Favorite Furthur Solo

NYHead12

C'mon folks...we all know 5-5-77 Sugaree is the shit :) and a perfect example of why JK should be singing it...cause after those monster lead breaks...JG is right on the vocal immediately...no four/eight bars to draw the energy down...just right back in your face with the vocal...

Just sitting here listening to the Lake Placid Sugaree again. First off: wow. Didn't know the boys could whale like this in '83.

Second: I just noticed that Rob Eaton is the one who taped this show. Funny how things come full circle.

Thanks, Rob, for the pristine tape, and for singing Bobby's parts better than Bobby sings them these days ;)

I agree that the best solo I saw on the tour was the closing solos of Sugaree at Barton Hall.

I was losing my mind while it was going on. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

As SOON as the song ended and they left for set break, I turned to my friends and said "I do believe thats the best version of Sugaree I've heard EVER by ANYONE...EVER".

High praise, I know, but I felt it was deserving.

Please, somebody kick me, but I just can't seem to stop picking at this scab. After the best performance of Sugaree on the tour with JK at the helm, I can think of any number of negative reasons to go back to the old Bobby versions ( which I will restrain myself and not elaborate on). But for the life of me I can't think of a single positive reason that they'd go back. I mean, hello?

• Forum MVP

I love when this Forum goes back an forth about certain version of a song. #1 It gives me a chance to go back and listen or re-listen to another smoking version of something #2 "the best" is so subjective to whether you were there, what was going on in your world the 1st time you heard that version etc, etc, etc.

But really, even if the band was only partially "on" that night, Sugaree has always been one of those songs that can change the whole flow of the night from "good" to "unfreaking believable" in a heartbeat. It's just one of those songs. There are good versions of Sugaree but I have yet to hear (before you go nuts Stone and Torin, I said YET) a horrible one.

Wow..thanks David...that 87' RFK is like the condensed kick ass version! Third pass is in your face! Love getting turned onto great Sugarees that had thus far escaped me... :)

Guest deadheadmike

I love how this thread and all our threads start out as one thing and totally evolve ... and a good portion of them like this one end up in friendly debate over opinions of what was the best Sugaree Garcia ever performed ... :D

you guys are the best and long live the memory and music of JERRY GARCIA !!!

Archived