Pompano Beach

chinacats111

So what more can I add, only my reaction to an incredible run. For the acutal Pompano show I was somewhat dismayed in the beginning due to the enormous amount of cigarette smokers in my area. Fortnately they, (the nicotine users) decided to vacate which opened up a huge spot on the rail. More space then I ever imagined, in what was a very crowded venue. Was glad to see a good turn out. Trails were flying off of Barraco's hands in the second set. I loved Black Peter, always one of my favorites, the hair stands up on my arms and I get goose bumps all over. I found the sound all 4 nights to be top notch, thank you Cotter for doing an exceptional job. the DSO crew was great, had so much fun travelling, hanging, eating, dancing, singing, "Those were the days". Thank you DSO for a break from my normal insanity and a chance to connect to the spirit. You create a space for just that.

Namaste Kris

Guest South FL Steve
They can repeat Loser every night...

Speaking of loser...Jannus Landing @ St. Petersburg was delicious. Pompano offered up a cloudy venue. Everyone was energetic as hell. Dancin' was incredible and not one person stood still -- the Drums after was ok, but not better than Jax. All in all, I say that if the good times are always rollin' like they were this past handful of days then sign me up. lol Parting with everyone was terribly sad. Sadder yet for those of you who were bound for the Northern snowstorms. Weather was nicer in the couple days following and it was SO cool that some of you kept me company here in boring S Florida :P Thanks to Vince and Sue for their 5 star hospitality!!! Being my first gathering with everyone I definitely hope there are more to come. Maybe I'll see a couple of you along the way for this tour, but can't say when just yet.

• Forum MVP

such a fun way to end the 4 !! a really amazing 78 show. just amazing. venue was interesting but dancing space turned out to be really good! half step>franklins>dancin...yeah i'll take that every show, soooo powerful. NFA was really hot and the Peter was incredible. and we all got that Shakedown that we were waiting for!!! this show is on archive and sounds pretty good to me! what a fantastic run, another one leaving me speechless and really sad that i've got to wait a while for more shows....maybe i'll meet you on the runnnnnnn

The Starhead Express awoke in Ormand Beach at a little house that was offered to us by a friend of Steve & Kris'. It was another example of how perfect everything was going. We were southbound, looking forward to our lunch at Conchy Joes in Jenson Beach with Row Jimmy. Great to see Jim again, it's been way too long. After a fantastic meal and photos by the Intercoastal, it was time to finish the run. Down in Pompano, we all gathered again, in a smoke filled dive (how is that legal?), to experience the magic. It was jammed tight in front until they opened the other side of the balcony. This place reminded me of a mini version of the Rochester War Memorial, Syracuse Memorial, Broome County Arena, or any other little General Admission shithole, I've seen the Dead in. Once it all started, though, it was pure bliss. The energy in the 2nd set was pouring out & into the streets. By the time Peter wound down (JK clearly wanted another run up the strings!), the Around & Around was liftoff!! The entire place, upstairs, rear, & especially up front was rockin in unison! One of those "please don't let this end nights!". The double encore kept the feet moving, but the Gloria drained every last bit of life. So out into the lot to say all those sad farewells for now, and the long drive to Orlando Airport. Family was the word of this leg, and no other band brings people together like DSO. The Starhead Express rolls on! It was great touring with Steve, Kris, Brian, Gary, Connie, Jordan, Mason, Torin, Chuck, SFL Steve (yea, we needed another Steve on this board!), Frank, Rick, Bobby, Gabe (The Oklahoma boys). It was great seeing family members, Lisa, Row Jimmy, Kelly (G-L-O-R-I-A!), Ellen, Emma, & Nantucket, & finally meeting Teacher Matt.

Peace to all....Time to look at those calenders & flight plans.

2 weeks ago I was in NJ wondering how I can get to Florida. Between jobs $ tight. I decided that 4 nights of DSO would fill my spirit more than cable TV. DSO wins and goodbye to cable TV.

Words cannot describe the vibe/spirit of this southern run. Starting with Vince picking me up at airport and sue at command central coordinating everyones pick-up and arrivals, the electric energy in the air as it was getting close to showtime, getting to know new and old even better, watching the next generation of heads and reminiscing of days long past.

