travel thoughts

michelle

Hey now ~

Hope you have tons of fun in Jamaica!  Not sure if you've been there before. Beautiful place... different smell... excellent fresh fruit... locals may want to "braid ya hair." Here are a few thoughts….

If you go to a market/flea market type place, they'll try to sell you anything (remember, tourism is the main source of income… but it may be different, depending on the region… I stayed in a town where the cruise ships dock, Ocho Rios). Be cautious not to take things in hand as some will try to force the purchase once you've touched the merchandise. You'll probably see military type folks all over the place, holding machine guns.  Don't worry. They're there for your protection. They, as well as the locals, know everyone's business... and whitey stands out like a sore thumb lol. They'll know if you're trying to buy, who you hang with, etc.  So, mind your pee's and que's.  I wouldn’t ‘buy’ at the airport, nor from the taxi driver. Even if you’re on the street and someone makes it seem like it’s acceptable or all cool… be cautious. Don’t let it be seen in public. Discretion is key… and a little patience. Seems like someone at the hotel will warm up to you/concierge.  Also, they have folks on the beaches that will help you get what you want whether it be snorkeling, a trip to the mountains, etc.  They’re sort of a tourist concierge  approved by the officials. Be courteous… no matter what you’re asking for … tempered with street smarts.       

I went to Ocho Rios for a couple of weeks. Brownest I’ve ever been. Ahh I miss those topless beaches.   Not that the locals go topless lol it’s more of a European thing tourists do.  And don’t forget to take good sunglasses (not expensive, just polarized/uv protection). Also, wear sunscreen or they’ll call you Rudolph.   

I went to Bob Marley's house in Nine Mile, among other things; beautiful place atop the Blue Mountains. It took a little while to get there. The guy said, "All the smoke you can handle, guhrl."  I said, "ALL the smoke?" Consequently, we had to stop for more before the trip was over lol

Also, driving through the rainforest was nice/ very cool… went to botanical gardens (Shaw Park Gardens), Dunn's River Falls, etc. Good times. If you want to trade for anything at all... I was always told that a good/new pair of
tennis shoes is an excellent commodity as they don't get that kind of thing often/ available. And as for the driving... well, just look out the side window at the landscape instead of watching the road... there may be many obstacles in
the road such as oxen, bulldozers, other cars, etc. They have some kind of horn system for communication... beep, beep…. beep, beep, beep!

Don’t be afraid to take the ten toe turbo to the local market. You don’t have to buy anything. Just check it out.  Maybe get some sweet bread (not to be confused with Lambsbread).  And definitely, at some point, drink some Blue Mountain coffee … yumm! I recommend drinking it at least everyday :)

They’ll speak English to you (British West Indies)… ‘til they want to discuss something with their friends they don’t want you to understand… then it’s a heavy dialect of Jamaican hillbilly street lingo.  If you’re so inclined, here’s a link for some Jamaican lingo… don’t have to read it all but it might help adjust your ears to
the slang 
http://www.speakjamaican.com/glossary/

Speaking of adjusting your ears… Jamaican culture runs at a different pace.  You may get your beverages and
food in a timely manner… or not… just be patient and enjoy the time spent. Try the fresh fruit... often.  And try the Red Snapper :)  If you think you're going to get a hamburger or some kind of beef... keep in mind it's most likely oxen and not the American beef you're used to. Stay away from chinese restaurants and the kung pao kitty.

As for the monetary exchange, just because the current exchange rate may be 94 to 1 (94 jamaican dollars to 1 american), doesnt' necessarily mean you'll get a whole lot more.  It seems the cost of things is generally the same there as it is here. 

Although you may be leaving a snowy climate… you’ll arrive to 80 + degree weather = instant sweat and needing water/refreshments.  When I was there, you had to carry your luggage from the plane thru the airport … which means … you had to carry your luggage!  You may be standing in line while waiting for customs agents to approve you.  Be patient. And it’s hot.  So, think about that.  Since you’re traveling in a chartered group thing ... you may get assistance.  Don’t be surprised, mon, if you have to work it a bit. 

Well, that's enough for now. You may already know all that stuff. In which case, thanks for reading all that rambling. Safe travels.  I'll be with you all in spirit! Have a wonderful time in the warm sunshine with beautiful folks and excellent music.  One Love ~  :grouphug:

• Devoted

I've got my eye on you Michelle.

You talk about topless beaches but it's another bush I want to beat around.

The only reason you hippy punks are going to Jamaica is the weed.

I know your type. Be careful when you walk on the wild side,

because you never know when that ten toe turbo takes you straight to Alcatraz.

Watching you "guhrl".

Harry Callahan, SFPD

Who you callin' punk, punk??

If you have your eye on me, you know I work in the kitchen.  And I do my best work when it's really very hot. ;)

Besides, I'm sure several folks have seen the Locked Up Abroad episode about Jamaica.  A girl gets locked up for weed.  When she's telling the story for the show... she's a man.  Heck of a life changing situation. 

Some folks are new to traveling Internationally.  I thought I'd tell some stories to help for the adjustment and a little amusement. 

sean_connery_moustache_you_a_question_Th

• Devoted

Dear Michelle,

I'm sure you have better manners than that.

Always remember that the police are here to help us, and are our friends.

