Spectrum '93

gr8fulauditors

• Forum MVP
Does anyone remember Vinnie and Jerry doing the Excorcist Theme....Tubular Bells out of drums.Think it was a Friday the 13th??In '93??Can anyone post a link??

One my favorite Vince moments--too bad it was jarringly wrecked as it crashed into Easy Answers.

They really should have moved directly into Days.

was in the FRONT row for this one {next nite too, actually}...the dark star > terrapin>d/s>tubular bells...jerry was shreddin', seemin' {by look on his face} somethin' VERY magic was a comin', when some jackass hit him with a beachball...knocked him outta tune...PISSED, he turned his back to the crowd, fucked with his shit for a few, THEN turned around and HE initiated Easy Answers {which would be a better song sans SO many "eeeeasy aaanswers" bein' sung}....tho the days between certainly amazed and dazzled....

not to mention the scarlet > fire opener to the set....

oh, too, Bobby flubs the beginning of each of the verses of Playin' BECAUSE there were these girls right in front of him, flashin their breasts right when he was gonna start singin' each verse...funny shit, right there....

there is more to this story for me, but y'all wouldn't believe me anyway...

peace

• Forum MVP
was in the FRONT row for this one {next nite too, actually}...the dark star > terrapin>d/s>tubular bells...jerry was shreddin', seemin' {by look on his face} somethin' VERY magic was a comin', when some jackass hit him with a beachball...knocked him outta tune...PISSED, he turned his back to the crowd, fucked with his shit for a few, THEN turned around and HE initiated Easy Answers

Actually, if you listen to the tape, Weir tried to get that song going towards the end of the Tubular Bells bit but Vince and Garcia wouldn't let him--they were having too nice a time playing that beautiful theme.

That song was Weir's call sakada because it was Weir's song--them's the rules.

I remember a Calpo show where Bob had chosen his song (a new one) in the fist set and the band was tuning/warming it up when Mickey at first and then Billy started to shake their heads and wave their drumsticks in protest of the song chosen--it was a drums boycott for a couple minues there.

Of course, Bobby was undeterred and Picasso Moon was finally played.

"{which would be a better song sans SO many "eeeeasy aaanswers" bein' sung}...."

That song probably would have been better without the chorus, kind of like Eternity.

i understand the rules, there....i'm tellin ya, tho, jerry was all for it in the moment {exceptionally irate so regarding the beachball thing}...

anyhow, was a friggen fabulous show...jack-a-roe, stagger lee...was let it grow that nite or next? either way, good fun...

some high times that tour...bertha close 1st set richfield, liberty > jbg close 1st set next nite with the sotm jam > black peter, rain > shakedown with cold rain 1st nite msg, twbs > sotm at msg, edie brickell at msg {race is on > dire wolf the same nite}, david murray & james cotton @ msg,

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

I remember being in Philadelphia for those Sept 1993 shows and during the day the radio DJ played a dark star saying it had been twenty years since the dead had played it at the sprectrum, so he played it on the radio that day and it was played that night by the band. You don't radio coverage like that in Cincinnati. That was the last set of shows I drove 12 hours solo to see, gotta bring the hometown crew.

• Forum MVP
I remember being in Philadelphia for those Sept 1993 shows and during the day the radio DJ played a dark star saying it had been twenty years since the dead had played it at the sprectrum, so he played it on the radio that day and it was played that night by the band. You don't radio coverage like that in Cincinnati. That was the last set of shows I drove 12 hours solo to see, gotta bring the hometown crew.

Well, there was WKRP.

I believe you.

I guess that goes to show that Garcia really did know how to make the best out of things--even a thing as ugly as Easy Answers.

i still all in all like the song...again, sans the 27 easy answers sung thruout...the lyrics are pretty nifty {kinda tomorrow never knows-ish}...the post space of this show kinda lost momentum, except for the absolutely smokin' Days Between...the first half of this set was balls to the wall...

i still all in all like the song...again, sans the 27 easy answers sung thruout...the lyrics are pretty nifty {kinda tomorrow never knows-ish}...the post space of this show kinda lost momentum, except for the absolutely smokin' Days Between...the first half of this set was balls to the wall...

