Cliff Lee

bs69

• Forum MVP

no more under dog Phils or Redsox. You buy ur talent just like the evil empire. Lee's incestuous ways fit in better in the city of brotherly love....

Well we can't just let the Yanks take it! Phil's won their ring in 08 with mostly homegrown talent....that success led to the franchise being able to afford a higher bankroll. No complaints here in Philadelphia.

• Forum MVP

no more under dog Phils or Redsox. You buy ur talent just like the evil empire. Lee's incestuous ways fit in better in the city of brotherly love....

No one outbid the evil empire here. Lee thought that what Philly was offering was enough to live on (imagine that!) and said no to making MANY more millions with the Yanks. He left a ton of money on that table. You have to admit...don't see that every day.

I think most people who love baseball breathed a sigh of relief last year, when the Yanks somehow didn't get Lee. Didn't we all assume they would, as with everyone else? I think most were shocked when that deal didn't go down and he went to Texas. Personally, I think it was good for baseball that they didn't get him--evened things out a bit and made it more fair. Of course baseball is never going to be fair but it made it so it wasn't a forgone conclusion that NY would win the thing again. And lo and behold...look what happened.

We already have reality television where everything is supposed to be real but it's not.

Sports has always been genuine reality televsion where ANYTHING really can happen.

I think most people who aren't Yankees fans were glad NY didn't get Lee, which may be stating the obvious, but that's never stopped me before, so why now?

You don't often see money not get it done in the world of sports (or any world for that matter).

This was a shocker.

• Forum MVP

No one outbid the evil empire here. Lee thought that what Philly was offering was enough to live on (imagine that!) and said no to making MANY more millions with the Yanks. He left a ton of money on that table. You have to admit...don't see that every day.

I think most people who love baseball breathed a sigh of relief last year, when the Yanks somehow didn't get Lee. Didn't we all assume they would, as with everyone else? I think most were shocked when that deal didn't go down and he went to Texas. Personally, I think it was good for baseball that they didn't get him--evened things out a bit and made it more fair. Of course baseball is never going to be fair but it made it so it wasn't a forgon conclusion that NY would win the thing again. And lo and behold...look what happened!

We already have reality television where everything is supposed to be real but it's not.

Sports has always been genuine reality televsion where ANYTHING really can happen.

Therefore, I think most people who aren't Yankees fans were glad NY didn't get Lee, which may be stating the obvious, but that's never stopped me before, so why now?

You don't often see money not get it done in the world of sports (or any world for that matter).

This was a shocker.

i actually agree. i wanted Lee as a yankee fan and commend him for taking less. My point is that there are now two other teams with payroll in the mid 100's, who bought free agents just like the yankees do. See Oswald, Lee, Holliday.

I am anti-Phillie as a city, think its a pit of hell- dates back from spending time in the Burgh as a child, Spectrum shows and the fact that i went to college with an enormous amount of Phillie idiots. I root passionately for whoever Phillie is playing... in any sport.

• Forum MVP

i actually agree. i wanted Lee as a yankee fan and commend him for taking less. My point is that there are now two other teams with payroll in the mid 100's, who bought free agents just like the yankees do. See Oswald, Lee, Holliday.

I am anti-Phillie as a city, think its a pit of hell- dates back from spending time in the Burgh as a child, Spectrum shows and the fact that i went to college with an enormous amount of Phillie idiots. I root passionately for whoever Phillie is playing... in any sport.

You're right, Philly is now one of several teams in the 100mil+ club, a list that in 2010 included the angles, white sox, tigers, phillies, mets, cubs, and red sox. The yankees actually didn't make into that club but instead elevated themselves to 200mil+. And as far as Philly(and no, it's not 'phillie') being a pit of hell....well I don't know what to say about that but maybe next time your there I can show you the good parts. :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Archived