Furthur Nye

candy man

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

While I'm certainly not in love with the Civic, I don't share the absolute loathing of it by some here. Although the sound quality can be very bad in some areas (as in virtually all venues), it is quite good in others. I try to get in the dead center about 2/3 of the way back from the stage to the mixing/taping section. I have found the sound to be quite good, and the crowd not too jammed. I tried to get closer, but it is just too damn crowded for my taste beyond about the 1/2 way point to the stage. One remark about NYE: if they have another "parade" at midnight, it can get VERY uncomfortable as they try to make room. Last year it seems to me to be on the verge of things getting dangerously overcrowded as people were packed together like sardines. I'd just as soon see them not do this again. Anyway, the civic is not a great place, but it's not dreadful IMO. Not sure where would be a better place of comparable size. The Fox Oakland is certainly a beautiful venue, but I thought the sound quality was awful the first time Furthur played there.

Those parades are terrible when you've been up front all night and suddenly get crunched and just when all 3 doses are kicking in,ugh.....

Guest crazy digits

While I'm certainly not in love with the Civic, I don't share the absolute loathing of it by some here. Although the sound quality can be very bad in some areas (as in virtually all venues), it is quite good in others. I try to get in the dead center about 2/3 of the way back from the stage to the mixing/taping section. I have found the sound to be quite good, and the crowd not too jammed. I tried to get closer, but it is just too damn crowded for my taste beyond about the 1/2 way point to the stage. One remark about NYE: if they have another "parade" at midnight, it can get VERY uncomfortable as they try to make room. Last year it seems to me to be on the verge of things getting dangerously overcrowded as people were packed together like sardines. I'd just as soon see them not do this again. Anyway, the civic is not a great place, but it's not dreadful IMO. Not sure where would be a better place of comparable size. The Fox Oakland is certainly a beautiful venue, but I thought the sound quality was awful the first time Furthur played there.

I, for one, have a grate love for this place, having seen numerous gd new years runs here...just my 2 cents

I, for one, have a grate love for this place, having seen numerous gd new years runs here...just my 2 cents

I never saw the GD at the Civic on a New Years run. I did see them quite a few times at the Oakland Coliseum. Not sure if Furthur has the draw power to play the Coliseum, but perhaps the MSG run will answer that question. However, II can say with absolutely no hesitation that I would have little if any interest in returning to the Coliseum, but I'm looking forward to the Civic. The capacity is just about perfect for a concert. Big enough to give that intanglble "rock concert power" to the show, but small enough so that you can still feel engaged with what's happening on the stage even if you are in the back. The Fillmore would have really been amazing, but too many would have been unable to get in. The civic ain't a bad place, and is probably the best comprimise for a NYE run.

• Forum MVP

The civic ain't a bad place

Really? I'm guessing we have different ideas about what makes a half decent venue.

Sound quality--really bad.

Character--think Chernobyl.

Ease of getting drinks/water--nightmare unless you have special access.

Floor--a cement hell hole that's as bad on the knees as anything imaginable, and gets filled with beer after the 2nd song. Which means there's a decent chance you're standing in a puddle of (hopefully) beer by the second song.

Balcony--not bad comparatively, but who likes to have to be in the balcony and who likes to wait in line for 3 hours and race humans for balcony seats?

I'm sure if I had only seen Garcia and co. in this place, I would have fond memories as well, but this is a venue our concert going crew and everyone I know in SF, has hated for a long time and for good reason in my opinion.

Randy is correct in that it's really the only place that works for this kind of thing. More importantly, ANYWHERE members of the GD are plugged is a fucking great place because all that really matters is they are still playing somewhere.

And so I really am not complaining (even though it sure may come off that way) as much as calling a spade a spade.

But I'm glad there are people who actually like this place. It's a more positive (less critical) outlook and that's a good thing.

These people live longer.

:)

• Forum MVP

Floor--a cement hell hole that's as bad on the knees as anything imaginable, and gets filled with beer after the 2nd song. Which means there's a decent chance you're standing in a puddle of (hopefully) beer by the second song.

Balcony--not bad comparatively, but who likes to have to be in the balcony and who likes to wait in line for 3 hours and race humans for balcony seats?

Any critique of the Civic starts and ends with the two points above. Well said.

Hard to believe this is the only place (save the rehearsals and the GGPark Fest) that Furthur has played in the Bay Area since their launch at the Fox.

Archived