6-27-10 Park West Chicago,il

Yellow Tent

:dsorocks: 12-30-91 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca.

1: Touch, Wang Dang Doodle, Row Jimmy, Big River> Maggie's Farm, Ramble On, Tom Thumb Blues, Bird Song> Promised

2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, Samson, Ship Of Fools, Saint> Jam*> Drumz*> Last Time> Stella Blue*> Lovelight

E: The Weight

Filler: Wave To The Wind, Cats Under The Stars

Barnburner! What a beautiful venue. The sound was Dead On and lots of space to shake it. I took the first set from the balcony and just took in everything. Probably the best light show I have seen Brian work to date. There were beams coming from every direction with a huge disco ball suspended from this dome in the center of the ceiling and the dome was filled with sparkles and a Sun and a Dark Star. Had to be there i guess. But really, I could tell that he really put a lot of thought and hard work into this show and deserves a lot of credit for a job well done.

Such a fun show in the town where they started over 12.5 yrs ago. Lots of oldtimers comming out of the woodwork for this one im sure. Kevin did great tonight when he sang his verses on Maggie's farm and The Weight. You would have thought is was Bob Dylan or Little Feat for sure. Awesome! Lisa with lots of family and friends in the audience got huge applause when she came on for the filler (as usual). She did not dissapoint. Wonderful, beautiful Woman, man she let it all hang out tonight again! Gotta love it. Being im sleeping outside CDUTS was fitting for me and a Grate way to end such a fantastic day.

Peace Love and Safe Trips

Maningreen

Guest GratefulDom

This was one hell of a smoking show. We got there a bit late, we walked in on big river sat down for a bit and enjoyed the rest of the first set which was good but....

For the second set we went out on the floor and things just started smoking from there, china cat WOW, I know you rider WOW, Samson WOWOWOWOWOW. The stella blue was amazing as well. Lovelight was absolutely smoking and Jeff was on fire. The weight and Cats were perfect toppers.

Should have some vids soon hopefully the quality is decent.

• Advisory Board

There was no WTTW ( and no disrespect to anybody but please let's keep it that way!). The first filler was Strange Man.

Short review without the fluff. DSO sharp as a tack as always. All played to the peak of perfection.

The difference between the GD and DSO (for me) is that songs that felt like they were just filling space or going through the motions back in the day are treated and elevated by DSO to first class status. Nothing is taking up space or being played because it fits in the show in the right spot. I loved the GD but DSO breathes energy and life into songs that make them feel new to me.

The difference in DSO with JM is that JM is on the attack 100%. Every line he plays is meaningful and revs up a notch the whole tune and band. Not a single note he plays is thrown away. If you close your ears even for a second you will miss something great. Don't snooze because you will lose if you miss anything JM is saying with his guitar. Whether playing a blistering lead or playing backup he is completely in the game. On top of the game actually.

And his voice is excellent. Not just good or acceptable. It is beautiful and just perfect.

And the entire band is on fire but that's been the case for a long, long time.

Dr. B B)

The difference between the GD and DSO (for me) is that songs that felt like they were just filling space or going through the motions back in the day are treated and elevated by DSO to first class status. Nothing is taking up space or being played because it fits in the show in the right spot. I loved the GD but DSO breathes energy and life into songs that make them feel new to me.

And the entire band is on fire but that's been the case for a long, long time.

Absolutely...they maximize the potential of everything in the songbook.

Wait a minute...is this "Me and My Uncle"...? Why am I grooving so hard? It's too early. :rolleyes:

I guess even their "off" nights are played at such a high caliber that we all leave smiling regardless...I can't even think of any DSO shows I've seen or heard where I've felt they were just going through the motions. They always play with ultimate passion, devotion, and energy. Which is why we catch flights and plan vacations to see a 'tribute' band :rolleyes: ...I hate even using the title "Tribute Band" when describing some of my favorite adventures...I can't think of MORE of a misnomer. It's kind of embarrassing...people don't understand and verbal explanation is futile at best. I usually just smile. :D

• Forum MVP

There was no WTTW ( and no disrespect to anybody but please let's keep it that way!). The first filler was Strange Man.

Thank goodness, and thanks for making the record straight. Looked even stranger coming in the filler slot. I mean, performing that tune in an elective slot?!? :o

• Forum MVP

Dr. B cool.gif

D'accord.

• Forum MVP

Once I realized it was an early 90s show, I was concerned. But then I remembered this wasn't the Dead playing an early 90s show....why do I have to keep re-learning that lesson? The highlights for me included the first set Birdsong. Wow. Talk about re-education camp! By the end I was wearing an olive green cap with a red star and suppressing Tibetans. Go listen to the Dead's Birdsong from 12/30/90 and compare. I did the next morning. It's much mellower, even dreamy, but it suffers (in my opinion) from the computer-aided, overly tech sound of the time. While we're all glad this music lives, we're especially glad it's not just anybody keeping it alive.

The opening of the second set (China>Rider, Samson) was blistering. Cannot say enough about this Samson! And I couldn't agree more with Dr. Barry's observation. No filler or obligatory slot fillers here.

Finally, it seems that I cannot attend a show where Rob Barraco isn't absolutely on fire. I love watching him play!

I wish I could be in DeKalb tonight. Other than the usual things that keep people from going to DeKalb (oh, you farmers, I'm just kidding), I'm stuck in town with business issues. This tour looks to be off to a fantastic start. I'll find my peripatetic way to a few more this summer....

Finally, it seems that I cannot attend a show where Rob Barraco isn't absolutely on fire. I love watching him play!

Yep...Barraco is always on-point!

Seems to be a genuinely nice guy too...He's always smiling and throwing such positive energy at the crowd as he be-bops the ivory. He's very versatile too, I like the way he's been tackling the Brent tunes...I was cheesin' ear-to-ear in Austin while he was doin' the 'Little Red Rooster' rap.

Hey therrrr lil Red Roooostah! You ain't shit to meee!!!!

:rofl:

little%20red%20rooster.jpg

Archived