Shows were what they were meant to be - speechless! HOB a great warmup for a stellar show in the rain at Janis landing, this show had a comfortable feel and great energy, left me thinking it can't get any better only to be proven wrong in Jacksonville! This was all around special, sound, dance space, selection and an energy coming from the music that would have been seen as an electric current if it was in days gone by, special thanks to mark for finding and holding a special sweatshirt that I lost in NJ 2 months ago having kissed it goodbye to be reunited with it at Jacksonville. Each morning was a little harder to move these aching bones. Getting to Pompano and getting in line for tickets I said to Steve "this is a strange crowd" I was feeling like I was at a southern Starland Ballroom and wondered why DSO is playing there. Waiting for the show to start I kept saying water reaches it's own level and I was right, it was not long before the non-dancers left us plenty of room to get down. Surrounded by people I love, listening to music I love, played with love, left me knowing that all that has been my life has lead up to this day.

Special thanks to Vince&Sue for everything, Steve&Kris I Love you guys more than yesterday - - - - - - Gary& connie, torin jordan jimmy chuck lisa ellen and everyone else.

Thank you kevin dino rob rob and rob for the glue that holds all together, driving beat,rythm&vocals and a very erie but good energy from the keys, lisa - i never heard such a sweet voice delivered with a power that leaves me in awe, John jerry is truly channeled through you. THANK YOU DSO!!!

Now I am left with feeling like I should abandon any thought of living within the bounds of normal society and tour endlessly - wheelin an dealin from show to show with no reguard to anyones safety - even my own. JUST FEELING THIS WAY FRIENDS no need for alarm.

B

• Forum MVP
Now I am left with feeling like I should abandon any thought of living within the bounds of normal society and tour endlessly - wheelin an dealin from show to show with no reguard to anyones safety - even my own. JUST FEELING THIS WAY FRIENDS no need for alarm.

B

Amen, my brother. Amen. The wheel is turning...again.

Guest captain420

WOW!

FAMILY is the word for this trip, you are right Sue..and yes, didn't want it to end...but I think Gary has something up his sleeve for that problem..great to actually sit and converse with the other board folk...Brian, it was a pleasure to finally sit and chat with you...everyone was in high spirits during this trip, nothing could have brought us down...This was seriously why and how you keep us on the RUNNNNNN! The shows were great, but man, without the family to share and indulge with it would not be the same..there is no doubt we have something 'special' here and I am so grateful to be able to 'be with you' on this carousel ride..Ellen, sooo great to dance with you once again, please come to CO. I could use the energy...kelly..totally the same feeling, you girls sure know how to raise the dancing energy in a heart beat. Still there is nothing like being at a show and you look up from an amazing tune and see only starheads in the midst...can't explain....

Hospitality was on the double flim-flam! Perrotti's THANK you again for doing what you do, simply amazing people~looking forward to the next time we are together and also looking forward to hit up FL again...Steve&Kris, as always it is a pleasure to see you guys and to eat together, Bertha soundcheck in Jannus during dinner-are you kidding?rainstorm...also thank you for providing a place to rest our bones after the show..Mom & Dad...or umm you might know them as Gary and Connie.. ;) It is hard to imagine a run without you guys, the extension of your hearts is truly a blessing that will not fade away! and remember, it doesn't matter what you wear...as long as YOU are there!

SFL Steven, buddy from OK, it was great to see you and for you and your roommate to extend your kindness to a bunch of strangers, but as it turned out, no one is a stranger..you showed us a great time after the shows were over down in Ft. Lauderdale...crazy how the weather was warmer at night then during the windy day...I hated for this run to end..

Chuck, it was great to see you down front at jannus, this needs to happen more..but I understand your space issues.. DC Frank and Rick E...damn boys bloints? haha...it was great to see you guys and to drive down and share the ride with others is top notch! colorado bound? BobbyMcGee and Gabe, hell yes, glad you made it safe..watch out for Louisiana this time, skip that bitch and take that plate cover off your license plate for christ's sake! thanks for getting my nalgene back to me, but gabe, you left yours at SFL stephen's place, jfolks has it...too funny! have a safe and enjoyable tour....see you in CO soon...Lisa, thanks for the after show fun at your beachside room...how many heads were on that balcony at once that night? the world may never know....Matt, turn off that fucking John Wayne bullshit!!! haha...were you actually spinning to that last scene? :lol: great to see you buddy! PHIL, yes the maningreen---had a blast turning around and seeing you jumping around like an irishman during the show, good time in the RV before the show with you and John(?) Row Jimmy, good to see you, but again, 1 day isn't enough!

