8.Unbroken Chain

9.Let It Grow

10.Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion

11.Viola Lee Blues

ENCORE! Deep Elem Blues

Guest deadheadmike

GOOGLE is the BEST

"That's It For The Other One"

Words and music by Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Bill Kreutzmann ("That's It For the Other One," composed and written by Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Bill Kreutzmann. Reproduced by arrangement with Ice Nine Publishing Company, Inc. (ASCAP))

["Cryptical Envelopment"]

The other day they waited, the sky was dark and faded,

Solemnly they stated, "He has to die, you know he has to die."

All the children learnin', from books that they were burnin',

Every leaf was turnin', to watch him die, you know he had to die.

The summer sun looked down on him,

His mother could but frown on him,

And all the other sound on him,

He had to die, you know he had to die.

["Quodlibet for tenderfeet": Instrumental]

["The Faster We Go The Rounder We Get: aka part 2]

Spanish lady come to me, she lays on me this rose.

It rainbow spirals round and round,

It trembles and explodes

It left a smoking crater of my mind,

I like to blow away.

But the heat came round and busted me

For smilin on a cloudy day

[Chorus]

Comin', comin', comin' around, comin' around, comin' around in a circle

Comin', comin', comin' around, comin' around, in a circle,

Comin', comin', comin' around, comin' around, in a circle.

Escapin' through the lily fields

I came across an empty space

It trembled and exploded

Left a bus stop in its place

The bus came by and I got on

That's when it all began

There was cowboy Neal

At the wheel

Of a bus to never-ever land

[Chorus]

["We Leave the Castle"]

And when the day had ended, with rainbow colors blended,

Their minds remained unbended,

He had to die, oh, you know he had to die.

GOOGLE is the BEST

"That's It For The Other One"

Words and music by Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Bill Kreutzmann ("That's It For the Other One," composed and written by Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Bill Kreutzmann. Reproduced by arrangement with Ice Nine Publishing Company, Inc. (ASCAP))

["Cryptical Envelopment"]

The other day they waited, the sky was dark and faded,

Solemnly they stated, "He has to die, you know he has to die."

All the children learnin', from books that they were burnin',

Every leaf was turnin', to watch him die, you know he had to die.

The summer sun looked down on him,

His mother could but frown on him,

And all the other sound on him,

He had to die, you know he had to die.

["Quodlibet for tenderfeet": Instrumental]

["The Faster We Go The Rounder We Get: aka part 2]

Spanish lady come to me, she lays on me this rose.

It rainbow spirals round and round,

It trembles and explodes

It left a smoking crater of my mind,

I like to blow away.

But the heat came round and busted me

For smilin on a cloudy day

[Chorus]

Comin', comin', comin' around, comin' around, comin' around in a circle

Comin', comin', comin' around, comin' around, in a circle,

Comin', comin', comin' around, comin' around, in a circle.

Escapin' through the lily fields

I came across an empty space

It trembled and exploded

Left a bus stop in its place

The bus came by and I got on

That's when it all began

There was cowboy Neal

At the wheel

Of a bus to never-ever land

[Chorus]

["We Leave the Castle"]

And when the day had ended, with rainbow colors blended,

Their minds remained unbended,

He had to die, oh, you know he had to die.

when jerry would sing that last part it was listed as cryptical again kinda like a reprise but not stated as so in 1985 for example.

Guest deadheadmike
Are they playing with the backup singers again? It kind of looks like there are some people behind JK, but it's hard to be sure.

It does look like that ... I think they have some far out stuff planned for NYE ... SF is in for quite a NYE !!!

It does look like that ... I think they have some far out stuff planned for NYE ... SF is in for quite a NYE !!!

I'm really looking forward to both shows! Having backup singers should make for some very interesting music. I'm wondering if we might hear some JGB kind of sound in some of the songs? I just hope that they are used with a certain amount of discretion. Sometimes adding more musicians to a live band can be detrimental. I guess I'll hear for myself in about 48 hours!

