4/29/11 Irving Plaza

Evangeline

• Forum MVP

And they are off, Ladies and Gentlemen! Although Irving Plaza is not my favorite venue, it was a fantastic show to kick off the Into the Sun tour. Already announced, this set list did not disappoint.

SET 1:

Truckin', Bertha, Hurts Me too, Cumberland> Me & My Uncle, Bird Song, PITB, Loser, Dark Hollow, Hard to Handle, Ripple, Me & Bobby McGee, Casey Jones

SET 2:

Morning Dew, Minglewood, Sugar Magnolia, Black Peter, BIODTL, I Second that Emotion, Alligator> Drumz> Jam> GDTRFB> Cold Rain & Snow, China> Rider, Greatest Story (pump song)> Johnny B. Goode

E: UJB, Midnight Hour> Bid You Goodnight

Big, big fun!!! A rocking and rollicking show. :icon14:

• Forum MVP

I had a really good time last night. Space was tight, as expected, but fortunately dso fam came through and elevated me the slightly less crowed upstairs. For me the show really picked up at cumberland and didn't let go.

new york people are so obnoxious. shut up and dance :o

• Forum MVP

Loved the arrangement of the old school Minglewood which is not a fav of mine....but last nights version was really cool as was the GSET.You don't get to hear that early interpretation of those 2 very often. Barraco's Midnight hour was prolly the highlight of the show for me.It was just sickness. I was about to tap out before that.....we were all pretty much spent.

It was an amazing show that got off to a weird start with the Truckin' being aborted almost 2 minutes in.Of course during the Peter it wasn't very quiet to say the least, but I tried not to let it annoy me.....Jeffrey nailed it. That dude is just one helluva musician!.I've said it before and I'll say it again.....DSO got the better of the trade. Kevin is animated, having fun, and kicking some serious ass.....I've seen DSO since 2003 and have never seen him play better than how he's playing now .....even on a loaner bass. Dino's drumming was superb last night !

The Mets have one 6 out of 7 beating up on the hapless Nat's and such.... so I guess Eaton thought it was a good time to resurrect his Reyes jersey :) He's on his walk year, and is playing for a contract, so you know Reyes is bound for a good year, if he doesn't get hurt of course. He's 2-24 with RISP however. Lets see how the Mets do as they hit a real tough part of their schedule the next month and a half.

That show last night was just a great Rock n Roll concert. DSO is in a excellent place right now.....and its full steam ahead. Now its time to do it all over again tonight. See ya on the playground freaks. Peace.

Amazing night! Never seen this band in such form. I couldn't possibly describe what I saw last night. I was speechless after that show, I couldn't even speak. The truly captured the feel and vibe of 1971 it was amazing. Seeing songs played in their embryonic stage was amazing, PITB and GSET while delivering an amazing show. The St.Stephen tease durring the second set I cant remember which song but it was pure joy!

"Kevin is animated, having fun, and kicking some serious ass.....I've seen DSO since 2002 and have never seen him play better than how he's playing now .....even on a loaner bass."

It was my pleasure to jump in the car and grab this Bass from Skip and get it to the bus so it could be set on fire like Kevin did! It was well worth the trip Thanks for the opportunity Rob and thank you all DSO for the the Reward @ Irving Plaza! I wouldn't have been there with out your generousity!

See ya at the Mighty High!!

Alex

• Forum MVP

For me the show really picked up at cumberland and didn't let go.

Definitely! Cumberland was smokin. Barraco did Pigpen so good all night. Good start to the tour (besides the stumble and fall on truckin) and the band is in fine form.

i agree! i agree! i agree! awesome show! awesome folks (minus the drunks)! awesome night all around!! i considered this show the start to my summer and if it's any indication of what my summer holds in store for me, it's going to be one helluva time!! glad everyone had a fantastic night!! see you at the next show :)

• Forum MVP

as was the GSET.You don't get to hear that early interpretation of those 2 very often.

The '71 Greatest Story is sung in a more melodic way by Weir. Personally, I really love it. The song became much more muscular but it lost some of the beauty...some of the sweetness.

I was wondering if Eaton was going to sing it the way Weir did in '71. I'm assuming by your comment that he did.

Pretty cool.

The Mets have won 6 out of 7?

• Forum MVP

The '71 Greatest Story is sung in a more melodic way by Weir. Personally, I love the it. The song became much more muscular but it lost some of the beauty...some of the sweetness.

I was wondering if Eaton was going to sing it the way Weir did in '71. I'm assuming by you comment that he did.

Pretty cool.

The Mets have won 6 out of 7?

