Nokia Night 1

HaveYouEverSmoked

I don't have an opinion of last night's show because I wasn't there. I would have to be kind of silly to have an opinion of last night's show in my opinion.

As pertains to the list--I don't judge DSO shows on paper. I don't do this because it would be really stupid to do so. It would be really stupid to do so because they could take the stinkiest, ugliest, meat and potatoes list to ever see the light of day and blow up every song like the end of the world is upon us--every single song. And someone who was there would walk out of the theatre trying to make sure they still had all their teeth--while someone reading the list at home would be saying to themselves "what an ugly setlist." You could also see them on an off night (human beings have those from time to time) where they play 5/26/72 and it pales in comparison.

And I don't think I've broken my promise because I'm not calling you out on this post--I'm just doing you the favor of answering your question as best I can.

I understand your point and agree that hypothetically that could happen, but it's highly unlikely.

Let me ask you this...

...do you think DSO has ever played a truly lousy show?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
I understand your point and agree that hypothetically that could happen, but it's highly unlikely.

Let me ask you this...

...do you think DSO has ever played a truly lousy show?

Of course. I've seen nights where I thought they just couldn't get it going for whatever reason. But, I also know that whatever perception I had, it was mine and while I consider my perception to have much more weight than anyone else's, (insert smiley face) I do understand that someone else could have had a completely different experience of the music that night.

Like I said, these guys are musicians. And like other people who play music whom I admire, they are musicians that take chances. And musicians that take chances--that, forgive me, play without a net, they sometimes have off nights. And you know what--I wouldn't want it any other way.

Neil Young once said that the last thing he ever wanted in terms of a band of his, was musicians that were going to play great every night. I think he was referring to wanting musicians who were real and who genuinely played their hearts out, night after night. Those musicians are not easy to find--especially when people are paying at the door. Guess what, this band is going to disappoint some people on some nights. For you, one of those nights was last night. It's just as simple as that.

I think you may have made a mistake not going tonight though because 7/15/88 is a pretty good list and my GUESS is that you might have enjoyed it.

• Advisory Board
While you are at it I'd be interested to hear what your 3 favorite NYC restaurants are.

Well, I wasn't going to take the "bait" on this one, as I assumed (perhaps and hopefully wrongly) that if I answered you would somehow try and impune my NY credentials (as funny as that sounds) based on my favorite restaurants! As if someones favorite restaurants make someone a legit New Yorker...

In any case, regardless of your motive for asking, it did get me to thinking and reminiscing and I thank you for that. It has been a long time since I lived in NY, but that is where I grew up from birth through High School (and every summer while in college) so I do have many fond and hungry memories of food and restaurants which I love.

The list is not exhaustive by any means and is mostly stream of consciousness from the top of my head. It is honest and I would love to have any of the food below. I know if I think about it some more the list will grow, but for the moment what comes to mind are (and not in any order);

1. A hot dog with mustard and sauerkraut and a Yoohoo from any sidewalk cart...

2. Fontanas Famous on Northern Blvd. in Flushing for a combo Gyro/souvlaki with extra tsatsiki and feta cheese

3. Wo Hop on Mott St. at 3 AM with friends for anything at all and hot tea served in water glasses

4. Peking Duck House in Chinatown for a Peking duck and a whole steamed sea bass with ginger and scallions

5. Peter Lugers for a medium rare steak for 3 or 4 or 5 (as long as at least 1 less person is eating it than the number called for) and a tomato and onion salad with their homemade steaksauce

6. The Palm, for a 4 or 5 pound lobster, "steak a la stone" and their hash browns

7. Nathans in Coney Island for a Frankfurter and Fries at the counter

8. Carnegie Deli (or Stage Deli) wherever the line is shorter for a whole Corned Beef on rye with deli mustard and pickles on the table and a Dr. Browns Cream soda

9. Sammys Roumanian for a steak bigger than the plate and bottles of seltzer on the table with milk and chocolate syrup for homemade egg creams

10. Mrs. Stahls in Brooklyn for a cabbage Knish

11. A slice, from any corner pizza place. Hot, creased down the center with the hot cheese sliding off and burning the roof of my mouth and eaten while walking

