top it off...a rainbow was right above the stage. the show was remarkable. being only 19, i never got to see the dead...but i must say, the experience i had at this concert was amazing. there were so many highlights i couldn't even begin to comprehend them. i will never forget that night, and i can't wait to see dso again.

this show was amazing. my first one...and i don't think it really could have been much better.

my friend and i took the day off work and left livonia, mi around 10 am. it was supposed to take us 5 hours to get there, and we figured we'd get there early and hang around. but after getting stuck at the new york/canada border for almost 3 hours, we ended up arriving in buffalo much later than we had planned. we arrived at the venue and the first thing i heard was the start of friend of the devil. wondering how much of the concert we had missed, we asked the first person we saw. it turns out, after they played alabama getaway and promised land, a storm caused a delay. they had just started playing again! our luck was amazing, and to top it off...a rainbow was right above the stage. the show was remarkable. being only 19, i never got to see the dead...but i must say, the experience i had at this concert was amazing. there were so many highlights i couldn't even begin to comprehend them. i will never forget that night, and i can't wait to see dso again.

Yeah the rainbow was a nice touch :)

Just a little tidbit of information...It seems that the undercover police were in effect during this show. It was discovered that mid-way thru the show alcohol was sold to 2 minors and because of this the Hornsby show was moved to the Town Ballroom and instead of a free show tickets were at $25. Labatt Blue has since resigned as sponsor of the shows at Gateway Park and the city of Tonawanda is looking for a new sponsor and will consider re-newing the liquor license. Hopefully all will work out as this is a great place to watch live music.

I am going to see my first Phil and Friends shows in NYC in November. Hope that works for me. I hear them on Sirius and have to admit that Phil's voice doesn't do it for me. I loved him singing Box of Rain way back when, but not because of his voice.

Phil is a very special one.....his bass playing cannot be denied as magical.....Phil may have not been blessed with the best voice......but he penned two unsung songs that are timeless.........

But what makes Phil so special......is he penned down a few of the creators unsung songs with no help........

Box of Rain and Unbroken chain are very Important (and I was in attendance the first time unbroken chain was played in concert).......not one of the dead members besides Phil penned down one of the creators songs like Phil without help from others........

Just a little tidbit of information...It seems that the undercover police were in effect during this show. It was discovered that mid-way thru the show alcohol was sold to 2 minors and because of this the Hornsby show was moved to the Town Ballroom and instead of a free show tickets were at $25. Labatt Blue has since resigned as sponsor of the shows at Gateway Park and the city of Tonawanda is looking for a new sponsor and will consider re-newing the liquor license. Hopefully all will work out as this is a great place to watch live music.

Whenever good vibes converge......you can always count on the darkness is ready to do what it can to stop it......

There is a battle between good and evil......

Hopefully those who shine a light and promote goodness will win in the end......that is all we can hope for.......

.......there are already people in WNY looking to take over the gateway concert series....

The current promoters didn't place security along the docks and the underage people they caught were more than likely people who brought their own alcohol via this enterance, there is a bar down the dock....which is where I suspect the alcohol came from.......we got a few beers there after the promoters shut off beer sales.......and brought them in no hassle....the difference is we were of age to drink.....

It won't be easy.....no one ever said it would.......Just do what is right (follow the golden rule).....treat others as you wish to be treated and everything else will work itself out....

Guest cheesusfreak
thanks so much Don! heading to etree right now to begin getting the files. I appreciate your posting this.

Have a Grate Day~

You won't be disappointed. It's a quality recording & the show is FRIGGIN' SMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOKIN!!!!!

Don

WV

:icon14::icon14:

• Forum MVP

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((SWEET SOUND~!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I only wish Andy would have also recorded the first two songs, but even though he arrived late, he included the first two songs from another taper. How cool is that! This is a must have show!!! Get it now on etree...

Archived