She Belongs To Me

sakada

• Forum MVP

Not to give away our ages, but anyone else remember those three set shows with an accoustic opening?

I think there was only one of those--Hapur College.

Not there myself, unfortunately. It's weird to think some of you all were seeing an acoustic Black Peter before I got to this world.

• Forum MVP

david,

maybe cm_hayden is talking about Warfield's, New Orleans, and Radio City 1980 ?

but these are 3 sets with acoustic set opener like HarpurCollege:

6.6.70 fillmore west

11.6.70 capitol, port chester

11.7.70 capitol, port chester

• Forum MVP

No. Over 40 shows with acoustic sets in '70 - then there were the '80 shows...

yes there were just under 40, but only 4 with acoustic set opener followed by 2 electric sets, and i think that's what David is referring to, as im sure he is aware of other acoustic shows in 1970 and 1980

in '70, electric set 1, followed by acoustic set, then electric set 2 was common

like this

04-10-70 Fillmore West

Electric-1: Cold Rain, New Speedway, Mama Tried, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Hard To Handle, Casey Jones

Acoustic: FOTD, Deep Elem, Candyman, Wake Up Little Susie> Black Peter, Uncle John

Electric-2: It's A Man's World, Dancin, High Time, Alligator> Caution> We Bid You Goodnight

• Forum MVP

david,

maybe cm_hayden is talking about Warfield's, New Orleans, and Radio City 1980 ?

but these are 3 sets with acoustic set opener like HarpurCollege:

6.6.70 fillmore west

11.6.70 capitol, port chester

11.7.70 capitol, port chester

"...three set shows with an accoustic opening"

The 6/6/70 is a 2 setter. The electric set is just a long one.

I actually forgot about that Portchester run...my deadbase never got those shows right either so it just got entered into my brain erroneously.

Thanks for fixing that Torin--the misinformation, not my brain.

That makes two of them from the early times.

• Forum MVP

yes there were just under 40, but only 4 with acoustic set opener followed by 2 electric sets, and i think that's what David is referring to, as im sure he is aware of other acoustic shows in 1970 and 1980

in '70, electric set 1, followed by acoustic set, then electric set 2 was common

like this

04-10-70 Fillmore West

Electric-1: Cold Rain, New Speedway, Mama Tried, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Hard To Handle, Casey Jones

Acoustic: FOTD, Deep Elem, Candyman, Wake Up Little Susie> Black Peter, Uncle John

Electric-2: It's A Man's World, Dancin, High Time, Alligator> Caution> We Bid You Goodnight

There were about 41 acoustic sets in '70 (though some don't circulate). As for the show's structures, they did change over the course of the year, as I guess we all know. I was thinking of all of the NRPS shows starting in May when they typically played Dead/NRPS/Dead (unlike, say, the April show you mention). True, on 5/2/70 they broke briefly in the midst of the second Dead set, but didn't really play more or longer than the other NRPS shows. Nonetheless, tip of the cap for seeing it that way. But wouldn't that make 5/2/70 a four-setter? Yes, it does! It certainly gets tricky trying to figure out what they were up to at some of these really old shows. For example, Deadbase has it wrong about 11/6/70 - there was just one long electric set, not two. It was just one of those long Dead/NRPS/Dead shows. Either way, what an incendiary show!

• Forum MVP

For example, Deadbase has it wrong about 11/6/70 - there was just one long electric set, not two. It was just one of those long Dead/NRPS/Dead shows.

There is an acoustic soundcheck for that 11/6/70 show too, which confuses things even more.

Archived