Furthur - Wallingford, Ct

ThinMan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest deadheadmike
I missed ya on the Buffalo run. I am ASSuming we will get some west coast dates soon.

missed you too !!! :)

I think so ... lots of cool venues in SoCal , should be fun ...

• Forum MVP

what a wonderful show... besides the music. The venue there is great. As someone said good acoustics and it is gigantic.. bigger than I imagined. I had really good seats in the middle section and the best part of it all was just seeing Phil and Bob together so close... the fact that John was on stage made it even more wild.

here is the list from my memory...

Shakedown Street (JK)

Alabama Getaway (JK)

Good Morning, Little School Girl (BW)

Pride Of Cucamonga

Loose Lucy (BW)

New Minglewood

Music Never Stopped

China Cat Sunfower (JK)>

Eyes Of The World (Phil)

Born Cross-Eyed

Space

Dark Star (Phil, BW, JK)

Strawberry Fields (Phil)

St. Stephen (Phil, BW, Phil on dipped in moonlight)

Eleven (BW)

Not Fade Away (All)

Going' Down The Road Feeling Bad (All, BW, JK also had solo verses)

I was psyched on calling the Shakedown Street... I felt it in the air. I was close enough to see details of what was going on stage and could tell Phil was really happy to be playing with John. Having that space being filled with John's playing was making him move on his bass more. John being there makes it possible for Phil to do more of what he does. Besides this realization Shakedown was amazing John was not waiting for any leads he was just playing the music beautifully. My first time seeing Alabama Getaway and it was amazing. Good Morning, Little School Girl was cool, Bob warming up his voice everyone in the band did some fine tuning on their mix. Pride Of Cucamonga was also a first for me and I was happy to hear Phil sing a song he sang in the Grateful Dead. Loose Lucy, another first for me. Psyched to be hearing all these for the first time. Bob is good on this song. Singing smoothly with out stopping in the middle of the verse. He seems to have more control of this now, if he knows the lyrics aren't with him at the moment he will jam a little and then sing it right. New Minglewood, nice. Bob rapped a bit on how he only knows how to "steal women from their men".. classic. Music Never Stopped was amazing. This was a song where you could feel how happy they were to have those parts being played the way they were originally played (John).

Short jam, I was relieved to hear John initiate this before Bobby could start that strange intro he has been doing since the Dead tour. This was awesome. John singing those wild Hunter lyrics beautifully.. I think this was another song where Phil was laughing to himself.. this jam was strong and John came in with the part that harmonizes over Bob's lead line. It just exploded... a moment of transcendence for myself. I was hoping it would go into I Know You Rider. It slowed down and Eyes came out of the jam without the music having to stop. Phil sang, it was really a nice moment. They had big screens which had a close shot of Phil for most of the song and I feel this may have made people not have mind it as much. You could see and feel he was really singing from down inside. Bob was also nice here playing very creatively and serving the music. Jeff also opened up the song and played an amazing solo. Born Cross-Eyed was unexpected but cool to hear.. this went into space.. Jay was playing the coolest thing with an upright bass or violin bow. This made me think of Mickey. I knew the Dark Star was coming and I don't think it was to clear but Phil dropped into the intro out of nowhere and we had officially entered Dark Star. This was by far the best Dark Star I have experienced. I say this because there was navigation going on and at no point it did they fall out and have it sound like noodling. John was a big part of this of course... some of the sounds and sections of it had you in a deep trance. Vocals were Phil, Bob, then John on the last line for both versus. John got a huge applause on his line. This Dark Star went to deep space, and had its beautiful jams. Out of space came an awesome surprise. Strawberry Fields was so perfect for the moment, Phil vocals were inspiring for myself. This was just played really well, Joe did a great job building into each "Let me take you there... cause I'm going to..." St. Stephen, Eleven, Not Fade Away was none stop energy. I was a bit confused as to why everyone in the band besides John was singing the harmonies. Felt a little weird to see him standing back in a moment where everyone else was singing. His guitar was not held back at all though he seriously made the Eleven fly. At this moment I knew a ballad wasn't happening, but it is okay in due time. Not Fade Away was great vocals from all... ended with the whole theater in clapping the Not Fade Away rhythm and this did not stop until Phil came back out for the Donor Rap which was quick, made a nice connection with the "know our love will not fade away" lyric. Bob had an acoustic guitar right before he was walking out for the encore but something changed. Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad, another first for me was a great away to send us home. Before encore Phil walked off with John with his arm around his shoulder.

