Throwing Stones

After Midnight

Death Don't Have No Mercy

Shakedown Street>

Hell In A Bucket

Encore:

Ripple

• Forum MVP

thank you for the Alpine tapes!.. received them today..

My pleasure.

Play them loud--the first set of 7/19 might be my favorite.

The first show (the one they used most of in the DHFH video) is a matrix source--thought you might want to have that audio too.

It's a shame they don't release the audio of these video releases. I have just started to record some of them to CD with a program but am getting static on some sections even though I keep lowering the recording level.

I'll let you know if I do get a good recording of that Vid--which has the whole second set of the first night.

could do without corrina, really want to hear a JK hurricane

I'm not a fan of corrina either. This corrina rocked hard. I was shocked.

This show was my favorite of the 6 I have been too. A whine would be Bobby singing death don't. Solo wise and just the tone of the song made me get over it.

I'm seriously considering heading out east from here tomorrow for nh, mass, Utica. I can be at work Monday with a long drive from Utica to Detroit on Sunday. Tomorrow morning is decision time. Check weather (probably iffy), check if tix still available, and ....... Go?

• Forum MVP

Interesting how Bobby sang Death Don't after JK had already seemed to take that one. If you are pondering on going for more that is a good sign! I will be at New Hampshire and Amherst.

only the second time I've seen two shows in a row... so psyched. (the first time was Dark Star Orchestra after that first show...... oh man)

I'm seriously considering heading out east from here tomorrow for nh, mass, Utica. I can be at work Monday with a long drive from Utica to Detroit on Sunday. Tomorrow morning is decision time. Check weather (probably iffy), check if tix still available, and ....... Go?

I was just high with aftershow excitement. That's alot of driving on potentialy snowy or icy highways. Damn. Last night I was sure I was getting up and going.

The reason I loved last night so much was all the new songs. Or new songs for me. Alligator, Queen Jane, Duprees, Hurricane, Corrina, Don't ease, Hard to handle, Death don't and get back. First time in front of the masses for all these tunes? I know some got played at the practice shows. Even if I'm wrong on one or two, that's alot of fresh stuff. I loved it.

• Forum MVP

Yes... the audio is great on all... I haven't gotten to listen to all of it but... the Standing>Space>Wheel from the first show was just amazing. Where does the "close encounters" come from?

Garcia plays around with the Encounters theme during the space of the fist show (7/17) which was the one used in the video.

No mention of it in deadbase like the one at Deer Creek a couple days before (7/15) but it's there.

Sometimes, I edit out some of the drums and space in the second set so I can fit it on one CD (blasphemy...I know) but I wanted to include that part of that set because of those glorious memories from Eugene '78.

Interesting how Bobby sang Death Don't after JK had already seemed to take that one.

Friend told me that today...I was hoping that Bob took a verse like in the 89 versions.

Who knows...maybe it still works. I'm glad I caught the '68-'69 version in Marin though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Interesting how Bobby sang Death Don't after JK had already seemed to take that one.

I just listened to Bob's take on this one the other day. It's a different song with him taking the vocals but it works nonetheless.

With this band, it's going to turn into a classic Weir song I think, he really sings it well and it fits him pretty good.

I just listened to Bob's take on this one the other day. It's a different song with him taking the vocals but it works nonetheless.

With this band, it's going to turn into a classic Weir song I think--he really sings the hell out of it and it fits him pretty good.

And as much as I would love to hear JK singing Sugaree...Last nights BW version is very soulful...He sang it IMHO as if it was a beautiful tribute to Jerry...The baton will eventually be passed on, but I for one am willing and able to let Bob and Phil have their moment in the setting sun...they are bringing it hard and it is very touching and beautiful...It must be so effortless for them to play with John...I know I am repeating myself but this is a beautiful thing...AND I can't wait to see DSO in April! much love to all....J

Archived