From The Heart Of Me

Ship Of Fools

He's Gone

Truckin'

The Other One

Wharf Rat

Around And Around

U.S. Blues

Beautiful venue and weather! Rob E was out of commission, lost voice/allergies? Get well soon Rob! Rob B sang weir songs and I was surprised at how well he fell into the groove-like he's been doing it all along. Matt sang a couple songs- Mama Tried Mexicali-very good! I can't remember guys named that filled in on guitar. Great show even with the impromptu changes!!! Good to see old and new friends.  Shows have been great this summer even with being weak on the dancing, I've had a pint of blood taken every week since the middle of June. I think I'm done and should be back to normal in a couple days. Looking forward to Wilmington Atlanta Black Mtn .

• Forum MVP

Eaton was under Doctor's orders not to speak for 48 hours. He was actually walking around in the back with a dry erase board. He should be ok for Dewey, God willing. He probably came back too soon after that bout in Va. He gutted it out at Wolf Trap but it was clearly still not out of his system. Anybody else would have shut it down for those few days after, but to his credit he gave it a go. A professional athlete never would have played the next game, the next day, with his condition.

It was really special to see Matt singing with the band, especially on his Birthday. He did a great job on the 2 cowboy songs and the crowd was really digging it. It was just one of those occasions that we in DSO land were happy to be there for. It was such a treat!

The stand in rhythm player Allen Pretti seemed nervous at first and Cotter had him turned down initially, but as the night progressed he found his niche and the band didn't lose a step. Had to be overwhelming for him I'm sure. Like getting called up to The Show from the rookie league. As the night unfolded he wasn't just a stand in, he was in the band. Had to feel pretty fucking good to him. The kindness that gravitated from the stage towards him was crystal clear. They were grateful that on such short notice the guy stepped up to help them. Good folks.

He had played in a band with Dino and Koritz 20 years ago, and also with Skip a decade ago so that probably made him more comfortable. Hey he's not Eaton, but he filed in admirably. Not one complaint from our usual crew about his playing. The guy knew the music, that was clearly evident.

As for RB what is there to say? The guy is just an unbelievable musician. He played and sang his ass off all night long. Singing the Bobby parts was certainly different for him but his transition was seemless.

I have to say I'm not really a fan of Truckin'(as I'm sure many of you aren't) and I got a few of them this tour. But let me say this, Skip has actually made me appreciate the song again and look at it in a different light. He just fucking kills it. You get the drift.

Twas really a super dance party with a big moon shining down upon us. The venue was drop dead gorgeous, and the staff was as kind and chill as anyone could ask for. A beautiful scenic mountain venue. The vistas were breathtaking. We could see for miles and miles, not a cloud in the sky. The opening bands were great, especially the John King Band who did much of the JGB repetoire, as did the other bands. It was a very Jerry day. That's why we knew we weren't going to get a DSO, JGB show all the material was already played. The Spill That Wine encore that the John King Band finished with had us all in a fenzy. There were tons of vendors, a beautiful grassy, level dance area stage left and the Dork Stars really got down. My Sisters and Brothers that were unable to attend would have loved that party. I hope they do it again next year.

Rest In Peace Jerry. Your light will forever shine!

Love to you all, I'm off the bus for the rest of the tour. Have a great time at Black Mountain. See ya's on the playground another time, another place. Peace.

Wow, what a wonderful review, Mr. West!  Scott and I had our own dance party at home since we couldn't make the show.  We loved hanging with you last weekend and you'll be missed in N.C.  Til we dance again.....

Peace

I concur about the night being unique for many reasons, and the fact that Eaton was obeying doctor's orders was only the beginning. For one, there was an almost supernaturaIy cool vibe among the crowd, and even the "security" seemed to sense this. I have never attended an outdoor festival show that was so small-town mellow. Like Vasa Park, only larger, and with an awe-inspiring view beyong the stage. As the sun was dipping, in between the time the John King band left the stage (very tight, great sounding band, by the way) and DSO appeared, the hills behind took on hues that changed by the minute. I turned to my husband only to find him with a huge cheshire grin on his face, pointing at the amazing scene, as if I hadn't noticed! Secondly, the full moon coming up was tremendously bright. Not technically a "super" moon, which is ocurring tonight, but very cool to behold, and set a proper tone for the evening.

