Chevrolet Beer Tank

kel

The question is: why did Phil & Bobby lure John K from DSO? You would think to sing Jerry songs and let him play in the spirit of the music. No, No, No, not in Bobby's world with his Need to be the Lead man and do his boring imitation of Theater drama. Other than: Shakedown and Alabama, where John sang and brought the songs to new and Interesting places (the spirit of Garcia in his soul) the rest of the show lacked any true improvisation and really just noodled along. Bobby singing Loose Lucy, give me a fork already and he absolutely butchered Minglewood and MNS. With his over the top determination to bring a blues flavor to every damn thing he plays, he is ruinous in trying to fulfill some need for being in Jerry's limelight for so many years. "Never Stop, "Never Stop", when's it going to start, Bob. You, the band, is holding John back because you guys can't keep up. I mean, Minglewood is usually a write it in barn burner, not this night. I left after the twenty minutes of noodling in Dark Start ( I think it was Dark Star). And the crowd, a bunch of "This is the best I've heard", beer drinking, slobering, smelly, fist in the air, wanna be a Dead Head kids was a sad,sad sight. They (Phil & Bob) made the wrong move. What DSO should have done is asked Phil to join their band. Nothing against Kevin, as he is more than competent, but if you are going to ruin several bands, what the harry. Give Kevin a harmonica, figure how to make him Pigpen, get Phil and now there's a band. ( I know some things should be and will always be left sacred). Anyway, very, very disappointing. If anyone can get a message to Phil and Bob: turn down Bobby's guitar, turn up the bass, Bob should not sing and let John do his thing. Everyone is selling out and Jerry's singing, "got no dime but I've got some time to hear your story". Peace everyone and don't ever mistake this musical travesty for the magic the Grateful Dead and DSO can make on that "line up the stars" night.

• Forum MVP

Dark Star was far from noodling. They entered both verses very nicely. I will admit there were a bunch of dreaded younger people who are obviously there for the scene part of it. But... a crowd cannot be all true lovers of the music. Strawberry Fields was inspired just like Alabama and Shakedown but I can understand what you're saying...

and as for drinking I cannot understand people getting drunk at shows.. you can do that at home.

Dark Star was far from noodling. They entered both verses very nicely. I will admit there were a bunch of dreaded younger people who are obviously there for the scene part of it. But... a crowd cannot be all true lovers of the music. Strawberry Fields was inspired just like Alabama and Shakedown but I can understand what you're saying...

and as for drinking I cannot understand people getting drunk at shows.. you can do that at home.

Vincet, I know I was a little over the top. It just felt like John is being held back and Bob is trying to hard.

• Forum MVP
being held back

maybe consider Healy's comments in gdhour#130

130 begins with New Speedway and then goes into a wonderful interview with Healy in which the particular comments I recommend begin with "you have to have a place to start..."

http://rhino.edgeboss.net/qtime/rhino/gdea...20EC236427CA3C7

I thought the show was great . I thought Johnny was doing an awful lotta driving and it was LOADS better than Tuesday as far as the band lettin it ROLL . The eyes Jam with Chimenti and Johnny was hairy and man Russo is a beast . I just dont understand why oh why everyone is bitching about who is singing . The band hit some really cool places ALL NIGHT LONG . I honestly thought at points I coulda been up there singing and it still woulda been money : )))) Oh well to each their own. At least all you naysayers and complainers still have OUR BELOVED DarkStar coming to a town near you anyday now . We all know they will be bringing the HEAT . Enjoy tonight guys , my guess is that they kill Asbury these next 2 nights. Oh what do I know anyway : )))

A

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
Other than: Shakedown and Alabama, where John sang and brought the songs to new and Interesting places (the spirit of Garcia in his soul) the rest of the show lacked any true improvisation and really just noodled along.

Opinions are like... everyone has one.

I was there. It was the freaking SHOW OF THE TOUR!!

Not a stinker in the bunch...

100% smoking show, 100% of the night...

Never wanted it to end! :D

I know "kel" the person who started this thread. we saw our first shows back in 1972, maybe '71 for him. He's pretty spot on in his reviews. I wasn't there, but i believe most of what he says. Its great that the boys are out there giving us this music. I'm still excited to see them in March. We, collectively, have gotten very very spoiled when it comes to live DEAD. We've been with Dark Star for 10+ years, it doesn't get any better. I've never seen a mediocre DSO show. Never been disappointed. Sure some set lists are better than others. But they can make "Victim" worth a listen. The last thing I want to see/hear is Johnny holding back, or being held back. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

• Forum MVP

You know, sometimes I get the impression that many people won't be happy or accepting of any GD-related band until they go out an produce an entire tour that packs the energy and magic of Spring '77. I'm just not sure that anyone will be totally satisfied. Now I know that this is nothing new(even when it was still the Grateful Dead) but I sure could go without hearing "I've heard that song done much, much better", "I wish so and so would lose the ego", "I wish Phil & Bob would just.....", "Unleash JK", etc, etc, etc.

I know that there are plenty of people who are into what Furthur is doing, just like there are many who are loving DSO with Jeff on guitar. However, and trust me, I know that this is a forum for opinions, if those people who are continually going to complain about how they played this or how the energy on that song was or who is signing on this tune......

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it is really that crucial for you to be smacked across the room by the shear force of what is coming off the stage, maybe you should take a listen(not like you can't download the previous shows) to the band BEFORE paying the $50 for a ticket. It would save you a ton of cash and a lot of headaches to make sure that the band was producing what you wanted to hear before you went to the show and then spewed a ton of venom about how much you don't like it.

I'm a big Ben Harper fan. Love his solo stuff and his Innocent Criminals material. As for his new Relentless 7 stuff, like it but definitely don't love it, yet. That being said, if I go see Relentless 7 and expect Innocent Criminals circa 1998, then that is on ME not on Ben Harper. Same shit as Furthur. If you are going in expecting it to be Grateful Dead circa 1977 or '85, you will be in for a very disappointing evening.

Phil & Bob are two of the reasons that we are all here on this board right now. If you can't be happy for them, when they finally appear to be happy on stage, then I just don't know what to tell you.

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
You've been on this whole tour Mind?

Very nice.

Well, I guess there are many ways to be 'on tour'... I was there last night, but it was my first Furthur show...

I've listened to every minute of every Furthur show so far though... (with the exception of the quickie gig, no source has popped-up for that one yet...)

I'm calling last night 'Lucky Number 7'...

Hopefully the folks at #8 get a treat as well... Hoping for a full report! Got plenty of friends going...

Me? Need sleep!

This whole "JK needs to sing, Bobby is a tool, etc." thing really needs to stop. I've listened to all but one or two shows, and my opinion mirrors many that this incarnation of the band is as good as anything else that's come out post-Jerry. I think DSO probably has a spark, a potential for nuclear combustion that Furthur simply doesn't have right now; but I mean, that's to be expected. I don't care how good they are, expecting Bobby and Phil to remain highly energized and throw down every night is really hoping for a lot; they still play at incredibly high levels, but they are also in the twilight of their careers. DSO is younger, more vibrant, and they do such a fantastic job of feeding off the energy of the crowd that there is much more potential for "WOW" moments, and that creates a different atmosphere. Just my .02, and this is by no means my full feeling on the matter, more like just a "quick and dirty."

However, I've got to take a tiny bit of offense to the comments towards the young. What, because I was born in 1987 and I like to have a beer or two at a show means I don't get to be part of "the club?" I can honestly say I've never felt any animosity of any sort at a show, but it seems that the middle-class suburban 20-something gets a bad rap.

Archived