Truckin

Nobodys Fault Jam

Other One

Eyes

China Doll

Sugar Mag

Saturday Night

Casey Jones

They might have played a filler. I don't know. My ride was leaving. Seems doubtful. They gave plenty.

From 3-22-73 Utica Ny

• Forum MVP

A great offering from the honey year of 1973! That 1st set looks like a freakin marathon - hydration was likely the order of the day! JM kills those old school China>Riders and version 1.0 Eyes - China Doll is always a treat! Happy for the D-Town attendees - Michiganders love their DSO. Awaiting the Southeastern swing.....

I couldn't exactly hear what Rob said to start, but it was something like, We gotta get moving cause we got a lot of songs to fill in.

It's not like they cut any corners either. Bird Song, China-Ryder, Playin, Here Comes Sunshine, Nobodys Fault jam/Other One/ Eyes were treated with love and respect, and given plenty of time to stretch out. I got lost in that bird song. So good. I am an Eyes junkie, and this one was everything I could have hoped for.

Box of Rain with Rob on Vocals was awesome. He sings it great and the bands backing vocals were just beautiful. Lisa blew out You Ain't Woman Enough, but you guys already knew that when you saw it on the setlist.

I'm relieved to see I didn't miss anything. I had to go. I promised my niece (15, she tried, but she's just not into it) when Sugar Mag started that she could leave in two songs as I just couldn't see them playing anymore. I was just glad they didn't make me leave earlier as I felt they may just leave, lol. I knew the risks going in, but hey, I got to have some beers and that ride before the show sounded great. Somewhere during the 2nd set I started to think, I wonder how much a cab ride is from this place? I actually think she had a fun time, it just went to long for her. She knew ahead of time though, so thats why I think she didn't push the issue.

Tea for Texas, your right. hydration was the key, and I failed. I'm paying for it right now. It hurts to type this. I probably only had 6 beers, but my body is so angry at me.

Anyway, I don't know the gate, but it was more packed than last year. For the most part it was a good crowd. There were some loud talkers here and there but it never interfered for long with the show.

I'm not much of a dancer. More of a bouncer. Not last night. I was so happy and the music was moving me more than usual. Plus there was a young guy near me who tearing it up out there. I think I danced more just cause of him. I stole some of his moves. I'm gonna steal some more.

Great show. It had been since Gratefulfest for me. Somehow I had forgotten how great they are.

this is the era that I first fell in love with...particularly the march 73 shows....

regarding the china>rider- I know this has been discussed on the boards before. Its actually the feelin groovy jam, not mind left body jam. And the reason why 73 china>riders are my favorite. Though my favorite spot for the feeling groovy jam is within a dark star....mmmm.

http://deadessays.bl...matic-jams.html

Thanks for the info. I think Dicks Picks 12 from 74 calls it Mind Left or Mud Love, I don't remember. I wan't really sure, but I know that when it gets played, in my opinion it needs to be labeled because it is an important event!!

according to the link attached - dicks picks 12 does have a mind left body jam but it is part of the WRS, not China>Rider.

The first time Feelin' Groovy entered the China>Rider transition was on 3/16/73; and there it would stay over the next two years, with many exciting versions as it became increasingly jammed-out - a couple examples would be the Dick's Picks of 6/26/74 and 8/5/74. One unique variation happens in the 3/31/73 show - after toying with the Spanish Jam in the Other One, out of the Other One space they suddenly shift into Feelin' Groovy, and from there head naturally into Rider without bothering with the China Cat:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-03-31.sbd.yerys.2237.sbeok.shnf

After 1974, Feelin' Groovy mysteriously disappeared.

I sure am no expert though.... hey David?

Archived