The guy who filled in for Rob E. (wish I could recall his name) did look a bit stiff at times, but as the night wore on he blended in quite nicely with the band. You could tell that he was REALLY trying, and it was clear by the playfulness of everyone on stage that they were very thankful for having him, as Mr. West said. Highlights in the first set for me were Matt singing his heart out on Mama Tried and Mexicali, a harmony fest between Lisa and Rob B. on Cassidy, and a funk and reaggae infused version of Jack-A-Roe, which I really dug. I loved how there were plenty of spaces to dance, even down pretty close to the stage, and the sound was dialed in perfectly. Of course, it helped that there was virtually no wind at all, and few obstructions for those further back. The air temp dropped dramatically after dusk, and by set break the dew made things feel even cooler.

Second set had more than a few stellar moments, and I don't believe I have ever danced as hard as I did for that 90 or so minutes. Then again, maybe it's more due to the fact that I just turned 50, and this morning my body told me I had! Either way, I know I was not alone in tearing loose. The Need a Miracle was more than aptly sung by Barraco, and had a punchiness to it that screamed 1978-79. Jeff took Bertha in the same direction, and was it was a joy to hear. Back to RB for vocals on Good Lovin', and it was interesting to witness him singing it in Bob Weir fashion, instead of the extended Pig Pen versions he has unleashed on us in the past. To say he is versatile in his vocals would be a rediculous understatement! Next up was Lisa on Heart of Me, and it was simply beautiful. I fall short of calling this a highlight, as it is never a song I particularly enjoyed all that much, but she made it shine. The He's gone, deadicated, of course, to Jerry, was thoroughly emotional, and a huge highlight of the evening for me, as I'm sure for many. Long, thoughtful solos and heart felt singing from Jeff, along with great harmonies from Lisa and RB. Not many dry eyes on faces by its conclusion. Truckin was fun, again with kick ass vocals by RB. By this time I realized we probabaly would have no Space>Drums, as it had already been 7 songs into the set, and my suspicions were confirmed when they TORE into The Other One. Once again, RB showed his flexibility in handling this lead vocal as well, and, man, what a fine, fine version it was!!! Tight as a fucking drum, loud, and just wild fun. Skip dropped some appropriately timed bombs throughout. By the time it settled into Wharf Rat, I was ready for a break, as were many. Jeff made my heart absolutely sing with this soulful reading, and he seemed to be reaching for something special. Well, in mind, he got there. Around and Around was a great way to end the set, and reminded me a little of the one that closed the second set back on 8/11/12 at Mercer County Park in NJ. The way all vocalists took turns with scatting over the harmonies near the end was a treat, and you could tell they were having a blast. The U.S. Blues was decently played, but what lay in store for the filler was obvious, in a way, and brought the evening to a marvelous finish. Werewolves could not have been a better choice, given the clear, full moon beaming down on us, and the crowd ate it the fuck up!!! Jeff and RB took turns with the verses, and Lisa chimed in, too (did Skip?, I can't recall), and got everyone whooping and howling the words. What a great way to wrap things up.

I understand that this was this first time DSO had played at this festival, and I sincerely hope they are invited back every Summer. It wasn't huge as far as attendance numbers go, which made things great for us dancers, but the vibe was just about as close to perfect as I could hope for at an outdoor show. Bravo to the organizers of this well run place, and to DSO for not just "making lemonade", but rallying in a positive, uplifting way for us grateful fans.

• Forum MVP

The next show is always the best show! :)

I don't get to say it often enough but I love you all. Thank you to everyone who comes and shares space together.

I second that emotion!!

Hope to see many of you at Black Mountain

I'm so happy to hear this event went well, and I appreciate the reviews so much all you starheads.

been wanting to hear one of their full moon werewolves for a while after seeing a vid of one they did in colorado, what good raucous silly fun it must have been.

Feel like I've missed so much these past few weeks, but once again thanks for the reviews EVERYBODY and helping this guy keep up on what's going down.

Archived