Torin, it's great to tour with you man, again...and the things you do for others is superior and do not go unnoticed..don't let the ticket get you down, it was B.S. the cops were out that night!

Jordan, my tour buddy...glad we got to share the long way home till DFW and to sit and reminisce with a brew...it was a better tour when you stay and party with the boys...I know school is the problem for CO, hope you make it, if not...there will be more!

Musical highlights....Bertha (both)..dew, hurts me too..bobby mcgee, loser 1st one...biodtl was what I was feeling, I need a job. STELLA BLUE, had to thank JK for this one with a handshake...should have said the same for that STOP THAT TRAIN that was up there for top moments with Help>Slip>Stranger>Frank...wow!

Bucket....

I am ALWAYS down with more JGB tunes! on the double..STAT! "THE MAKER",,,please?

I was really hoping for a DAYS BETWEEN....and of course..that SHAKEDOWN that came from NO WHERE...too bad someone told me what the encore was, dammit..would have been 5x better if I had not known...SO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Don't get me wrong, it is fun to guess what is coming, but if you know cause you looked it up or something like that, do you and everyone a favor and don't spill the beans!!!!

Thought we were getting a HIGH TIME the 1st night...damn!

OK, some comments... enough of the Mr. Charlie and Easy wind.. not a SINGLE Brent tune this run? c'mon! Keep on growing would be a nice treat....blow away..and not enough Organ....

applaud for only a few repeats this run, Loser, didn't mind....

and last but not least, thank you DSO!

It is amazing to be able to catch this energy while it is hot! Lisa, thanks for the pipes..but we need more of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! transcending is the only word that fits...

Kevin, thanks for laying it down so well, I found myself in that bass groove many many times this run...

Dino, man drums in Jax was great, you shined well my friend and to give out some discs of the shimmy shack after the show, just goes to show how nice of a guy he is, the vortex will get you....Koritz, excellent job, I get locked into the nice drum beats provided by you guys, and the "air art" and it don't stop! Eaton, well played and sung..looking forward to RMGDR before the CO run...Rob B. nicely done, but not enough Brent action, imo....and you have progressed, why not strut your stuff rooster?

John K. thank you for the Stop that train and the tear-jerker Stella Blue, these were my top tunes for the tour, during stella, all I could do was stand there and take it in and push some out of the eyes..I was standing in a puddle of water up front, and well,, I think I melted into it.......during Stop that train, all I could do was SMILE and dance to the groove....some folks after the show told me, Mason, during that Stop That Train, I looked over and saw you were Smiling huge and were as happy as you could be...well said.

To all those who now changed their minds and those who already planned on coming to Colorado, you ALL have a place to crash. 'Seems like the least I could do.......'

:grouphug:

oh yea...where was that 'Reuben and Cherise' bust out??

ps. Sue, thanks for introducing us to 'Bob Weir' and his daughter... B) I would love to see those pix! that goes for nwnjSteve and Gary....

listening to pompano, forgot about that Around & Around...

PSS...to the others (you know), it was great to see and feel the love..Family :grouphug:

El Paso was funny....if you were there and paying attention, you know what I mean....

• Forum MVP

i have never walked into a room and felt so loved as i did in pompano ........ i REALLY needed this weekend....... the music, the dancing, and my family .... insane!!!!

thank you guys (you all know who)........ :) :) :) !!!!

and membership does have it's privileges!!!!! f o c c

FOCC.jpg

• Forum MVP

pompano was a blast!!!! i had soooo much fun a this show. with all the looming cigarette smoke and accumulated tiredness, i was crawling through the first set. (this venue should takes notes from the filmore west on smoking policies).. 1st set was solid, but the 2nd set was AMAZING! 2nd set was so ridiculous, the music just melted away all the tiredness and cig suffocation. the band was on fire that night- they were playing incredibly tight. i think the drummers are really critical to the x-factor- when they're feeling it, it transcends to the rest of the band. well, the [double] drumming was SICK in pompano (and in JAX too) and it brought the entire performance level up a few notches. starting with the surprise franklins the energy was through the roof... pure euphoria for the soul. the dancin was INCREDIBLE. check out the recording! one of, if not the, best ive ever seen. black peter was the strongest i have ever witnessed. jk just WAILED on the ending jam. the guitar solo's energy level was more like a i know you rider than a black peter.

