West Coast Tour

Guest L~Cat

Guest jazz-man

I have decided to bring my 8-year-old son Crosby with me to the show. He said he'd be into it and likes a lot of their songs. we plan on being there early so we can be on the rail. He's tall for his age but not tall enough to see over the crowd. Here he is a year and a half ago

So if you see a super blonde boy that's my son! Not sure how the night will go, no party favors for me and I'm unsure how long he will last or want to be there. It's all a mystery but with my boy by my side it'll be an awesome night.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Not sure how the night will go and I'm unsure how long he will last or want to be there. It's all a mystery but with my boy by my side it'll be an awesome night.

My prediction is: "What??? Its over already? Can we go again tomorrow?"

My kids (14. 12 & 7) are all upset that DSO plays 21+ shows here in Seattle. They definitely want to go when the band is in town.

• Forum MVP

My prediction is: "What??? Its over already? Can we go again tomorrow?"

My kids (14. 12 & 7) are all upset that DSO plays 21+ shows here in Seattle. They definitely want to go when the band is in town.

I would imagine you would be correct. The music, the scene, and the individuals that attend these concerts are contagious and viral. It grows on you and its hard to get enough.

• Forum MVP

I bought a bunch of Neal Cassady audio stuff from him years ago, and he threw in the cleanest copy of SSDD (8/27/72) I've ever seen.

But I can believe what you're saying pretty easily.

Still waiting for the release of SSDD (25 plus years now).

And Mr. Vegas claims the new footage has the Sing Me Back Home! (they showed it before some DSO show a little while back out East I think).

they showed the bird song after a show up in amhurst a few years back ,they did the close encounters show from early 78 ,one of my favorite jk shows of all time.to watch the bird song on a big screen after an amazing dso show which mountain girl came out during the other one jam and read a poem it was great,during the film everyone just sat there in silance staring ,

• Forum MVP

I bought a bunch of Neal Cassady audio stuff from him years ago, and he threw in the cleanest copy of SSDD (8/27/72) I've ever seen.

But I can believe what you're saying pretty easily.

Still waiting for the release of SSDD (25 plus years now).

And Mr. Vegas claims the new footage has the Sing Me Back Home! (they showed it before some DSO show a little while back out East I think).

A copy came around about 2 years ago that's as clean as the 16mm masters. Stunning shots of the dirt under Garcia's fingernails as he unleashes the Dark Star. At points though there is the dreaded psychedelic visuals in place of the actual footage. It's not indexed, and there's no Sing Me Back Home!

they showed the bird song after a show up in amhurst a few years back ,they did the close encounters show from early 78 ,one of my favorite jk shows of all time.to watch the bird song on a big screen after an amazing dso show which mountain girl came out during the other one jam and read a poem it was great,during the film everyone just sat there in silance staring ,

steve...didnt they play the sing me back home footage too. I remember it somehow....I met the guy that taped all the footage and he acted like the new vid was too be released any day ( 3 years ago). Anyway we are ready.....Im fresh back from a blistering close encounters 78 dance off in the cruz....what a show. Big system sure brings it to life. One spectacular time @ the 418!

Guest Lisacat

steve...didnt they play the sing me back home footage too. I remember it somehow....I met the guy that taped all the footage and he acted like the new vid was too be released any day ( 3 years ago). Anyway we are ready.....Im fresh back from a blistering close encounters 78 dance off in the cruz....what a show. Big system sure brings it to life. One spectacular time @ the 418!

I definitely remember the sing me back home too.

Wow Ty- many worlds we've come.

Missed you all the other night....would have loved a spin at the 418 but alas work gets in the way.

Guest Lisacat

I swear it was only bird song but I m much older then you lisa and the mind just isn t as sharp

I probably shouldn't have said definitely but for some reason I remember being in the lobby and hearing it and coming back in.

But as far as your mind being sharp, I'd bet yours is sharper than mine when it comes to shows ;-)

• Forum MVP

I probably shouldn't have said definitely but for some reason I remember being in the lobby and hearing it and coming back in.

But as far as your mind being sharp, I'd bet yours is sharper than mine when it comes to shows ;-)

Maybe Mr Vegas can weigh in on this? My initial bewilderment about being told the Sing Me Back Home was in the new footage was because I had always thought the reason it wasn't in SSDD in the first place was due to the band being in darkness by that point in the show (there were no lights and the show went on a bit longer than anticipated).

But, as far as I recall, Chuck was the one who responded to my skepticism saying that the Sing Me was indeed shown and that it was not in darkness.