• Forum MVP
1.Playin'

2.Bertha

3.Half-Step

4.Promised Land

5.Cryptical Envelopment

6.The Other One

7.We Leave the Castle

8.Unbroken Chain

9.Let It Grow

10.Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion

11.Viola Lee Blues

ENCORE! Deep Elem Blues

When Cryptical->Other One->Cryptical is played together I personally prefer using "That's It For The Other One" to denote what's happened.

So what's new for Furthur here? The Cryptical segments I think, and certainly Deep Elem. What about Promised Land?

Are they playing with the backup singers again? It kind of looks like there are some people behind JK, but it's hard to be sure.

Much as would like to see back-up singers, I think it is the drums, looks like a VERY small stage........

• Forum MVP

Playin In The Band

Bertha (JK)

Mississippi Half Step (JK w/BW on 'Rio Grand-eo verse')

Promised Land

Cryptical> (PL)

The Other One>

Cryptical (PL)

Unbroken Chain

Let It Grow

Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion (JK)

Viola Lee Blues (BW&PL)

E: Deep Elem Blues (BW & JK)

It is true what people have been saying about this being a different band than the one we saw at the Fox in Oakland--which makes pretty obvious sense, since they hadn't yet hatched as a band by that point. It's safe to say they are hatching now--they are beginning gel as a band and that is a little scary.

The Playin started out the show in a serious note--it was a muscular Playin, despite it being a show opener. John played some really beautiful passages off of Weir and Lesh. When John starts the show out of the gate like this, you know you could be in for trouble. The Bertha with John singing was great. His vocals were really impassioned and he played with a lot of fucking energy and had a nice solo that was like slapping this place into existence. The Half Step sung by John kept the energy going full bore. John seemed to look at Weir during the Bertha and 1/2 step ready and willing for him to jump on any verse but Weir stayed back, playing some really nice guitar--he even had a great solo later on. John took the fist Half Step solo and it was really beautiful. Very melodic, gorgeous even, like something out of 77. Chementi took the 2nd solo and did some nice stuff. Weir did the echo thing on the choruses (I always loved when he echoed Garcia's "one more time!" on Stella starting in '94 and while this is much more impactful, I think it's classic Weir and don't mind it like others seem to. He then took the "Across the Rio Grandio" verse--and it was very clear to me, at that point, how much the Garcia/Hunter material means to him. Of course we know this on an intellectual level but when your stand in front of the guy in a room and see it--it's undeniable. Then John brought the house down with the ending 1/2 Step solo (his second). The first serious solo of the night and by that point I think people knew he was going to be taking no prisoners and that this band was for real--although many of the people already knew this because they had seen their shows back east and the day before. I knew they wouldn't be able to keep that energy going (first set ballad time) but they actually managed to do it for one more song, when Phil started Promised. That four pack to open was quite a way to open the show and that place was on fire and gasping for air.

The Cryptical was sung by Phil and it moved into the first verse of Other one which moved into some really interesting territory--like John was teasing a Cryptical like jam but then this nicely constructed jam moved into the second verse of Other One, where Bob did his delay between lines thing and John began just shredding. Some of that stuff may have been done on Anthem of the Sun--I really don't know cause I'm not an GD album person--the only one's I've listened to seriously are American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. I have most of the remastered stuff and treasure Europe 72 and Live Dead but--and this may seem like sacrilege to some--I just purchased Wake of the Flood because I realized, as I was laying in bed one night last week that I hadn't heard the studio Stella Blue--ever. I wonder why do I go on like this about stuff that has nothing to do with anything when most people can stay focused on the subject at hand.

Anyway....then the Chain started...and on one had it was nice cause it's a beautiful song but on the other, it was a let down cause it was clear this was going to be the ballad. How have they played so many shows while only playing two of the post space ballads? Phil playing with John and Weir on this was really good and John's solo at the end of the Chain was seriously good. Then they start this jam towards the end of Chain that built up to something else entirely, to the point where John takes ANOTHER solo and this one was incredible--a fucking behemoth of a solo. Then Weir started Grow, which was also a monster if you can believe that. At one point on this, John was playing some funky ass rhythm along with his leads and it just got a little crazy.

