Favorite Furthur Solo

NYHead12

Being that I was only able to make two of the shows, Patriot Center 2-13 and Mohegan Sun 2-26, I would like to know which solo is worth paying special attention to. If someone where to ask me I would point them to John's solo at the end of Foolish Heart, around 8:25, after a smoking solo by Jeff, 7:07, that pointed JK in the perfect direction! I have replayed that show and especially that Foolish time after time and it never gets old! Would love to hear other opinions.

Even A Blind Man Knows When The Sun is Shinin'

• Forum MVP

Being that I was only able to make two of the shows, Patriot Center 2-13 and Mohegan Sun 2-26, I would like to know which solo is worth paying special attention to. If someone where to ask me I would point them to John's solo at the end of Foolish Heart, around 8:25, after a smoking solo by Jeff, 7:07, that pointed JK in the perfect direction! I have replayed that show and especially that Foolish time after time and it never gets old! Would love to hear other opinions.

Even A Blind Man Knows When The Sun is Shinin'

2nd night Colorado........Morning Dew.

2nd night Colorado........Morning Dew.

I agree with this!!!!! Biased as I was 20 feet from the stage when it happened and have been listening to it since I got home daily.

Like any great Morning Dew, it just keeps on giving. You keep thinking, ok, its over. But its not.

This is a bit of a stretch for your one song, but, night 2 of Chicago was one big song and one huge guitar solo.

Guest deadheadmike

Saw the first 3 in Oakland and Asbury Park night 1 ... so far nothing other than the excitement of being there and seeing John on stage with Phil and Bob stands out ... some of the recorded stuff sounds good but the real feelings come from being there ... I'll see what this summer tour brings as I'm taking in some of the more local shows in NY and Philly ...

Saw the first 3 in Oakland and Asbury Park night 1 ... so far nothing other than the excitement of being there and seeing John on stage with Phil and Bob stands out ... some of the recorded stuff sounds good but the real feelings come from being there ... I'll see what this summer tour brings as I'm taking in some of the more local shows in NY and Philly ...

upon re-listening to the sbds of them, seemed like a different band {tighter, etc} since those shows...

I agree that the best solo I saw on the tour was the closing solos of Sugaree at Barton Hall.

I was losing my mind while it was going on. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

As SOON as the song ended and they left for set break, I turned to my friends and said "I do believe thats the best version of Sugaree I've heard EVER by ANYONE...EVER".

High praise, I know, but I felt it was deserving.

• Forum MVP

I only saw the tour closer in Portland but I have heard a few other shows. IMO, and it probably doesn't hurt that I was there, but JK's ending solo in Rider (after they fixed his amp) was un-freakin' believable. There was some serious agression being let loose on that baby and I'm not used to hearing John play what I would consider to be agressive solos.

• Forum MVP

I only saw the tour closer in Portland but I have heard a few other shows. IMO, and it probably doesn't hurt that I was there, but JK's ending solo in Rider (after they fixed his amp) was un-freakin' believable. There was some serious agression being let loose on that baby and I'm not used to hearing John play what I would consider to be agressive solos.

I was there. It was amazing. I can't really pick a favorite, but that was tasty.

• Forum MVP

As SOON as the song ended and they left for set break, I turned to my friends and said "I do believe thats the best version of Sugaree I've heard EVER by ANYONE...EVER".

High praise, I know, but I felt it was deserving.

Can we assume you weren't at Lake Placid '83? B)

Guest deadheadmike

Or somewhere in America from '77 to '84.

:rofl: ... and this reply is why you continue to be one of the forum members who's post I love to read ( there are a couple others but you hold a high ranking ) and one of the people I look very forward to seeing whenever I'm in the Bay area ... Don't ever change !!!! :)

Those assumptions would actually be correct. I'm a youngster (born in '86), and unfortunately never got to see the GD in their heyday. I did spend a lot of my childhood in Lake Placid, though. :)

Thanks for the link. That was a smokin' version indeed.

Perhaps my judgement at Barton Hall was colored by something I ate that night. Nevertheless, give the Sugaree a listen, as JK does indeed tear it up. A great set closer.

