Rolling Stones Movie From 1972 Concert

neutrino

I should have posted something about this a week ago, as I suspect few heard about it. I was curious whether anyone else happened to hear about it and what they thought if they went? About 800 movie theaters across the country played this film just ONCE on Thursday evening. It was filmed in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in '72 and never was widely released for some reason. It is actually spliced together from the best performances from several concerts in the area, which is apparant by the sudden change of clothing between songs. They remastered it for a DVD to come out later this year. If you like the early Stones as I do, it was quite a treat! This was during the all too brief period that Mick Taylor was playing with them, and he completely blows all other Stones guitarists out of the water IMO. Hell--he blows away most guitarists from any band!! Setlist:

"Brown Sugar"

"Bitch"

"Gimme Shelter"

"Dead Flowers"

"Happy"

"Tumbling Dice"

"Love in Vain"

"Sweet Virginia"

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

"All Down the Line"

"Midnight Rambler"

"Bye Bye Johnny"

"Rip This Joint"

"Jumping Jack Flash"

"Street Fighting Man"

Those boys really could tear up the stage back in those days! Jagger gave a recent interview from London about the film at the beginning and mentioned that the Stones were often very sloppy on stage in those day, but not for these shows. I would have to agree.

I should have posted something about this a week ago, as I suspect few heard about it. I was curious whether anyone else happened to hear about it and what they thought if they went? About 800 movie theaters across the country played this film just ONCE on Thursday evening. It was filmed in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area in '72 and never was widely released for some reason. It is actually spliced together from the best performances from several concerts in the area, which is apparant by the sudden change of clothing between songs. They remastered it for a DVD to come out later this year. If you like the early Stones as I do, it was quite a treat! This was during the all too brief period that Mick Taylor was playing with them, and he completely blows all other Stones guitarists out of the water IMO. Hell--he blows away most guitarists from any band!! Setlist:

"Brown Sugar"

"Bitch"

"Gimme Shelter"

"Dead Flowers"

"Happy"

"Tumbling Dice"

"Love in Vain"

"Sweet Virginia"

"All Down the Line"

"Midnight Rambler"

"Bye Bye Johnny"

"Rip This Joint"

"Jumping Jack Flash"

"Street Fighting Man"

Those boys really could tear up the stage back in those days! Jagger gave a recent interview from London about the film at the beginning and mentioned that the Stones were often very sloppy on stage in those day, but not for these shows. I would have to agree.

The best album (Exile), bar none ever made. Let It Bleed; Sticky Fingers; Exile On Main St.; Goat's Head Soup; It's Only Rock 'n Roll....Mick Taylor was the man. Name a band that put out five straight albums of that magnitude.

"Brown Sugar"

"Bitch"

"Gimme Shelter"

"Dead Flowers"

"Happy"

"Tumbling Dice"

"Love in Vain"

"Sweet Virginia"

"All Down the Line"

"Midnight Rambler"

"Bye Bye Johnny"

"Rip This Joint"

"Jumping Jack Flash"

"Street Fighting Man"

Here's a Wolfgang's Vault link to a Stones show from Brussels in October, 1973. Mick Taylor's last show was a few days later. I had the chance to see him (Mick Taylor) recently (Late Spring?), but decided against. Still regretting...

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-rolling-stones/concerts/forest-national-october-17-1973.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100511

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

The Stones made four concert movies in 1972 that are worthy of checking out, if you can get a copy. Ladies and Gents is one, then there are two others and the fourth is called Cock Suckers Ball , it's called this because there is a scene were Mick actually has a scene with a woman that gives credit to the name of the film. They are all great concert films because of (as you called it) Mic Taylor is on lead guitar! The one you have is substantial enough to get the feel of a Stones 1972 concert.

and he completely blows all other Stones guitarists out of the water IMO.

Might be in the minority and I love Mick Taylor but I'll call you on that...

He may have been the best technical lead player...but I like Keith and Ronnies dimensions more..

Ron Wood for whatever reason never gets talked about as one of the great players in Rock History...

Dude is a killer IMHO...

Like Jerry said it's like Ice Cream ALL GOOD!!

He may have been the best technical lead player...but I like Keith and Ronnies dimensions more..

Ron Wood for whatever reason never gets talked about as one of the great players in Rock History...

Dude is a killer IMHO...

Black And Blue, + Some Girl's are great. Emotional Rescue BLOWS. Tattoo You is not quite great, but very good.

Dude is a killer IMHO...

It's all a matter of personal taste, and one's opinions regarding the "best guitarist" in the Stones (or in all rock and roll) for that matter) are all valid. Keith was not really a lead guitarist in the normal sense of the word, so trying to compare Taylor and Keith is sort ot the apples and oranges argument. Keith is the absolute master of the great riffs that make songs like Brown Suger and Start me Up so distinctly Stones, but he leaves the lead guitar playing to others. With Ronnie, it's a more reasonable side-by-side comparision. I do indeed think Ron Wood is superb guitarist (especially in his earlier years). I just don't think he stands up in stature with Mick Taylor, but that is just my personal perception. It has been said that the bitter relationship between Richards and Taylor was based on significant part by Keith being intimidated by Taylor's prowess. This is an interesting litle bit from wikipedia:

"Taylor has worked with his former bandmates on various occasions since leaving the Rolling Stones. In 1977 he attended London-based sessions for the John Phillips album Pay Pack & Follow, appearing on several tracks alongside Jagger (vocals), Richards (guitar) and Wood (bass) - taking notable solos on the songs "Oh Virginia" and "Zulu Warrior". A possibly apocryphal story is that after Taylor played a particularly jaw-dropping solo in the studio, Richards half-jokingly exclaimed, "That's why I never liked you, you bastard!" "

It's all a matter of personal taste, and one's opinions regarding the "best guitarist" in the Stones (or in all rock and roll) for that matter) are all valid. Keith was not really a lead guitarist in the normal sense of the word, so trying to compare Taylor and Keith is sort ot the apples and oranges argument. Keith is the absolute master of the great riffs that make songs like Brown Suger and Start me Up so distinctly Stones, but he leaves the lead guitar playing to others. With Ronnie, it's a more reasonable side-by-side comparision. I do indeed think Ron Wood is superb guitarist (especially in his earlier years). I just don't think he stands up in stature with Mick Taylor, but that is just my personal perception. It has been said that the bitter relationship between Richards and Taylor was based on significant part by Keith being intimidated by Taylor's prowess. This is an interesting litle bit from wikipedia:

"Taylor has worked with his former bandmates on various occasions since leaving the Rolling Stones. In 1977 he attended London-based sessions for the John Phillips album Pay Pack & Follow, appearing on several tracks alongside Jagger (vocals), Richards (guitar) and Wood (bass) - taking notable solos on the songs "Oh Virginia" and "Zulu Warrior". A possibly apocryphal story is that after Taylor played a particularly jaw-dropping solo in the studio, Richards half-jokingly exclaimed, "That's why I never liked you, you bastard!" "

I saw Mick Taylor with the Bluesbreakers' at the old (closed) Rainbow in Denver in 1985. Great show, + great venue. Also the Stones at Folsom Field in 1978 (Peter Tosh opened); Two shows in 1981, and I think George Thorogood opened.

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Gotta love the bush doctor. Got to see the master twice in 1983 and was looking forward to his "Equal Rights" tour in 1987 when I heard he was murdered. My buddy in Longmont told me about it after leaving a Tull concert (which we taped) in Denver in Sept 1987, what a sorrow filled day to learn we lost him

Archived