They built the Golden Road, sung by John, to a nice climax. I actually don't really like this song. For some reason, I'm not crazy about some of the earlier material like this, but for someone who likes this, they must have liked this version a lot. The band seemed to be loving playing it too. The Viola Lee had Bob and Phil taking the vocals. Many people here know well and good that John can take the ending jam on this one with DSO and blow up the world, and although this wasn't that, his solo at the end was seriously serious and it brought the place down.

The Deep Elem had Weir take the first verse, John the second and switch off like that with Weir taking the last verse (the 5th).

These guys are going to do some special stuff on the big tour in Feb cause they are doing some special stuff now. I got lucky for the most part with the vocal stuff but however much some of us don't like it, the one thing that's clear to most people who see these guys (I think) is that they HAVE to share the Garcia/Hunter stuff--they just have to, and that's the way it is going to be--the way destiny has decided it was meant to be. So we're either on the bus or off the bus.

As for the ballads, the world still wants to know who's going to take them. I know in my gut that John is going to sing Stella (if they do Stella)... but as for the others--it's up in the air. Dew is the big one and those vocals will probably be shared.

I got there early because there was no traffic (I didn't consider the fact that it was the holidays) and heard much of the sound check. I think it's clear that they are going to do a 3rd set of Floyd thing for NYE--mostly from DSOTM and some other things Phil likes to do like Whish You Were Here. That's why they have the back up singers. The two woman also sang with them for the show but they are clearly are just learning these songs. Who knows if they are going to play with them after the NYE show.

• Forum MVP
Playin In The Band

Bertha (JK)

Mississippi Half Step (JK w/BW on 'Rio Grand-eo verse')

Promised Land

Cryptical> (PL)

The Other One>

Cryptical (PL)

Unbroken Chain

Let It Grow

Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion (JK)

Viola Lee Blues (BW&PL)

E: Deep Elem Blues (BW & JK)

It is true what people have been saying about this being a different band than the one we saw at the Fox in Oakland--which makes pretty obvious sense, since they hadn't yet hatched as a band by that point. It's safe to say they are hatching now--they are beginning gel as a band and that is a little scary.

The Playin started out the show in a serious note--it was a muscular Playin, despite it being a show opener. John played some really beautiful passages off of Weir and Lesh. When John starts the show out of the gate like this, you know you could be in for trouble. The Bertha with John singing was great. His vocals were really impassioned and he played with a lot of fucking energy and had a nice solo that was like slapping this place into existence. The Half Step sung by John kept the energy going full bore. John seemed to look at Weir during the Bertha and 1/2 step ready and willing for him to jump on any verse but Weir stayed back, playing some really nice guitar--he even had a great solo later on. John took the fist Half Step solo and it was really beautiful. Very melodic, gorgeous even, like something out of 77. Chementi took the 2nd solo and did some nice stuff. Weir did the echo thing on the choruses (I always loved when he echoed Garcia's "one more time!" on Stella starting in '94 and while this is much more impactful, I think it's classic Weir and don't mind it like others seem to. He then took the "Across the Rio Grandio" verse--and it was very clear to me, at that point, how much the Garcia/Hunter material means to him. Of course we know this on an intellectual level but when your stand in front of the guy in a room and see it--it's undeniable. Then John brought the house down with the ending 1/2 Step solo (his second). The first serious solo of the night and by that point I think people knew he was going to be taking no prisoners and that this band was for real--although many of the people already knew this because they had seen their shows back east and the day before. I knew they wouldn't be able to keep that energy going (first set ballad time) but they actually managed to do it for one more song, when Phil started Promised. That four pack to open was quite a way to open the show and that place was on fire and gasping for air.