Well, they did, but the Philies are kicking their asses in

• Forum MVP

Tread softly there son. Too many times the mighty fall!!!!! Lets go Mets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: ok I'll keep the shit talk down but only because you play keys in my favorite band. That being said, I'm rocking the Phillies shirt to New Haven tonight :lol:

• Forum MVP

:rofl: ok I'll keep the shit talk down but only because you play keys in my favorite band. That being said, I'm rocking the Phillies shirt to New Haven tonight :lol:

I will not stop the shit talking. The Mets don't stand a chance tonight or in the East. Its all about the Phillies.

• Forum MVP

Nothing , I mean nothing, is won on paper....

all except LSD

I will not stop the shit talking. The Mets don't stand a chance tonight or in the East. Its all about the Phillies.

Oh, by the way METSSSSS WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

all except LSD

Oh, by the way METSSSSS WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched every inning. It was painful to watch the phillies waste a gem from Cliff. We still take the East, but I must tip my cap and except the consequences of my hubris and the words that came out of my mouth due to it. Good game Mets.

WOW is probably all I can say about the show cuz my jaw has dropped to the floor in awe. It had been a while since hearing the gang and they really rocked out the night. The wierd restart of Truckin an oddity but I think it might have been due to the sound system because it sounded better the second run...besides, people were wierded out during the first... I was like, hello-this is Truckin! But there was very little dance room which was the biggest draw back to the night...that and the fact that everyone seemed to be walking around a lot in the small venue. I think there were many who liked some dead songs but wandered in boredom during songs like Black Peter. Irving Plaza is a legendary place and I remember dancing to bands like Leftoever Salmon in days gone by...but it is not the best place to see DSO. DSO, me thinks, needs to start realizing that their crowds are larger, they are becoming ever more popular and their fans love dancing...so you all need to start playing bigger venues. I have been following DSO for quite a while now, up and down the east coast, and I have seen their popularity grow...It may be time to step up to the bigger plate and rock larger concert halls and stadiums!

I love DSO so much, they are so awesome...Jeff is the best, Barraco rocks those keyboards (and bass, if you have ever been lucky enough to catch one of those shows), and Eaton is awesome and Lisa...well you are just one groovy person and I always miss you during those shows when you only come out for the encore(s). Well, there you go, a few things went wrong in Irving Plaza...I am not sure what happened to St. Stephens because I heard its music but I am not sure if that was a tease that occurred in the original set by the Grateful Dead or if they just decided to skip it, tease us with it? Hmmmm. No matter. because it was an incredible rocking show with great songs and long encores.

Lay down, by dear brother, lay down and take your rest. I want you to lay your head, upon your savior's breast, because I love you but Jesus will love you the best, and we bid you goodnight, goodnight, gooood Niiiiight!

• Forum MVP

WOW is probably all I can say about the show cuz my jaw has dropped to the floor in awe. It had been a while since hearing the gang and they really rocked out the night. The wierd restart of Truckin an oddity but I think it might have been due to the sound system because it sounded better the second run...besides, people were wierded out during the first... I was like, hello-this is Truckin! But there was very little dance room which was the biggest draw back to the night...that and the fact that everyone seemed to be walking around a lot in the small venue. I think there were many who liked some dead songs but wandered in boredom during songs like Black Peter. Irving Plaza is a legendary place and I remember dancing to bands like Leftoever Salmon in days gone by...but it is not the best place to see DSO. DSO, me thinks, needs to start realizing that their crowds are larger, they are becoming ever more popular and their fans love dancing...so you all need to start playing bigger venues. I have been following DSO for quite a while now, up and down the east coast, and I have seen their popularity grow...It may be time to step up to the bigger plate and rock larger concert halls and stadiums!

I love DSO so much, they are so awesome...Jeff is the best, Barraco rocks those keyboards (and bass, if you have ever been lucky enough to catch one of those shows), and Eaton is awesome and Lisa...well you are just one groovy person and I always miss you during those shows when you only come out for the encore(s). Well, there you go, a few things went wrong in Irving Plaza...I am not sure what happened to St. Stephens because I heard its music but I am not sure if that was a tease that occurred in the original set by the Grateful Dead or if they just decided to skip it, tease us with it? Hmmmm. No matter. because it was an incredible rocking show with great songs and long encores.

Lay down, by dear brother, lay down and take your rest. I want you to lay your head, upon your savior's breast, because I love you but Jesus will love you the best, and we bid you goodnight, goodnight, gooood Niiiiight!

did you hear the saint tease in hard to handle becouse I thought I heard it then yesterday around lunch time siruis was playing 4-26-71 and the hard to handle had a stephen tease in it

did you hear the saint tease in hard to handle becouse I thought I heard it then yesterday around lunch time siruis was playing 4-26-71 and the hard to handle had a stephen tease in it

Yes! Glad someone else noticed that well kinda hard to but that moment was simply amazing! :dsorocks:

Archived