bethlehem

Mango

• Forum MVP

To mix metaphores a tad: we are indeed quick to circle the wagons on this site but Jerry's tent is big and all his chilluns are welcome here. And Andyo, I think you might be surprised at the age of some of us in this thread. FWIW, there is another thread buried somewhere that covers that very topic.

And by all means do NYE, if not shows before - check out the November schedule! Some of us travel far and wide to hang with this circus, and most everyone "here" will be at a decent percentage of the fall shows. And some of us even listen to other music too (as Cornmeal streams in the background here on the farm). Occasional defensiveness aside, we really are an inclusive and welcoming group. God, the word "diverse" even comes to mind. Come and dance!!

I feel bad about my rogue avatar.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm totally down with andyo on this topic. It's a little much how quickly everyone jumps in to flame someone who has an intrpretaion of a show or set in this case that in their mind might be less than pristine..

And he makes a valid point in terms of many people on the board see twenty plus and (sometimes more) shows a year.

When you can only see one or two GD related shows per year...sometimes you can't help but have heightened expectaions..for the road dogs you know a 70's show will eventually be in your rotation.....

For alot of us our favorite variety of ice cream is the luck of the draw...and to be a little dissapointed that you did not get your Chocolate Mint Chip...is not Heresy..

Ease up.......I do believe you can't find a better tribute song to Jerry Garcia in a second set the night before 8/9 than Sing Me Back Home....and Sister and Brothers ain't bad either...take a look at the lyrics on those gems...........

Show was excellent as usual. Many highpoints kimock very good but seemed like trouble grooving with a band he dosen't play with regularly. Over all a fine night with DSO. Staff made up for the strangeness in the crowd, after the show I was looking on the floor for my sneakers and this staff guy about 75yo was holding them in the air hoping their owner would find them. I thanked him and asked how he thought the crowd was- he thought we were a "nice group of people"!

For me this nite was everything I appreciate the most about DSO, EASY. Small easy venue, very accesible, and nice folks working there. As for the music, I am still thinking about the nite and the sing me back home and easy wind, FANTASTIC!!. I do agree that the guests, while great 99% of the time, did tend to throw everything off a bit, but that is to be expected with any guest. I would have preferred a rippin late 70"sw show, but perhaps next time. That is what keeps it interesting for me and wanting more!!!

Guest darbysdad

Oh My God!

I Missed A Real Keeper.

Three Days In Friggin Sweatbox Of Birminham,Ala.

It's Not Fair I Tell You.Not Fair

Aaron,Miss You Bud

How About Penn's Peak & Nokia?

Guest crazy digits

dude, i can kinda understand where you are coming from.....you expected something from dso and got an oddball thrown at you.....we arn't used to that and really enjoy when a special guest decides to pop in....nye should be an original...just warning you but guaranteed to be sick...see you there i hope. peace.

LET IT ROCK !!!!!! Wish I was there. Sounds like it was fun. I will tell you, I never did understand the guy or girl who bitched about a musical show where those guys and gal on stage are selling their souls for all to share. Those YEARS we went through this shit with the dead just weren't enough ?Let it go people, LET IT FUCKING GO. By the way the VIBES was SICK last night. Great crowd and I saw NOTHING but smiles all around. It really is a treat when you get 8,000 people in a space ALL FEELING IT . Thanks guys enjoy the tomatoes : ))))) See ya soon.

Anth

• Forum MVP
For me this nite was everything I appreciate the most about DSO, EASY. Small easy venue, very accesible, and nice folks working there. As for the music, I am still thinking about the nite and the sing me back home and easy wind, FANTASTIC!!. I do agree that the guests, while great 99% of the time, did tend to throw everything off a bit, but that is to be expected with any guest. I would have preferred a rippin late 70"sw show, but perhaps next time. That is what keeps it interesting for me and wanting more!!!

Last nite was a rippin late 70's show, hope to u keep on comin. steve

a little late, but after reading through this topic, and i wanted to post....

The show was creatively put together, and included two amazing guest musicians (it was my first time seeing Kimmock, and to be honest one of the main reasons I decided to go to the show that night). I thought all the members of DSO sounded "on," and the lights and overall sound was great!!!! The set lists was unpredictable and fun. And there was a lot of dancing!!!!!