I understand that young ladies today keep their "you know whats" very trimmed, if not bald!

I'm not sure if that applies to hippies, but please keep your legs crossed when wearing a dress.

Abby

From Spaghetti Westerns....

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if
you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

clint_eastwood_the_good__the_bad__and_th

To carefree comedies ....

22106886.jpg

There might be bugs on some of you mugs... but there ain't no bugs on me ~ so save your judgement for Sunday church ~

ELVISthankyou.jpg

Guest crazy digits

Who you callin' punk, punk??

If you have your eye on me, you know I work in the kitchen. And I do my best work when it's really very hot. ;)

Thanks Michelle

Besides, I'm sure several folks have seen the Locked Up Abroad episode about Jamaica. A girl gets locked up for weed. When she's telling the story for the show... she's a man. Heck of a life changing situation.

Some folks are new to traveling Internationally. I thought I'd tell some stories to help for the adjustment and a little amusement.

sean_connery_moustache_you_a_question_Th

• Devoted

Silly Humans,

Does this imply that hippy guhrls wear "Herdy Panties", rather than a perfumed loincloth of Bolweevil fur dipped in Chuckvegas' sweat?

Just asking.

Love,

Cavey :moon:

Dear Cavey,

Please use your inside voice when posting!

Always remember that this is a gentle audience, albeit unshowered.

The subject of Herdy Panties has long been dormant although I do wear mine on special occasions.

Abby

• Forum MVP

Silly Humans,

Does this imply that hippy guhrls wear "Herdy Panties", rather than a perfumed loincloth of Bolweevil fur dipped in Chuckvegas' sweat?

Just asking.

Love,

Cavey :moon:

nothing wrong with asking !!! :)  :wub:

you can exchange your money at local banks or cambios (currency exchange places... like a walk up window )  where you stay ~ I would suggest keeping your eye on the exchange rate, and exchange currency as needed ~ rates go up and down all the time...  and by all the time I mean everyday ~ also, check around for the best rates as they may differ from place to place (bank to cambio and neighborhood/region) ~ make sure you at least seem like you know what you're doing and count your money before leaving the teller window  ~ a lot of places (restaurants, shops, etc) accept american currency... but not all do

I think the rate has gone up since yesterday even. Seems I posted an exchange of 1 to 94... and today it's close to 95 1/2

here's a link for the currency converter

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=JMD

I don't recall the rhyme or reason exactly for the rates going up and down... I mean, when the cruise ship comes into town (tourist influx) the rates will probably drop as American dollars flood the banking market ... when there are less american dollars, rates go up... at least I'm guessing that's how it went... but I don't recall clearly

If you're staying at an all inclusive resort... the prices listed will most likely be in US dollars... and maybe you'll have a credit card on file anyway so little cash is needed.  It's only when you leave the resort and travel into town or other places that you'll need to think about how much money you have and where it's located.  I wouldn't suggest leaving $400 dollars in the hotel safe while you travel around town.  Remember, use your street smarts.  Keep a little cash in one pocket and rest in another or in your sock, etc.  Just sayin' ... better to be safe than... you know the rest  

Here's a little info to peruse from trip advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamaica:Caribbean:Which.Currency.Should.Be.Used.html

Also, I advised about exchanging only what you felt you needed to at the time (don't only exchange like twenty bucks tho.. ya know, $100 might go quickly, depending on what you're up to), with consideration for exchange rate, of course (if you get there and the rate seems ok... and the next day the rate goes down... it might even go down a little more the following day... so just be attentive or ask someone how the rates have been going... maybe you'll want to exchange more initially... but consider your departure.  How much money will you have in your pocket when you're leaving?  You don't want to take a bunch of Jamaican money home....  only to realize when you're at the airport you need to exchange it and get a really weak rate... losing money. 

And there are two taxi systems, pretty much like in our cities... a taxi and a bus.  And, of course, there are charter taxis/vans. 

and don't try to bring home coral... that will only get you searched ~ they'll x-ray your bags and they know what they're doing, looking for suspicious items ~ travel wisely

Hope this helps

:dsorocks:

Thank you, kindly. 

Something shines around you and it seems, to my delight.... to give me just a little sweetness... just a little light

I miss the equatorial sunshine and Caribbean breezes ~ but I'll be with you in spirit ... where the weed grows green and fine.... oh silver apples in the sun ~

My spirit will be dancing with all you, Passengers ~ dreamin' of the good lovin' that will go and come again ~

Funny how life is sometimes... seems the cosmos has called me to sit bedside an old friend whom had bladder removal surgery today ~ so I get to serve the ice chips and slight comedy ... making jokes about how he can show his bag in public and not get arrested. 

See here how everything leads up to this day ~ full of cloudy dreams unreal ~

In the book of love's own dream
Where all the print is blood
Where all the pages are my days

And all my lights grow old

When I had no wings to fly

You flew to me
     You flew to me

In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine

You dreamed of me

go in love ~ go in peace

much love to you all

:dsorocks:

:grouphug:

BOOK IT!!!

herdy are you pre-booked? we asked for three rooms next to each other around where steph and alyn were this year. so far its rick and i, jenn, and dino. you should call and get in on our row of rooms. that way when im screaming about corkscrews at 6am i only bother you fools :) .... next year ill know to bring my own...

Archived