Reno 4-22-10

chuckvegas

• Forum MVP

4/22/10 Knitting Factory Reno, Reno, NV - Original Setlist

Set One: Hey Pocky Way ; Black Throated Wind ; Stagger Lee ; Mamma Tried > Big River ; Friend of the Devil, You Ain't Women Enough (To Take My Man) > When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Brown Eyed Women ; Promised Land

Set Two: Viola Lee Blues ; Lazy Lightning > Supplication ; Mason's Children > New Speedway Boogie > Drums > Space > Not Fade Away > So Many Roads > Sugar Magnolia > Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Second That Emotion

Emphasis added. Rumor has it that it was a "scorcher," and since there was snow there the day before I don't think that was a weather report. Sweet.

• Forum MVP

4/22/10 Knitting Factory Reno, Reno, NV - Original Setlist

Set One: Hey Pocky Way ; Black Throated Wind ; Stagger Lee ; Mamma Tried > Big River ; Friend of the Devil, You Ain't Women Enough (To Take My Man) > When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Brown Eyed Women ; Promised Land

Set Two: Viola Lee Blues ; Lazy Lightning > Supplication ; Mason's Children > New Speedway Boogie > Drums > Space > Not Fade Away > So Many Roads > Sugar Magnolia > Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Second That Emotion

Emphasis added. Rumor has it that it was a "scorcher," and since there was snow there the day before I don't think that was a weather report. Sweet.

Nice to see Roads in the ballad slot!

Bring on the 80s in SF tonight!

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Ain't Women Enough ... sick ... :wacko:

New Speedway Boogie .. awesome ... :blink:

So Many Roads ... sweet ... :huh:

All in the same show... sick awesome and sweet ... :wub:

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

As long as ARCH is OK with this type of hap-hazard revue style , I'm good ... I think He's a little more concerned with the tours starting to run in a closer proximity of each other , so He may let this loosey goosey revue slide ...

As long as ARCH is OK with this type of hap-hazard revue style , I'm good ... I think He's a little more concerned with the tours starting to run in a closer proximity of each other , so He may let this loosey goosey revue slide ...

Why does ARCH have to be ok with it? When did ARCH become the be all end all? While I think its fun to read the reviews, there is no set way to give a review. Its subjective and don't care about the structure. My underlying motives, since I joined this forum in January, is to make sure that DSO gets as much attention on this board if not MORE than other bands. It is the DSO forum after all. Would still like to get some live updates going around here for DSO.

• Forum MVP

Why does ARCH have to be ok with it? When did ARCH become the be all end all? While I think its fun to read the reviews, there is no set way to give a review. Its subjective and don't care about the structure. My underlying motives, since I joined this forum in January, is to make sure that DSO gets as much attention on this board if not MORE than other bands. It is the DSO forum after all. Would still like to get some live updates going around here for DSO.

Just busting your balls a little ARCH my friend ,and I wanted to see you come out and shake the place up a little . ;)

I know people who did, but evidently "scorcher" is about all the review there's going to be. Eloquent, evocative, and concise.

I was there

flight was late missed first three songs

blank box type venue

pretty full but easy to get up front

I had a great time and found the band had gelled considerably since Petaluma.

I really enjoy Stu especially the elective set lists

there was a moment where Eaton actually got my attention enough that I turned to look

I was digging some musical something he was working up with Stu

very nice to see Mr. Eaton working his magic and finding a way to surprise me

I believe there is serious potential in the long run between Eaton and Stu - the musical tension is palatable and makes for some great magic moments

it was well worth the effort to make it to Reno

lots of cool dancers in the crowd and great fun was had by all

sorry I never remember the set lists so I can't give you that play-by-play review that some folks can

keep on dancing

-e

Guest Stromatolite

Well folks, here is my first review. I've been a DeadHead for a dangerously long time and seen a bunch of shows (I was the bagel seller on the west coast when Ronnie was in the big house); I have only seen two DSO shows. Oh, and I can dance like a fool but ain't no musician. With that intro, here is my review. I wasn't sure what to expect, with the guitar shift and, more importantly, a string of smoking shows (based on the reviews). My guess was that the band would use Reno to test out some material and it seemed to play out that way. The scene was a bit weird with the long hall vibe. My buddy and I powered for several hours to get to the show so we were anxious. With the Pocky Way start, I had a sense it would have a late 80s early 90s feel. As the show went on, it was a fun, interesting mix. One can always try to read into the minds of the band members, but what is it worth? My criticism: I thought Stu held back too much. He is an amazing guitarist and should cut loose. Maybe it is hard to join a band that has been on the road a while, but as an audience member, I could sense the band was digging it and working with him to sort out nuances. When I first saw DSO, I was blown away and an instant fan. It felt like the how the Dead Shows were supposed to sound. (I came on the scene during the coma Jerry days). It seems to me that Stu is just the next iteration. The band was tight on all the songs. It seemed to my admitted untrained eye that the rhythm guitarist was playing more complex than Bobby would do, but who knows? Highlights for me: No doubt the smoking rendition of "Women Enough." Lisa has such incredible musicianship and in many concert recordings I listen to she is too relegated to back up singer. Put her up front! Second, Viola Lee Blues. Wow--I didn't expect that. So smooth, so wonderful, and so unique. Third was the Drums-Space. I admit I wasn't always into it with the Dead, but I was mesmerized in Reno. Finally, kudos to Rob for just being cool on the stage and keeping it in the family.

What appeals to me with DSO is the whole groovy anachronism of the concept. Live it up! Most of the folks in the crowd weren't geezers like me but young dudes. You have Stu for a while at least, let him blast out! I want to hear him uncaged.

Finally, with all the hullaballo, what really defines art? Specifically, what defines a righteous concert? I was down in front and everyone was dancing and cheering and focused and finally, exhausted. That makes a good concert.

Hope this makes a good post.

Archived