Did anyone else notice the breakdowns at the end of Shakedown and Alabama? it was like phil and bob were lost in how good the jams were that they forgot to look to John for the changes. John kept raising his hands to try to signal and get their attention but couldnt. It led to the songs ending on a very sloppy disjointed note. i almost think there are points where john takes it to a level that bob and phil can't keep up with.

Good Review:

Other than being a long drive, the Chevrolet Theater was a very pleasant place to see a show � few security hassles and good acoustics. And it was nice to see a mix of old and young on stage. For those who have not seen him, (me included) John Kadlecik was a revelation. There has been some complaining here and elsewhere about him being too similar to Jerry, not original enough, etc. For me it was great to see the songs played with the tonal qualities and melodic signposts that I have missed so much since Jerry died. And while his whole stage persona is reminiscent of Jerry, his playing to me has just enough southern edge to differentiate it from Jerry�s bluegrass fluidity. In other words he is able to speak Jerry�s language, but in his own dialect.

That said this is still a young band that has some work to do before things completely gel. The Shakedown opener was great � funky and fully worked out. The rest of the first set was basically blues rock, and gave Kadlecik a chance to shine. Loose Lucy brought a smile to my face � it�s been a long time for that one. (It don�t take much to get me off the ground). And a fine Music Never Stopped to end the first set � perhaps Bobby�s best vocal turn of the night.

The second set was full of challenging songs, some of which came off better than others. The absolute highlight of the show had to be the Eyes of the World � the band just cliqued on that one � it was long, tight, and powerful and went to some interesting places. Born Cross Eyed was played well, but is an extremely difficult song to pull off vocally, and Bobby no longer has the power or youthful exuberance required to put this song across the way it needs to be sung. Kadlecik, on the other hand, could probably due a good vocal job on many of the songs that Phil and Bobby are still singing.

The only major let down for me was the Dark Star. As with a lot of Post Jerry incarnations, the band seems to have a lot of trouble finding the right groove for this one, and often sounded forced or disorganized. The really great Dark Stars revolved around an Ebb and Flow between Jerry and Phil that just seems to be missing. It takes a certain chemistry to bring off unstructured music in a convincing way � and that chemistry isn�t quite there yet. All was forgiven and forgotten by the St. Stephen->Eleven jam, which was surprisingly tight and energized.

As a warm-up for the major tour next year, this show revealed a band with a lot of potential. It�s incredible that we still get to see these guys on stage playing 3 hours of music with Phil going on 70. A reminder to count life�s blessings.

Getting ready to head out to Asbury!! Can't wait to see this line up. A lot of potential, that's for sure. Based on the reviews, it seems they are still trying to find their groove and hit it on all cylinders. All good things in all good time!!

I'm on the Bus!

dont know how to find you guys but i weill BE THERE!!!!!

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
The only major let down for me was the Dark Star. As with a lot of Post Jerry incarnations, the band seems to have a lot of trouble finding the right groove for this one, and often sounded forced or disorganized.

I have to disagree on this point. I loved that Dark Star last night. I was saying to some friends who more or less agreed with me that it was one of the better Dark Stars I had ever seen- including with Jerry.

Not to mention the light show took on a whole different feeling during Dark Star which really just 'fit'.

100% a great show. Train left the tracks a couple times early on, but when it's full-steam ahead? Bound to happen...

Did anyone notice after the first set as they were leaving the stage? John was heading off, and Phil hollered to him, slowed him down, threw his arm around him and gave him big hug...

I love that shit!

I have to disagree on this point. I loved that Dark Star last night. I was saying to some friends who more or less agreed with me that it was one of the better Dark Stars I had ever seen- including with Jerry.

Not to mention the light show took on a whole different feeling during Dark Star which really just 'fit'.

100% a great show. Train left the tracks a couple times early on, but when it's full-steam ahead? Bound to happen...

Did anyone notice after the first set as they were leaving the stage? John was heading off, and Phil hollered to him, slowed him down, threw his arm around him and gave him big hug...

I love that shit!

Just want to clarify that is not my review....it's too bad they tossed greg for streaming the show...they could have just asked him to stop or confiscate the cam for the duration of the show!

I was watching Phil all night and there were many times where he could hardly contain his glee. He was looking over at John and it was just so obvious he was having a great time. Really nice to see.

Archived