The Cryptical was sung by Phil and it moved into the first verse of Other one which moved into some really interesting territory--like John was teasing a Cryptical like jam but then this nicely constructed jam moved into the second verse of Other One, where Bob did his delay between lines thing and John began just shredding. Some of that stuff may have been done on Anthem of the Sun--I really don't know cause I'm not an GD album person--the only one's I've listened to seriously are American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. I have most of the remastered stuff and treasure Europe 72 and Live Dead but--and this may seem like sacrilege to some--I just purchased Wake of the Flood because I realized, as I was laying in bed one night last week that I hadn't heard the studio Stella Blue--ever. I wonder why do I go on like this about stuff that has nothing to do with anything when most people can stay focused on the subject at hand.

Anyway....then the Chain started...and on one had it was nice cause it's a beautiful song but on the other, it was a let down cause it was clear this was going to be the ballad. How have they played so many shows while only playing two of the post space ballads? Phil playing with John and Weir on this was really good and John's solo at the end of the Chain was seriously good. Then they start this jam towards the end of Chain that built up to something else entirely, to the point where John takes ANOTHER solo and this one was incredible--a fucking behemoth of a solo. Then Weir started Grow, which was also a monster if you can believe that. At one point on this, John was playing some funky ass rhythm along with his leads and it just got a little crazy.

They built the Golden Road, sung by John, to a nice climax. I actually don't really like this song. For some reason, I'm not crazy about some of the earlier material like this, but for someone who likes this, they must have liked this version a lot. The band seemed to be loving playing it too. The Viola Lee had Bob and Phil taking the vocals. Many people here know well and good that John can take the ending jam on this one with DSO and blow up the world, and although this wasn't that, his solo at the end was seriously serious and it brought the place down.

The Deep Elem had Weir take the first verse, John the second and switch off like that with Weir taking the last verse (the 5th).

These guys are going to do some special stuff on the big tour in Feb cause they are doing some special stuff now. I got lucky for the most part with the vocal stuff but however much some of us don't like it, the one thing that's clear to most people who see these guys (I think) is that they HAVE to share the Garcia/Hunter stuff--they just have to, and that's the way it is going to be--the way destiny has decided it was meant to be. So we're either on the bus or not.

As for the ballads, the world still wants to know who's going to take them. I know in my gut that John is going to sing Stella (if they do Stella)... but as for the others--it's up in the air. Dew is the big one and those vocals will probably be shared.

I got there early because there was no traffic (I didn't consider the fact that it was the holidays) and heard much of the sound check. I think it's clear that they are going to do a 3rd set of Floyd thing for NYE--mostly from DSOTM and some other things Phil likes to do like Whish You Were Here. That's why they have the back up singers. The two woman also sang with them for the show but they are clearly are just learning these songs. Who knows if they are going to play with them after the NYE show.

Nice review, shivers up my spine, gald you enjoyed it!

Thank you for the great review, David!!

I am really getting stoked for the shows at the civic. I was not aware of Phil's interest in Pink Floyd, but I really hope you are right about this. I love Floyd, and would LOVE to hear a Dead interpretation of their music!!! This could really be amazing!!

This show was incredibly smokin' HOT!

Unlike David, The Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion) may have even been my personal highlight of the night. So much fun to dance to!!! "Hey hey, hey, come right away, Come and join the party every day..."

Mississippi Half-Step was glorious; The Unbroken Chain deep, moving, and had an amazing jam; Deep Elem Blues was a superb, traditional rendition and made the night completely satisfying!

Bravo!

Guest deadheadmike

Great revue David !!!

I love Floyd, and would LOVE to hear a Dead interpretation of their music!!! This could really be amazing!!

As I said ;) , I think they have some far out stuff planned for NYE ... SF is in for quite a NYE !!!

Guest kimberkline

The backgrounds singers (at least the one) in the video is one of Jerry's daughter...Sunshine I think

Archived