Furthur Nye

candy man

2 Nights 12/30 +12/31 Bill Gram AUD SF

Where did you hear this? I've been looking around and haven't seen anything officially announced. If this is legit, I'm all over it. I was there last year and the shows were awesome, really blew my mind. The BGCA is great and the scene was spectacular. Just a stellar vibe all the way around.

• Forum MVP

The BGCA is great and the scene was spectacular. Just a stellar vibe all the way around.

I'm glad it was great for you but I can't agree with any of these points.

I also think the scene will even be worse this time around than for Phil's B-day.

The one thing I liked about the B-day thing is that we could get balcony seats ahead of time and not have to wait in line for 3 hours.

The floor in that place is not my idea of a good time.

I'm glad it was great for you but I can't agree with any of these points.

I also think the scene will even be worse this time around than for Phil's B-day.

The one thing I liked about the B-day thing is that we could get balcony seats ahead of time and not have to wait in line for 3 hours.

+1 BGCA sucks big time!

• Forum MVP

One should be paid to spend an evening on that floor under show conditions.

And since I'm not waiting in line all afternoon for the precious few balcony seats that are decent...more room for the rest of you.

One should be paid to spend an evening on that floor under show conditions.

And since I'm not waiting in line all afternoon for the precious few balcony seats that are decent...more room for the rest of you.

I hear that the Fox in Oakland straightened out the sound issues...would love a multiple night run there...I swore off the civic after phils bday show...

Heh, wow, who knew it was such a crappy place to see a show :)?

I guess I didn't experience the issues y'all did with the venue. I was on the floor both nights of the New Years run and again for Phil's 70th and didn't have any problems at all. I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that I was flying solo on all but one of those nights and was able to secure myself a killer spot about 20 ft from the stage dead center all 3 nights. Even still, it seemed like there was plenty of space for me to groove (and I tend to get a little claustrophobic in tight crowds).

I should also note these were my first S.F. shows ever and so that might also have something to do with my divergent point of view ... nevertheless, I'll be there again this year if they're playing.

Heh, wow, who knew it was such a crappy place to see a show :)?

I guess I didn't experience the issues y'all did with the venue. I was on the floor both nights of the New Years run and again for Phil's 70th and didn't have any problems at all. I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that I was flying solo on all but one of those nights and was able to secure myself a killer spot about 20 ft from the stage dead center all 3 nights. Even still, it seemed like there was plenty of space for me to groove (and I tend to get a little claustrophobic in tight crowds).

I should also note these were my first S.F. shows ever and so that might also have something to do with my divergent point of view ... nevertheless, I'll be there again this year if they're playing.

Your not alone...or crazy....there is a many a deadhead that will be thrilled with another new years at the civic....Its always a party!

Your not alone...or crazy....there is a many a deadhead that will be thrilled with another new years at the civic....Its always a party!

Wasn't trying to diminish anybody's experience! It will be packed and folks will have a good time...I just wish there was another venue they could play...Hope you are well Ty!

• Forum MVP

As I remember hearing Bill Graham say in an interview and I believe it was on the old Howard Stern Radio Show that Grateful Dead NYE was one of his favorite times of the year ... so I'm going to assume that being the venue is named after him it may be like he's there in spirit for Bob and Phil ...

The last time I was in that venue was Phil & Friends NYE 2005 ...

Guest Lisacat
.5 nights at the warfield will do!!!!!!

Unfortunately my friend I checked out the schedule and looks like the Warfield is booked by another band NYE. But I don't think it really matters anyway ;-)

Unfortunately my friend I checked out the schedule and looks like the Warfield is booked by another band NYE. But I don't think it really matters anyway ;-)

I guess phil has made his statement with the final 5 shows at the warfield prior to the clear channel overhaul however I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't help himself...I did hear that bobby was in the house for Bob Dylan a few weeks back....The civic is a shithole....but it takes a shithole to allow a party like the previous new years....It is debauchery no doubt...Ive made a mistake in bringing some newbees to there first GD event at the civic before....needless to say they left early....Last year I had the vision of the civic as a giant toilet that they let get puked on and disgraced in every way and then they just spray it down the next day. I've had awesome times there though...

....The civic is a shithole....but it takes a shithole to allow a party like the previous new years........Last year I had the vision of the civic as a giant toilet that they let get puked on and disgraced in every way and then they just spray it down the next day. I've had awesome times there though...

Sounds like just how I want to start my New Year!

:dsorocks:

Peace,

Rob

Guest Lisacat

Sounds like just how I want to start my New Year!

dsorocks.gif

Peace,

Rob

It all depends on how you like to spend your show!

I'd take a shithole with a good DANCE floor ANY day over a beautiful theatre with seats (even if they let you dance in the aisles). The two most important things to me in a venue is 1) dancing room 2) "demographics"/vibe of the crowd....

different things are important to different people...

• Forum MVP

I remember thinking about how much the balcony hung over the floor at the BGCA , it looked to me like it covered the entire floor right up to the stage , maybe somebody slipped me something ... and there were a few people that were out of their freaking minds , but it was NYE ... all in all , NYE in SF hearing live Grateful Dead music is a real good time ...

• Forum MVP

I'd take a shithole with a good DANCE floor ANY day over a beautiful theatre with seats (even if they let you dance in the aisles).

To each his/her own indeed. Yes, a shit hole it is in the highest degree, and tbones has some good imagery going there!

As for dancing space, I'll bet there's plenty but it would be in the back corners of the floor. So if you don't mind bad sound, barely existent sight lines, and the likelihood of nice sticky feet due to the inevitable puddles of beer then maybe this venue could do the job. :lol:

To each his/her own indeed. Yes, a shit hole it is in the highest degree, and tbones has some good imagery going there!

As for dancing space, I'll bet there's plenty but it would be in the back corners of the floor. So if you don't mind bad sound, barely existent sight lines, and the likelihood of nice sticky feet due to the inevitable puddles of beer then maybe this venue could do the job. :lol:

It's official:

http://www.furthur.net/nye2010

While I'm certainly not in love with the Civic, I don't share the absolute loathing of it by some here. Although the sound quality can be very bad in some areas (as in virtually all venues), it is quite good in others. I try to get in the dead center about 2/3 of the way back from the stage to the mixing/taping section. I have found the sound to be quite good, and the crowd not too jammed. I tried to get closer, but it is just too damn crowded for my taste beyond about the 1/2 way point to the stage. One remark about NYE: if they have another "parade" at midnight, it can get VERY uncomfortable as they try to make room. Last year it seems to me to be on the verge of things getting dangerously overcrowded as people were packed together like sardines. I'd just as soon see them not do this again. Anyway, the civic is not a great place, but it's not dreadful IMO. Not sure where would be a better place of comparable size. The Fox Oakland is certainly a beautiful venue, but I thought the sound quality was awful the first time Furthur played there.

Archived