Birdsong>

St. Stephen>

Born Cross-Eyed>

Eyes Of The World>

Morning Dew>

Playing In The Band Reprise

Encore:

Brokedown Palace

they need to continue with these backdrops... looks like a planetarium in there!

• Forum MVP

Started the first show with playin and ends the second with the reprise, thats what im talking bout. Started the first Hammerstein show the same way with the jam>truckin>dire wolf. Very cool second set. Seems like they smoked NYC back to back this time around.

Started the first show with playin and ends the second with the reprise, thats what im talking bout. Started the first Hammerstein show the same way with the jam>truckin>dire wolf. Very cool second set. Seems like they smoked NYC back to back this time around.

I was thinking that the Fairfax show was one of the biggest "playin sandwiches" ever, but this clearly tops it!

• Forum MVP

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-02-24.neumann-km184.damico.106292.flac16

some notes..

the Playin' reprise was very impressive.. Phil is plays a few of his amazing lines that I haven't ever heard him playing in a post Grateful Dead band...

This Till The Morning Comes is seriously amazing... they're playing it so fast... Phil is blowing my mind... I think he may have re-fell in love with the Modulus..

Beautiful recording for an audience tape.

Setlist had a much more traditional cadence (I guess Jill and Matt are doing their homework).

I like the slow version of Mama Tried they've been playing. It has a certain sweetness to it which totally changes the tone of the song.

Music. John was able to successfully negotiate the "never stops" to get in a nice closing solo.

Touch- beautifully played. Actually enjoyed the John-Bobby vocal tradeoff (the contrast makes John sound even more Jerrylike- kind of spooky but nice)

The second set was classic squared. Classic versions of classic songs. Pristine and soaring playing on UJB. Even liked the vocals. Great John-Phil interaction on Scarlet. Jeff showing his jazz roots on eyes. A perfect Dew. A tasty Playin reprise, slice 2 of the NY sandwich (corned beef on rye, no doubt). Beautiful playing and backup singing on the Brokedown encore (trying to keep positive here). Enough to make a cynic smile.

Beautiful recording for an audience tape.

Setlist had a much more traditional cadence (I guess Jill and Matt are doing their homework).

I like the slow version of Mama Tried they've been playing. It has a certain sweetness to it which totally changes the tone of the song.

Music. John was able to successfully negotiate the "never stops" to get in a nice closing solo.

Touch- beautifully played. Actually enjoyed the John-Bobby vocal tradeoff (the contrast makes John sound even more Jerrylike- kind of spooky but nice)

The second set was classic squared. Classic versions of classic songs. Pristine and soaring playing on UJB. Even liked the vocals. Great John-Phil interaction on Scarlet. Jeff showing his jazz roots on eyes. A perfect Dew. A tasty Playin reprise, slice 2 of the NY sandwich (corned beef on rye, no doubt). Beautiful playing and backup singing on the Brokedown encore (trying to keep positive here). Enough to make a cynic smile.

I've listened to some selected parts of this tape, and from what I've heard, this was one fine concert! This is one show I would have loved to be at. However, the one thing that I really find appalling (once again) are the talkers. Listen to the Dew on this tape. Absolutely wonderful performance, but in the background, it sounds like there is some massive cocktail party going on. What is with audiences these days? Maybe I sound like some old curmudeon, but so many of the kids these days just don't seem to have any appreciation for beauty. It's all about going to what is considered a cool event, and then spending the night shouting at each other. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I just don't remember this kind of disrepectful crap going on in the 70s and 80s. Sorry for venting here, but I would love to be able to hear this show without all the background noise.

• Forum MVP

neutrino, I heard that at well... didn't seem like just kids though, I was so disappointed to hear that.. it honestly sounded like a party and they were treating that as background music which is just a shame... all those people seemed to only stop once the music got really loud but that could just be the volume of the music covering up there voices..

neutrino, I heard that at well... didn't seem like just kids though, I was so disappointed to hear that.. it honestly sounded like a party and they were treating that as background music which is just a shame... all those people seemed to only stop once the music got really loud but that could just be the volume of the music covering up there voices..

Didn't mean to smear any age group. I'm sure there are talkers of all ages. However, I've kind of observed this unfortunate behaviour as almost an anthropology study, and it seems to me that it's mostly the mid 20-somethings. The older heads as a general rule, seem to have more respect for the music. I also find the teenagers are more attentive and interested in what is happening on stage, and seem less likely to be there to gab with their friends. I actually have found this nonsense to be worse at DSO shows than at Furthur. It was very bad in the later years of GD, when people went to shows because it was considered the hip thing to do. I try to tune it out, but sometimes it is just too much. I got into a bit of a tiff at the Fillmore not too long ago when some idiots were yapping away behind me during an absolutely wonderful Comes a Time. We were right up near the front, and I just couldn't believe it. I also can't help but wonder if the band hears these rude people?

• Forum MVP

Based upon my observations, I concur that the consistently worst talkers as a group seem to be 20-somethings. Yes, I know that is painting with a broad brush, but it does appear to be true. I like the cocktail party analogy; the one I often use is that it is as if they are having their 10th high school class reunion right where we are trying to dance. I feel bad that we are crashing their private party.

Listening again I didn't notice so much rude conversation as inappropriate hooting (in the middle rather than at the beginning of Morning Dew). If this is a change from the old days, I suspect it is more related to increased alcohol consumption than to reduced interest in the music.

Archived