18 Years Ago Today Last Grateful Dead Show

Hey All,

As usual it slips in while I've got a lot going on, that I wasn't even thinking about it. This morning on the news on channel 4 in Boston CBS, they had a little blurb about it. I'm listening to it now, and it wasn't too bad of a show, but the So Many Roads, and Childhood's end were the two real highlights! My last GD show was three weeks earlier in Highgate VT. That was a true disaster, and Jerry looked bad. But looking back on it, had some good stuff too. The year before was by far a better show. I still think The Standing On The Moon from the first Highgate was one of the best I ever heard Jerry do, and not to mention The Beatles I Want To Tell You out of Space. Jerry RIP!

• Forum MVP

I saw the 7-8 chicago show but had to drive home and couldnt stay for the 7-9 show.  Plus we didnt have tix for 7-9 and finding tix was next to impossible in 1995.  Me and my gf had 1 tic for the 7-8 show and stayed at the Congress Hotel in Chicago.  Put a sign on our door, "need 1 tic for tonights show".  At 10am get a banging on our door.  I was like wtf we are sleeping.  Dude had a $25 tic for us.  Was amazing!!!!!  Even though Jerry forgot most of the words to Althea, the Visions was perfect and was only my 5th show so we had a blast regardless.

My last show was at the Knick and I never took pictures of the band, but for some strange reason brought my camera to my last show 6/22/95 and got a nice shot of Jerry which I will treasure always.  I also went to Highgate and  same as Psych Oyster,  I agree with the statement about how crazy it was.  My husband was pretty sick at the time and my Dad and I went w/o him and all I could tell my hubby was that "it's just as well that you stayed home, very sad scene, people crashing down the portajohns, crashing the gate, Jerry didn't look well......"  Fans just got out of control, which is why I preach so much about fans of DSO being more respectful at the venues, to each other and to the band.  I never want DSO banned from venues or locals dreading the visit of fans that borrow their space.  I will always miss Jerry and the way the Grateful Dead used to be, but super appreciative of all that DSO do so that my husband and I can still live this awesome, musically dancing, joyful life

• Forum MVP

I can't listen to that show save for So Many Roads and maybe Black Muddy->Box of Rain for nostalgia's sake.

But that Roads - what a unique and mind boggling beast.  It's as if Jerry knew this was his last gasp.  I mean, the understated power of "Lord, I found the road.  I been walkin' down that road."  Are you serious?  Where did that come from?

Archived