12. A chocolate Italian Ice (large) from almost anywhere, in the white paper cup that you crush as you eat it and end up sucking on the paper

There's more, much more...but that will have to do for now. There is nothing like the food in NY anywhere else. That's a fact and I have so many great memories all tied up with food and growing up in NY. Regardless of your motive for asking I do thank you for jogging my memories of all that delicious stuff. If for whatever reason you decide that my list isn't NY enough for you that is just fine with me, at least I had an excuse to think about some good memories that I hadn't thought about in a long time.

And I have no actual opinion about last nights show, I wasn't there. But the setlist looked great to me, quite a few songs that I love (Bucket, Tom Thumb, Touch, Stranger, Foolish, Blow Away, St. Stephen, The Eleven, So Many Roads, Second That Emotion). Almost a dream setlist for my taste. And seconding what DStone said I can never judge a DSO setlist on paper. EVERY DSO show i've seen, even ones that on paper I would have not been thrilled with, have been stellar because of the way that the band rocks each song. So when I see a setlist like that with so many songs that I like/love I know I would have loved the show. I've never seen a bad DSO show, or even one that wasn't really, really good. That's my opinion too. I also tend to prefer the "original" shows over the "recreations". That's my opinion. I love seeing songs played in combinations and juxtapositions that the Dead never did and from eras that never mixed (like last nights original show).

I'm not a snob but I'm not a big critic either. I find it very easy to love DSO...

Dr. Barry B)

The Friday Nokia show was abysmal, worst I've ever seen the band play. Show up in NYC and that's the best selection of songs you can come up with? Absurd. "Original" setlists probably aren't a good idea for NYC...picking legendary shows/setlists probably is (like last years duo, now that was smart/good).

If you are going to play NYC you better be prepared to bring it and that certainly wasn't the case last night. Either bring it or stick to the backroads playing spots like Driggs, ID where you're the only game in town.

Always supported DSO against the whackos who want to take the "fake jerry" bullsh*t line and all that but after a show like last night you basically cut my legs out from under me in that argument.

Highly disappointed in the band.

You ungrateful creatures!

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Bombay why don't you stay home and save your money for some burnt out resemblance of the Dead.

• Forum MVP

Dr.Barry ,I would go off my no meat diet to have a hot corned beef sandwich in new york anytime with you,I'd maybe even have them throw alittle tongue on it ,With a nice pickle,god that would be heavin ,maybe in the windy city in feburary?

Guest deadheadmike
Dr.Barry ,I would go off my no meat diet to have a hot corned beef sandwich in new york anytime with you,I'd maybe even have them throw alittle tongue on it ,With a nice pickle,god that would be heavin ,maybe in the windy city in feburary?

Steve I had the hot pastrami sand at smith's on Fri , its been wreaking havoc on my system all weekend , but worth it , it was delish !

and it would be very nice to see Dr. Barry sometime in the very near future !!!

Guest Lisacat

I sometimes wonder if I was at the same show as some of the posters here. I've seen DSO many many times coast-to-coast and I in my opinion I thought these shows were two of the best of the tour and probably the best they've ever played in NYC (out of the ones I've seen). The elective was fiercely strong and last night was just about perfect in every way. As far as the comments regarding penns peak and the person who thought the energy dissappeared when Mattson got on stage, I can't even fathom how someone thought that. I just looked at the stage during those songs and there were huge smiles on all faces. The place exploded with energy during Sugaree and I (again in my opinion) feel that it was one of the strongest Sugarees I've ever heard the band play. It reminded me of my favorite JGB sugaree on the Don't Let Go release that gets super slow and Jerry hits the high notes that give you chills all over. But I suppose one man gathers what another man spills...

as far as off-nights, we all have them. I've had nights when I knew the band was on but I just couldn't get into it because I wasn't in the right head-space so to speak. The band certainly has them as well (this band has very few). Like Dstone said, they are human beings with emotions, stress, and "real life" issues to deal with as well. When I can tell something isn't quite right, I work HARDER to put good energy out. We are all there to participate and you get what you give.