but the dancing that night was AMAZING! SACRED! the first set was pretty packed, but the second set was a dancing frenzy!!! the BIGGEST dance scene i have ever witnessed at a dso show (maybe at any show). the usual suspects (ie: starheads) were all securing our down and front dance space throughout the show.. well somewhere in the second set the energy level peaked so hard that our crew was dancing up a real storm. i mean everyone was really dancing. lots of spinning. people started running through the crowd to join our sacred circle. soon enough we were joined by several dancers, all united for the same cause. its hard to do the event justice, but it was like the scenes from the grateful dead dvd; a 74 winterland show were everyone is spinning spinning free. the music was manifested itself in our bodies in the form of dance, we were one with the music and each other... it was purely brilliant!

this week was simply amazing. i had the time of my life. it was definitely in my top 5 dso runs. the music was absolutely stellar, but as gary puts it (and many have mentioned in this thread) "the family is the best part." never had such a good time! nothing better than hanging out with the coolest deadheads in the world (often, in some random part of the world!). we truly have an amazing community here, and this week was a testament to that. sue and vince- thank you soooooooo much for the hospitality! you all went above and beyond your duties as a host, and i am truly grateful for all that you did for us. i cant thanks yall enough. you are THE BEST! served us constantly and the whole time with a smile... you all made my week. i loved staying with yall at "the starhead hotel." and a huge thanks is due for welcoming steven in your home. you all didnt even know him yet, and you opened your doors and your hearts to one of my good friends. you all treated him like family, and he really felt the warmth and love. he was absolutely amazed at how great yall (and the whole starhead crew) were. so thanks to vince/sue and steve/kris for letting steven stay at your place and being so nice to him. gary and connie- thank yall so much for everything! love yall! steve and kris- thanks so much for the floor space, and for putting up with us silly boys! i love yall so much. your energy on (and off) the dance floor is contagious and beautiful. torin- thanks for driving and navigating.. always love doing tours with ya brother! to our next adventure: :cheers: and steven- thanks so much for letting us stay with you and being our south florida tour guide. you were a great host! im so glad i got to see ya! stay in touch and look into stopping by your old stomping grounds en route to florida. thank you dso for the magic and the love! :grouphug:

*edit* oh yah, i learned that teacher matt spins to 2 things: grateful dead music and clint eastwood :lol: anyone i missed- i love you! cant wait to be with yall again!

• Forum MVP

Mason - It was Clint not John "The Duke" Wayne.. but you cant go wrong with either... :D:D

Jordan-

I highly recommend picking up the soundtrack to "The Good, Bad, and the Ugly" .... you might spin to a few of those tunes as well... especially the final scene in the Union cemetery .... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And once again ... that 2nd set and encore in Pompano off the hook .... some laws of the music world had to broken .... and broken repeatedly....

I agree about the smoke at the venue. It was horrid.

That said, the show was smoking hot. Great all the way through.

I was fortunate enough to take some photos at the show.

Here is my favorite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosepetal236/...097478/sizes/l/

It is a bit soft on the face but I love the expression. John tore it up that night...

I closed my eyes and heard the Fat Man rocking...

Enjoy!

Don

Guest crazy digits
I agree about the smoke at the venue. It was horrid.

That said, the show was smoking hot. Great all the way through.

I was fortunate enough to take some photos at the show.

Here is my favorite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosepetal236/...097478/sizes/l/

It is a bit soft on the face but I love the expression. John tore it up that night...

I closed my eyes and heard the Fat Man rocking...

Enjoy!

Don

Nice picture..thinking he was praying the smoke would go away .

thinking he was praying the smoke would go away .

ha.....even being a smoker on and off myself- I very much dislike smoking venues. You can't dance with a cigarette in your hand and I can't stand worrying about someone burning me who is trying to dance with a cigarette in hand. Can't say I'm totally not guilty of smoking in a smoking venue, but I think there is some sort of etiquette about it- I will not smoke while the band is playing, and if I feel the need to- I move away. There is nothing worse than going home from a show with a sore throat and disgusting stinky hair and clothes.

Archived