Guest deadheadmike

Those assumptions would actually be correct. I'm a youngster (born in '86), and unfortunately never got to see the GD in their heyday. I did spend a lot of my childhood in Lake Placid, though. :)

Perhaps my judgement at Barton Hall was colored by something I ate that night. Nevertheless, give the Sugaree a listen, as JK does indeed tear it up. A great set closer.

21 years old I see ... keep rockin ' , your on the right musical track , young man !!! :)

Guest deadheadmike

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike. But unless you were making some sort of joke that I didn't understand, I think your math may be a little fuzzy :P

sorry , looked at the wrong profile .... hows 24 ??? if I'm wrong , lets just call it a day ;) and welcome you to the forum young man !!!

Thanks for the welcome. I really like it here. The people are soooo much nicer than at some of the *ahem* OTHER forums.

And let me just add that, while this particular topic was/is about Furthur, I am here because I love DSO. I am so, so thankful that they are keeping the torch burning. My first live experience with Grateful Dead music was in 2003 when I saw Joan and the Dead. Lets just say I was a bit underwhelmed. With no disrepsect intended, I simply couldn't get behind the "3 guitarists" approach. To me, the whole thing sounded like a disorganized, long-winded cover band. I saw the Dead again in '04 and it was a bit better, but I still wasn't exactly thrilled.

Enter DSO. My first DSO show was the re-creation of 5/8/77 in Ithaca (Listening to Fire on the Mountain from the Barton Hall tapes is what made me a lifelong fan). I was an instant convert. The band re-created both the sound and the energy that I really felt was lacking from the post-Jerry Dead iterations. I have seen them many times since then. I was at first heartbroken when John left. However, once I heard mr. Matteson tear up an '89 show a few months ago here in Ithaca, I knew DSO would be just fine. Perhaps "fine" is an understatement. It occured to me during the closing notes

of "Terrapin Station" that they actually sounded BETTER to my ears. Full of a new energy and new creative juice, if you will. Now I can see that the band is evolving and growing. And not only that...I now have TWO great bands to go see (I feel John's presence makes Furthur the best post-Jerry iteration HANDS DOWN.)

Anyway, In order to not be COMPLETELY off topic, I'll mention another solo I really enjoyed. In Bethlehem, the entire second set was plagued by technical difficulties. Because John's guitar barely worked, Jeff was forced to step up to the plate and basically play lead. I always love Chimenti's work to begin with, but this was the MOST I had heard him play, and I felt he really saved the band's bacon. Can't wait to see 'em again this Summer. I can only hope they add a few songs to their rrepertoire (would it be too much to ask to have a few more "Estimated"'s?).

Take care, and see you at the shows!

• Forum MVP

:rofl: ... and this reply is why you continue to be one of the forum members who's post I love to read ( there are a couple others but you hold a high ranking ) and one of the people I look very forward to seeing whenever I'm in the Bay area ... Don't ever change !!!! :)

Right back at ya Mike.

No, you're judgement seems spot on. That Sugaree was perfect--it could have easily been a set closer too.

I was listeing to it at home and we were pretty pumped when John stepped up to the mike. We were calling game over at that point and predicting the 3rd solo would bring the house down and lo and behold...

I was there. It was amazing. I can't really pick a favorite, but that was tasty.

how can you pick just one!?

this one did come to mind though....

john broke a string and had to wave the band off for several seconds for his solo while trying to get his other guitar amplified. he seemed so frustrated during those couple seconds that once his guitar was on he just exploded

goganious....your welome man. And don't think i was saying that version in Ithaca wasn't smokin'...it definately was something special. Was just pointing out just when you think you have heard the difinitive version of a tune one pop's it's head up from the vault to say "ahemm.....remember me?" :cheers:

• Forum MVP

I think the Sugaree from 10/16/77 owns 10/17/83...hmmmm...both mid October and a day apart. Far out. :rolleyes:

Owns? Oh...you mean you like it better.

They are completely different animals to me.

Different tempos.

Different bands.

A good argument can be made that Placid '83 is the best 3 lead Sugaree ever (the 10/16 has two big leads or solos).

Another good argument can be made that all the Sugarees in the Spring of '77, starting from 3/18/77 on through that spring tour 'owned' the Sugaree from 10/16/77--a Sugaree and first set that I hold in very high esteem!

Archived