Steve I had the hot pastrami sand at smith's on Fri , its been wreaking havoc on my system all weekend , but worth it , it was delish !

and it would be very nice to see Dr. Barry sometime in the very near future !!!

Hey Mike, I told you that Smiths was good. Although I cant put a disclaimer on the health code standards I know its better than the pushcart street meats... :rofl:

• Forum MVP
Of course. I've seen nights where I thought they just couldn't get it going for whatever reason. But, I also know that whatever perception I had, it was mine and while I consider my perception to have much more weight than anyone else's, (insert smiley face) I do understand that someone else could have had a completely different experience of the music that night.

Like I said, these guys are musicians. And like other people who play music whom I admire, they are musicians that take chances. And musicians that take chances--that, forgive me, play without a net, they sometimes have off nights. And you know what--I wouldn't want it any other way.

Neil Young once said that the last thing he ever wanted in terms of a band of his, was musicians that were going to play great every night. I think he was referring to wanting musicians who were real and who genuinely played their hearts out, night after night. Those musicians are not easy to find--especially when people are paying at the door. Guess what, this band is going to disappoint some people on some nights. For you, one of those nights was last night. It's just as simple as that.

I think you may have made a mistake not going tonight though because 7/15/88 is a pretty good list and my GUESS is that you might have enjoyed it.

Having said that (nod to Larry David), there have been many times when I leave DSO shows thinking to myself that they actually might be robots, due to the almost unbelievable consistency and high level of their musicianship. It's actually hard to believe at times.

• Forum MVP
I. Hey Pocky Way Hell In A Bucket Row Jimmy Minglewood Blues Two Souls

Jack-A-Roe Greatest Story Ever Told Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues Touch Of Grey

II.Feel Like A Stranger Foolish Heart Blow Away Weather Report Suite

Let it Grow Drums Space St. Stephen William Tell Eleven So Many Roads

Satisfaction

E: Second That Emotion

This setlist is pretty cool in my book. I mean it would be better with a Louie, but you can't have everything.

Guest deadheadmike
This setlist is pretty cool in my book.

I liked it ... how can you not like those songs and DSO ROCKS !!!

How dare you besmirch the Dead, you clearly don't get it and your credibility is zero...actually, it's less than zero.

you were much nicer when you were on Bewitched ...

Guest deadheadmike
Dr.Bombay

I was at Penns Peak and thought the show kinda started slow,died when Jeff hit the stage, BUT I was ripped into as were, you for coming to this forum and talking about it.This group of people live in a world where ALL colors are bright and ALL skies are sunny.Reallity is not accepted here.I support you in voiceing your OPINION!!!!

Stir it up!!!!!

Dr Bombay and gr8fulauditors are becoming friends , I knew you guys would hit if off ... :rofl:

The Friday Nokia show was abysmal, worst I've ever seen the band play. Show up in NYC and that's the best selection of songs you can come up with? Absurd. "Original" setlists probably aren't a good idea for NYC...picking legendary shows/setlists probably is (like last years duo, now that was smart/good).

While I'm not sure if I want to add fuel to a fire of negativity, I felt the urge to comment. You had asked for reviews from those who had actually attended the concert. I did. Though I suspect my frame of mind was different than yours. You see, this was the last weekend in the foreseeable future in which I would see DSO with JK. So rather than listening with a critical mindset, I was intent on savoring every moment. And that I did. And while their choice of songs may not have been my personal favorite (see Nokia night 2), I thought they played beautifully, with something for everyone. One friend's highlight was Row Jimmy, his favorite song. Another's was the Stranger, soulfully and beautifully performed. And while I am not a lover of the Weather Report Suite, my daughter is. What I do love is the Eleven, and when they segued into it from St. Steven it was just great. Now Eleven is a song which the Grateful Dead last performed in 1970. So when they followed it with a sweet and passionate So Many Roads, a song which they only first performed in 1992, it showed the beauty of the original setlist, putting together combinations which one could never hear the GD play, yet that sounded so right.