Sit back and listen to the colors of your mind, give yourself a breath of air and let your soul unwind. B)

• Forum MVP
"you don't got to say a word if you got dick to say..."

This is a good example of the brilliance of this song.

For any of us who hold lyrics as at least somewhat important in music that is--and I think it's pretty clear that this was one of the contributions (lyric wise) of one Bob Weir, but I'd love someone to ask him or Hunter just to be sure.

But of course good lyrics are different to every set of ears who hears them.

To each their own and for anyone who likes the song Easy Answers--god bless you.

And I mean that.

This is a good example of the brilliance of this song.

For any of us who hold lyrics as at least somewhat important in music that is--and I think it's pretty clear that this was one of the contributions (lyric wise) of one Bob Weir, but I'd love someone to ask him or Hunter just to be sure.

But of course good lyrics are different to every set of ears who hears them.

To each their own and for anyone who likes the song Easy Answers--god bless you.

And I mean that.

I really do like the song,liked from the first one sandwiched between music never stopped at Giants.To each his own.

• Forum MVP
I really do like the song,liked from the first one sandwiched between music never stopped at Giants.To each his own.

That is a really good one--that was the only time they did that and there is an energy to that mns>easy answers>mns that can't be denied. I recall seeing an extremely well played and rocked out version in Alabama in the post-space slot as well--which I think was easily the best one they did from the versions I have heard.

I just think that Bob Weir should never be allowed anywhere near the lyric process of any song. I think all anyone needs to know regarding Mr. Weir's penchant for horrendous, god awful lyrics is the 'upgrade' he tried to make with the lyrics of B T Wind in 1990--and we wonder why Barlow remained good friends with him but refused to work with him on songs anymore (way before that incident). Barlow was hanging out with Weir helping him with Salt Lake City before the debut in '95 though and I know we are all appreciative of that--some of us more than others.

What was his famous line? "He treats me like a Tijuana whore?" (It was not permanent though as Barlow helped Weir with his song 'Welcome to the World' around '99.

As an aside I think Barlow/Mydland would have been quite the force in the modern GD history books, had Brent lived. Many people talked about the how incredible some of the songs that never got a chance to be heard were. I don't think those two would have been stopped.

But of course, this is coming from someone who LIKED the lyrics to Gentlemen Start Your Engines so...

That is a really good one--that was the only time they did that and there is an energy to that mns>easy answers>mns that can't be denied. I recall seeing an extremely well played and rocked out version in Alabama in the post-space slot as well--which I think was easily the best one they did from the versions I have heard.

I just think that Bob Weir should never be allowed anywhere near the lyric process of any song. I think all anyone needs to know regarding Mr. Weir's penchant for horrendous, god awful lyrics is the 'upgrade' he tried to make with the lyrics of B T Wind in 1990--and we wonder why Barlow remained friends with him but refused to work with him on songs anymore (way before that incident). Barlow was hanging out with Weir helping him with Salt Lake City before the debut in '95 though and I know we are all appreciative of that--some of us more than others.

What was his famous line? "He treats me like a Tijuana whore?"

As an aside I think Barlow/Mydland would have been quite the force in the modern GD history books, had Brent lived. Many people talked about the how incredible some of the songs that never got a chance to be heard were. I don't think those two would have been stopped.

But of course, this is coming from someone who LIKED the lyrics to Gentlemen Start Your Engines so...

Brent and Barlow would come to my buddys hole in the wall studio in Stinson to work on new tunes...I'll see if he has any material left from those days...right around 88' if my memory serves me well...good times...

• Forum MVP
Brent and Barlow would come to my buddys hole in the wall studio in Stinson to work on new tunes...I'll see if he has any material left from those days...right around 88' if my memory serves me well...good times...

Healy would say things like, "these current songs made the last ones (Blow Away, Little Light, I will take U Home, We Can Run) look like child's play."

So don't tease me with that shit Jon--give me a break, your friend does not have any of those songs.

Archived