Jerry Garcia Band

sakada

as it does not happen all that frequently around here, let's talk Jerry Garcia Band for a moment...

what's your favorite era/songs ???

i'm kinda partial to '76 - '78 with Keith & Donna...Let Me Roll It, Mighty High, Who Was John, Moonlight Mile, that kinda stuff...'78 got interesting when Maria Mauldar joined, too...her voice added such a depth to the overall vocal sound...the Lonesome & Long Way jams during that time pretty heavy duty, too...

with that said, i'd also interject that the Nov. 93 east coast tour had Jer's Spirit truly shining thru, as well...almost every song had that extra WWHHHOOOOOAAA factor to it...

anyhow, floor's open...

oh, & one more thing of note regarding this...it seemed when Brent died {and probably even somewhat before}, Jerry was more than ready to hang up the Grateful Dead and do his own thing with JGB, but the weight of the world {a.k.a. the GD family with mortgages & living fairly high on the cash cow of GD,etc.} was more than squarely on his shoulders to continue the wheels of the GD machine turning...

78 is my personal favorite, because of Donna/Maria and most importantly to me, John Kahn was on fire back then! I've definitely tailored my sound and playing to match his 77-78 style. It's hard to pick though, because I love Merl and Melvin too!

Least favorite for me are the Nicky Hopkins months. JGB was a groove band, not a freaking Rachmoninoff concert.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

For consistent listening pleasure my go-to is the Pure Jerry 10-87 Lundt-Fontanne release. The playing is so strong and the quality of the recording is impeccable, as you'd expect.

Nothing wrong with '77-'78 either. The set lists were bliss from beginning to end.

as much as I love Melvin Seals contributions, I have to say that 76-78 is my favorite (I'm just speaking of actual JGB here....love the Jerry/Merl stuff from earlier).

love 76 for its slowness and drippy-ness recently heard some early 76 stuff at a couple of the SC dances as filler- moonlight mile, talkin bout you, how sweet it is, second that emotion, strange man....can't remember all of it. Of course I think the 5/21 release album- don't let go is one of the best.

I have a couple shows from 77 which I love...7-23 is one of them. Need to go through my hard-drive again and find some more. most of the files need to be converted.

and maria muldaur, enough said. Let me roll it.

Archived