There was an East coast preview of SSDD with supposed new footage included. I think it was shown in two theatres in preparation for the national release, but I haven't heard anyone talk about the Sing Me being in the new footage. Not many people were surprised nothing came of the release because that's been the story with that glorious footage from the beginning. There have been MANY rumors/reasons as to why, from some in the band not wanting it out because their guitars were out of tune from the stifling heat to legal disputes between the pranksters and the band to the intrinsic burtness of the pranksters in general to a hundred others.

This actually is a big deal to me because of the emotion involved in that version of that song. The guitar solo, in and of itself, is maybe the most emotional guitar solo ever performed in public. As far as the vocals...well, I don't believe they can be described in mere words. Even without the Sing Me, it's the most important GD Video we have. Not only is it a singular concert in that band's history but it has some truly remarkable moments on film, the power of which have never quite been approached before or since. On the cataclysmic Dark Star for example, that starts what's now known as the 'death set' (Star>Paso>Sing Me) and how it begins with that lone bark of a dog in combination with Garcia's expression of genuine trance (to be so locked into music like that looks scary), to the camera catching Phil's smile of utter and sublime satisfaction as they briefly dip into the "Feeling Groovy" jam, to the camera zooming in on Garcia's hands as he's playing the "Tiger Jam," finally showing humankind how he played this wonderous meltdown riff (this stuff NEVER happens in Vids). It was that kind of day back then so it shouldn't be that surprising that some of the film captured some of these celestial moments.

So, we are just thankful we have it but I really need to know if the Sing Me Back Home is on some reel somewhere, so I am asking Chuck to search his memory banks.

If Mr. Vegas' brain can't do it then nobody's brain can.

Guest Lisacat

So, we are just thankful we have it but I really need to know if the Sing Me Back Home is on some reel somewhere, so I am asking Chuck to search his memory banks.

If Mr. Vegas' brain can't do it then nobody's brain can.

well it was the end of the "year of bliss"....I wouldn't place any bets wink.gif

this conversation about that tour brings back sooo many damn memories....it was formative in so many ways and man have things changed and people evolved since then.....

• Forum MVP

well it was the end of the "year of bliss"....I wouldn't place any bets wink.gif

this conversation about that tour brings back sooo many damn memories....it was formative in so many ways and man have things changed and people evolved since then.....

If Chucks mind is as sharp as I think it is, year of bliss or not, he remembers. I, of course, could be wrong about the sharpness of said mind.

Guest Lisacat

If Chucks mind is as sharp as I think it is, year of bliss or not, he remembers. I, of course, could be wrong about the sharpness of said mind.

selective is a good word.....

but

if he says he remembers it

and Ty remembers it

and I'm almost certain I remember it

It probably was included.

I (yes I know its shocking) was sober at that show too so I actually trust my own memory.

• Forum MVP

I brought up under reviews the amhurst show and yes sing me back home was shown .go to the reviews and read some of the stuff ,pretty cool conversations over on that thread plus someone posted some utube stuff w/ mountain girl ,one of my favorite dso shows of all time

• Forum MVP

What in gods name are you people talking about !!

Well I know what I am talking about... im talking about history....

Teacher Honda Civic today passed into greatness with the eclipsing of 200,000 miles !!!

Congrats! On behalf of myself and hopefully others who have had the distinction of riding in it, I ask if you recorded the magic moment? It is a true part of DSO lore.

• Forum MVP

Many of the 200,000 miles are recorded in my mind... and many are lost in that same mind ... :wacko::blink:

I do have a photo shoot lined up with TMZ later today... not for me but the car.... :blink::wacko:

quote name='chuckvegas' date='19 January 2011 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1295471505' post='107279']

Congrats! On behalf of myself and hopefully others who have had the distinction of riding in it, I ask if you recorded the magic moment? It is a true part of DSO lore.

Guest jazz-man

Ticketmaster is handling the Crystal Ballroom tickets, grrrr. $25 ticket with $8 tacked on, that's 1/3 of the value of the ticket! I'm going to try to get the tix via the Crystal box office and I'm not complaining too much (hell, I get to see DSO again, how bad can it be?) but I dislike Ticketmaster.

• Forum MVP

Ticketmaster is handling the Crystal Ballroom tickets, grrrr. $25 ticket with $8 tacked on, that's 1/3 of the value of the ticket! I'm going to try to get the tix via the Crystal box office and I'm not complaining too much (hell, I get to see DSO again, how bad can it be?) but I dislike Ticketmaster.

To quote one of my favorite people, "That's fucking bullshit, Mommy!"

Archived