Sorry, you don't agree. However your tone does lead me to a concern. Dear Abby had suggested a refresher course in bedside manor. Well what worries me is not bedside manor, but self-assurance combined with closed mindedness. The most important quality a physician can have is to be open and receptive. It is usually when I have made a snap judgment and then interpreted symptoms to fit my misconception, that I have made my most severe errors. I suggest you try to be more open, lest you risk doing your patients disservice.

But enough. At this time of uncertainty and change it seems foolish to waste any furthur emotional energy on this. Here's hoping for a successful DSO transition, and best wishes to all as they travel their respective paths, perhaps one day to join again.

Dr. P

• Forum MVP

On a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give this show a 7.5 or 8. It was the most i've ever been disappointed after a show but certainly didn't feel ripped off. I have full confidence in the band and anything they play will definitely soothe my soul.

The setlist was interesting to say the least. I liked the most of the songs although i'm not big on hey pocky way, foolish heart, touch of grey, and blow away (not some of my more memorable 80's tunes). And even those songs which i'm not so fond of, i thought they we're played beautifully and full of energy. I thought the setlist could have been arranged a little differently or maybe a subsitution for one of the aforementioned songs. Anyways, i had a lot of fun at the show and it kept me guessing the entire time.

Hey Pocky way and Hell in a bucket started off a little uninspired for me but things really got cooking during Row jimmy. Kept that energy going through the Minglewood. Two Souls was my highlight of the night (sooo passionate). Jack-a-roe was a lot of fun as well as Greatest Story. Tom Thumb Blues was a song i never heard before but thought Kevin sounded great on it. Touch of grey was a little cliche but i made the best of it.

Feels like a stranger was really groovin. Foolish Heart was pretty good with some momentous soloing from Rob B. Blow Away packed a lot of punch. Weather Report suite was in fact sweet being that i've never heard the prelude live before. Let it grow got really deep, jazzy, and out there... just how i like it. The drums and space was all right. Seemed to drag on a bit and have definitely seen/heard better. St. Stephen is always a treat, especially with the william tell bridge and the eleven. I was dancing my ass off that entire time. So many roads was very soulful and Satisfaction seemed like a very strong song to end the set on.

I second that emotion was exceptionally short but it was fun hearing Rob E do a verse and I always enjoy hearing one more song.

As i said, some parts i was really feeling it and in other i wasn't. Neither set as a whole really blew me away but there we're certainly moments of brilliance. Being that i'd rather dwell on the positive... 7.5 or 8.

Night 2 was definitely my kind of night...

• Forum MVP

well, on paper at least, i love that setlist!! hey pocky, blow away, foolish, GSET, and 2nd that emotion are all songs i would kill to hear every show.. the whole setlist looks siiiick!

and im proud to say ive been to 4 on dr. b's list (wo-hop at 3am, corned beef at carnagie and katz, pizza, and nathans). not bad considering ive been to nyc twice

• Forum MVP

I gotta say although the first set did not seem that stong musically to me ,kind of like emotionless at times. kris & I decided to go down front for the second set & I'm glad we did ,had a fantastic time ,I would like to comment about the jam after let it grow which seemed to be taking on fragments of caution do not step on the tracks, hopefully I'll be able to ask Rob Barraco up in vermont tomorrow if that was on their mind >It seemed like he was playing the hammond with the mike right in front of his mouth like he was going to start singing the first verse then it suddenly disappeared into drums .I won't be surprised if that shows up in the orignals once Jeff jumps on board.

• Advisory Board
well, on paper at least, i love that setlist!! hey pocky, blow away, foolish, GSET, and 2nd that emotion are all songs i would kill to hear every show.. the whole setlist looks siiiick!

and im proud to say ive been to 4 on dr. b's list (wo-hop at 3am, corned beef at carnagie and katz, pizza, and nathans). not bad considering ive been to nyc twice

Jordan, I'm proud to say that you are my brother!

And Steve, Chuck and anyone else in Chicago this winter, just place yourselves in my good hands for the feasting! As you all know, that is my hobby...

B B)

Archived