Snow Snow Snow!

Herdygerdy

• Advisory Board

Thankfully, it looks like the hard stuff is gonna miss good ol winter-worn Harford County, but look out to y'all in PA, Jersey, New York State, and north... 74 mile an hour winds with an inch an hour?? That's gonna SUCK!!!

"A powerful storm of historical proportions is aiming at much of the Northeast Thursday into Friday and will follow up to a foot and a half of snow through Wednesday over upstate New York and western New England.

This second storm will be nothing short of a monster. Even in light of the blizzards earlier this winter that targeted the southern mid-Atlantic, this may be the one that people remember the most this winter in parts of New England and the northern mid-Atlantic.

At its peak, the storm will deliver near hurricane-force wind gusts (74 mph) blinding snow falling at the rate of over an inch per hour. For some people in upstate New York and eastern and northern Pennsylvania, this may seem more like a "snow hurricane" rather than a blizzard.

Cities likely to be impacted by heavy snow for all or at least part of the storm include: New York City, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Scranton, Allentown, Reading, Williamsport and Burlington.

The storm also deliver heavy rain and flooding northeast of the center of circulation.

The cities of Boston, Providence and Portland may have their hands full with coastal flooding problems.

The combination of wind, heavy rain and heavy snow will lead to extensive power outages and property damage. Where numerous trees and lines are blown down, the power could be out for a week in some areas.

Impacts on travel in the region may be severe. The effects of the storm will lead to flight delays and cancellations. Some major roads may be blocked by snow, downed trees or flooding.

Many schools will be closed or have early dismissals.

Blowout tides caused by strong offshore winds from New Jersey to North Carolina may pose problems for coastal waterway interests.

Exactly where this storm forms and tracks will determine whether you get all snow, all rain, snow to rain or just snow showers. A variance in track of as little as 50 miles will make a difference.

One thing is for sure, most people in the mid-Atlantic and New England will have problems from this storm's strong winds."

http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews

This guy, FOOT, is amazing. He's close to 100% correct with his forcasting thanks to the incredible access to data he has, the input from many other weather geeks and real meteorologists, and the students he has who he puts to work correlating it all, etc..

If you live in Maryland, he's the man you want to watch.

http://www.footsforecast.org/

PS I'm planning my evening activities now in anticipation of ANOTHER day off from school!!!! By the way, the activities I'm thinking of are actually my on line graduate class. Three weeks......pure torture!!!!!!!!!!!! Good news, it's over in two more weeks. Bad news, well, I have a SHITLOAD of work to do between now and then!! Bring on the snow!!!!!

Guest deadheadmike

just finished shoveling my ass off and I'll probably have to go for another round of shoveling , its still snowing ... good thing I packed on a little extra ass this winter :P ... come on SPRING (!!!) I know your out there somewhere ... B)

just finished shoveling my ass off and I'll probably have to go for another round of shoveling , its still snowing ... good thing I packed on a little extra ass this winter tongue.gif ... come on SPRING (!!!) I know your out there somewhere ... cool.gif

And I'M in school. So much for my day off. We got NOTHING. Have fun shoveling Mike!! We're just getting dug out of our 3 1/2 feet from the other week. As much as I love the snow, I'm OK with you guys getting the dumping up there!!!!

Guest deadheadmike

And I'M in school. So much for my day off. We got NOTHING. Have fun shoveling Mike!! We're just getting dug out of our 3 1/2 feet from the other week. As much as I love the snow, I'm OK with you guys getting the dumping up there!!!!

:( I just finished shoveling again Kira and they say more snow coming :(

:dsorocks:

Guest deadheadmike

I will be thinking of you all while I'm laying out on Sunday.

send us some sunny vibes ... my neighborhood is starting to look like the picture you posted ...

Archived