Jam Cruise Raid

Dstone5553

[url=http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/fl-cruise-ship-raid-brf-20110107,0,4516307.story]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/fl-cruise-ship-raid-brf-20110107,0,4516307.story

[/url

OMG that is absolutly ridiculous. What kind of a law enforcment angency thinks that spending our tax dollars to arrest peolpe that are just trying to have a good time and clearly not bothering anyone is a good idea?

How ridiculous is this?

"...in mostly small quantities"

Sickening that government spends money and energy doing something like this.

Guest crazy digits

Looking at the bigger picture > its a sad day when Jam Cruise doesn't have all their ducks in a row to have prevented it from happening.. scary!!!

• Forum MVP

Things like this are going to become more and more common. Has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with increasing Gov't revenue when budgets are being cut. The court costs, bail, and cost of the penalties/tickets is what this was all about. As a commenter noted on the news article : "Fish = Barrel". They have always known what was going on on those Jam Cruise ships, they just waited until they needed to justify increasing revenue to pull the bust.

All minor offenses, all should be settled quite quickly with little court time and people just paying fines.

As far as the Gov't is concerned.................... 147717x480.jpg

• Forum MVP

Sounds like another instance of unlawful search and siezures being carried out by the U.S. government. Our tax dollars are hard at work. Something tells me this isn't what you thought you were paying for when they took 40% of pay check.

• Forum MVP

Honestly, I wondered last year how people were able to get supplies while on the cruise--which they obviously did. When you are passing through US Customs, and there are doggies around, you can't really bring anything with you, so I have to put the onus on the people who got busted for not using their noggins. But I do know that there was plenty available on the high seas last year, so it must have come in somehow. And the musicians equipment is doubly scrutinized, so that was not the way in. Hmmm.

• Forum MVP

Looking at the bigger picture > its a sad day when Jam Cruise doesn't have all their ducks in a row to have prevented it from happening.. scary!!!

There may have been nothing they could do. Raids happen at all the major festivals, especially after they've been around for a while. It was only a matter of time before a crackdown on jam cruise would happen. I would say this was rather small and used primarily as a warning - a scare tactic. I would bet they could've made more arrests if they did a more extensive or longer search. This is really unfortunate. I've never been on jam cruise and unfortunately, now I don't think I will ever go. This is just the begining of the crack down.

There may have been nothing they could do. Raids happen at all the major festivals, especially after they've been around for a while. It was only a matter of time before a crackdown on jam cruise would happen. I would say this was rather small and used primarily as a warning - a scare tactic. I would bet they could've made more arrests if they did a more extensive or longer search. This is really unfortunate. I've never been on jam cruise and unfortunately, now I don't think I will ever go. This is just the begining of the crack down.

Just a thought .....But didn't the crackdown on our scene hit high gear in around 1988?

They fine tuned it to an art by the start of the 90's & after '95 had to branch out into other musical taste( It must have been like fishin' in a barrell !)

Who remembers the police state Long Island became @ Dead shows?

In any event once they enjoy success @ something....They ain't gonna forget it , because the musicians change!

As was said by a few others.....A little common sense goes a long way ....If your trying to keep outta trouble!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Just a thought .....But didn't the crackdown on our scene hit high gear in around 1988?

They fine tuned it to an art by the start of the 90's & after '95 had to branch out into other musical taste( It must have been like fishin' in a barrell !)

Who remembers the police state Long Island became @ Dead shows?

In any event once they enjoy success @ something....They ain't gonna forget it , because the musicians change!

As was said by a few others.....A little common sense goes a long way ....If your trying to keep outta trouble!

Peace,

Rob

Thanks Rob. A little common sense tells me to avoid big time party events like Jam Cruise and other major festivals. If I go to bigger music shows lik Furthur or Phish, I don't travel with any trouble. However, I've already made enough trouble and displayed enough lack of common sense for the rest of us. I wasn't there in 88 or the 90s, but I have heard stories and profiling hippies is easy money for these guys. No problem if their wrong, but 95% of the time their hunch will be right. I wish they would stop pretending that consenting adults need their help or permission to do something, but I also know that there isn't much hope for change. It will probably get worst like making masturbation illegal.

Thanks for the advice Rob and I see your point. I still don't have to like it.

Peace

Guest jazz-man

If they make masturbation illegal...I get the top bunk!

Sad that this kinda thing is called law enforcement. You mean in FL the cops couldn't find a coke bust and they had to go after people with "mostly small quantities" of pot? Just decriminalize the fucker already and quit wasting everyone's time and money! Even the preacher on the 700 Club (fer Chrissakes) says we ought to stop busting people for small amouts of pot. What a waste of resources.

What was the cop's just cause to search the boat? "Judge we got a boat full of hippies..."

Guest crazy digits

If they make masturbation illegal...I get the top bunk!

Sad that this kinda thing is called law enforcement. You mean in FL the cops couldn't find a coke bust and they had to go after people with "mostly small quantities" of pot? Just decriminalize the fucker already and quit wasting everyone's time and money! Even the preacher on the 700 Club (fer Chrissakes) says we ought to stop busting people for small amouts of pot. What a waste of resources.

