Happy Birthday Pete Seeger

VincentPuleo

Pete Seeger has to be one of the coolest guys who has ever lived.

I mean, his banjo has the words "This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender" written on it.

I was blessed and lucky enough to be able to attend his 90th birthday celebration at MSG a year or two ago. It was one of, if not THE coolest shows I have ever attended. Everyone was there. John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews, Joan Baez, Tom Morello, Ben Harper, Roger McGuinn, Warren Haynes, Ani DiFranco, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Franti, and many, many more. Being in Madison Square Garden while all of those incredible musicians were onstage together and while the entire arena sang "Amazing Grace" together is something I will never, ever forget. Whats more, I learned a great deal about the life and music and activism of Mr Seeger throughout the years, and left a much bigger fan than when I enetered. I hope to go and take a sail on his sloop in lower/central New York state some time in the near future.

When I get out of work tonight, I shall have to play "Waist deep in the Big Muddy" and "Little Boxes" and "We Shall Overcome" on my gee-tar and think of ol' Pete.

Happy Birthday Pete :cheers:

Pete Seeger has to be one of the coolest guys who has ever lived.

I mean, his banjo has the words "This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender" written on it.

I was blessed and lucky enough to be able to attend his 90th birthday celebration at MSG a year or two ago. It was one of, if not THE coolest shows I have ever attended. Everyone was there. John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews, Joan Baez, Tom Morello, Ben Harper, Roger McGuinn, Warren Haynes, Ani DiFranco, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Franti, and many, many more. Being in Madison Square Garden while all of those incredible musicians were onstage together and while the entire arena sang "Amazing Grace" together is something I will never, ever forget. Whats more, I learned a great deal about the life and music and activism of Mr Seeger throughout the years, and left a much bigger fan than when I enetered. I hope to go and take a sail on his sloop in lower/central New York state some time in the near future.

When I get out of work tonight, I shall have to play "Waist deep in the Big Muddy" and "Little Boxes" and "We Shall Overcome" on my gee-tar and think of ol' Pete.

Happy Birthday Pete :cheers:

There is nothing left to add to goganious's homage to this great man...except this picture (and maybe a big recommendation to attend http://www.clearwater.org/festival/ ) ~

pete-seeger.jpg

Guest jazz-man

Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie, two of my absolute heroes for their love of and stand for the working man (person). I'll never get to see him perform and I sure wish I could have been there at MSG. When they sing "This Land Is Your Land" Pete says "we sing ALL the verses"!

Archived