What was the cop's just cause to search the boat? "Judge we got a boat full of hippies..."

PLEASE don't put me on the bottom bunk.

seriously, the crackdown has gone on for YEARS! Don't fool yourself. Was anyone at Richmond 85? HELLO!!!

BTW Rick, this HAS happened on JAM CRUISE before. I blame it on JAM CRUISE and no one else..They make a shit ton of money on this gig and should have lined a wallet or two....please!

• Forum MVP

PLEASE don't put me on the bottom bunk.

seriously, the crackdown has gone on for YEARS! Don't fool yourself. Was anyone at Richmond 85? HELLO!!!

BTW Rick, this HAS happened on JAM CRUISE before. I blame it on JAM CRUISE and no one else..They make a shit ton of money on this gig and should have lined a wallet or two....please!

The war on drugs has been going for quite some time now. Almost every president since Nixon has intensified the fight. I bet jam cruise did line some pockets. Just the wrong ones. Either way they paid for what happen with the tremendous tax revenue they generate. If you think pockets need to be lined, you think the behavior of those on board jam cruise is wrong. I don't.

BTW, I know about 05. Same old story. I think someone else said it. Fish in barrel.

• Advisory Board

Bix, how in the hell can you blame JamCruise for the busts?? That's just stupidity in my opinion... JamCruise can not tell the FEDS to not come and search their guests... From what I've heard, the Federal agencies that were in the raid were watching JamCruise's forums... Blame it on the morons who think Big Brother isn't watching.. I mean, they have threads on their forums that tell the "Newbs" how to bring on their stuff and whatnot... I'm sure some Federal Asshat was just sitting at his desk, reading the do's and don'ts of bringing your supplies onto the boat... Posting anything like that on a public forum is just stupid period!!

It was bound to happen I think.. The main reason for JC to leave from Ft. Lauderdale, and not Miami or Jacksonville is because of the lack of security getting on the boats there... Jacksonville and Miami have about 20-30 cruise ships leaving their ports on a daily basis, when Ft Lauderdale has about 200-300 leaving per day... JC3 left from Jacksonville and had a major problem with the JC guests being arrested, and I believe they left from Miami once, with the same problem. Every cruise ship I've ever vacationed on (3 JamCruises, and 5 other vacation cruises) has left from Ft. lauderdale and never have I seen dogs or any problems getting onto the ship.... getting off is a different story, everywhere...

Personally I would think that the goverment would not have a problem with people LEAVING the country with any sort of contraband.. I totally understand them searching when the boat comes back to port and the passengers disembark, but leaving the country? I don't get it...

Fuck the FEDS... assholes!!

Fuck the FEDS... assholes!!

This is just one persons opinion, but making an incendiary blanket statement such as this in the current climate is not real smart...

It's easy to bash Federal Law Enforcement but the truth of course is way more complicated..

Also as someone who works for the Federal Government..such catch phases enforce strerotypes that simply are untrue..It's intellectually lazy..

The Irony is I agree that searching the Jam Cruise Boat was over the top...

• Forum MVP

The blame game.

Always a fun one to play.

Do we blame the legislatures for making the laws?

Do we blame the people for not electing those that would change the laws?

Do we blame the Supreme Court that has allowed the executive to increase their search and siezure powers, despite the 4th amendment?

Do we blame the people who knowingly and willingly violated the law by having contraband on their person?

Do we blame those enforcing the laws for doing their job? (Although, I always thought it was serve and protect; not harass and prohibit.)

I, for one, take a collective approach and blame the people for allowing the legislature to legislate away are freedom and the judiciary to ignore the Constitution in their rulings, but many would take the individual approach and therefore, those who were arrested were arrested because of their own doing and nobody elses. From the individualist or collectivist perspective, it is very hard to blame the agents who made the arrests. They were simply following orders and enforcing the law. In other words, they were doing their job. The exact job we pay them with our tax dollars to do. Despite believing that it the current state of affairs are all of our faults - only way to look at it in a Republic - one must never forget to accept the consequences for one's actions and they knew the possibility existed for them to end up in some form of legal trouble by possessing substances declared illegal by federal and state governments - our governments.

All in all, does it really matter. Every festival has these stories at one point or another. Those 15 will either stay free and probably do this again or they will be replaced by 15 others who have a love of music and partying that would take their place on board the lovely jam cruise.

• Forum MVP

Damn Obama chasing after a few hippies.... :wacko:

quote name='rickE' date='08 January 2011 - 06:24 PM' timestamp='1294529099' post='106949']

Sounds like another instance of unlawful search and siezures being carried out by the U.S. government. Our tax dollars are hard at work. Something tells me this isn't what you thought you were paying for when they took 40% of pay check.

• Forum MVP

Damn Obama chasing after a few hippies.... :wacko:

quote name='rickE' date='08 January 2011 - 06:24 PM' timestamp='1294529099' post='106949']

Gotta pay for your tax refund Matt...

Archived