The venue was intimate. I thought the crowd was a strange mix. A lot of cute hippie chics!!!! Which is always fun to see. Unfortunatly, there was a guy... who of course he had to come into my space, and then proceed to yell at the top of his lungs bob weir sucks.... and there were several like him.... i wish these people would disappear into the unconscious space they create!

peace,

erin

• Forum MVP

Now not to say I don't love Jerry BUT Bobby rocks. I am not too impressed on what he is doing now, with a more laid back approach. Bobby got me into a lot of songs. He would bring Jerry out of his shell so to speak. I always loved the way Bobby would do his crazy yells and "shhh shhh" in Corrina. Now if anybody can sit there and yell that he sucks has very little intelligence and is totally in the wrong place. Bob's guitar style is one of a kind and for him to still be preforming is a gift to all. In concolusion show love not only to Jerry but Bobby also and feel pity to the retards yelling Bob sucks. I love you all just some less than others. cya at dasho!

Take it easy guys. You are looking at this from a different perspective. People have a different perspective on what they want to see depending on how many times they get to get out and see the band. We know they are not "just a cover band" because of shows like this, but some people can only get out once or twice a year, have big expectations of a preconceived setlist in their head, and are a little let down when it doesn't come to fruition. I don't think he said he didn't enjoy the show or playing, just not his favorite choice of setlist. To each their own

Ok, fair enough. (and thank you for the voice of reason)

And I will acknowledge that I experienced enough moderate Post-Webboard Posting Remorse after my "WAH" post that I considered erasing it, especially since my itchy trigger finger came undone to a new user. So maybe some words were a little too much.

However:

Going to any show with a set of expectations is almost impossible not to do, yet usually sets one up for disappointment. We all have our lists of wishes, and what we want to hear and see, but boxing the band in and insisting on meeting those expectations is not only impossible, but also a little small.

The band is not a jukebox. Furthermore, leaving before the show finishes sort of just signifies giving up to me. To top that off with a list of "shouldas" almost came off as insulting, or at least lacking in respect for the band to offer their art in the manner they have chosen to present it.

And as for being "on the even of you know what", what better tribute could there possibly be than for all this to be even happening, in spite of whatever setlist or song material was played?

Andyo- I apologize for my snide comment at your stated opinion, and I respect you (in some way) for coming on here and stating your case. At the same time, I encourage you to consider why you ended up so disappointed, and to give dso another chance to meet or bypass any expectations you might bring with you.

gently,

jackjones

Andyo- I apologize for my snide comment at your stated opinion, and I respect you (in some way) for coming on here and stating your case. At the same time, I encourage you to consider why you ended up so disappointed, and to give dso another chance to meet or bypass any expectations you might bring with you.

gently,

jackjones

Dude, I'm overcome. Thank you for the thought. I've seen DSO 5 or 6 times over the last 5 years and I'll be going back again. I just can't help being mired in the 70's and whenever I see them I just want to experience Englishtown all over again (I was there - it was the seminal event in my Dead life). I know that's kind of lame and I saw a lot of other shows right up through the 90's but that's where my heart is.

Guest captain420

Glad to see those who held it together with andyo. BS69, thanks brad.

1. Let the man voice his opinion about the show. It's not a pissing contest either. how many shows bullshit. 'give it up, you can't win'

2. You don't have to curse at someone on the boards...ie FUCKING ____...not cool. or Shut the fuck up (STFU).

3. Don't judge so quickly (Touch of Grey single..) Think about it in different POV's..think before you type..it's hard to get the real way you feel through a computer with just letters and it's easy to take it the wrong way....

Welcome andyo!

You found a good place here, full of great people. Glad to have you here.

:cheers::shakehandhug:

• Forum MVP
Glad to see those who held it together with andyo. BS69, thanks brad.

1. Let the man voice his opinion about the show. It's not a pissing contest either. how many shows bullshit. 'give it up, you can't win'

2. You don't have to curse at someone on the boards...ie FUCKING ____...not cool. or Shut the fuck up (STFU).

3. Don't judge so quickly (Touch of Grey single..) Think about it in different POV's..think before you type..it's hard to get the real way you feel through a computer with just letters and it's easy to take it the wrong way....

Welcome andyo!

You found a good place here, full of great people. Glad to have you here.

:cheers::shakehandhug:

Hey maybe I learned something...I'm going to "think before I type" and Shut the fuck up (STFU)....

Guest captain420

Not sure if you took me wrong New York Steve.

"2. You don't have to curse at someone on the boards...ie FUCKING ____...not cool. or Shut the fuck up (STFU)."

I meant, you don't need to call someone names or tell them to STFU....I didn't mean either this or STFU. Sorry.

• Forum MVP
Not sure if you took me wrong New York Steve.

"2. You don't have to curse at someone on the boards...ie FUCKING ____...not cool. or Shut the fuck up (STFU)."

I meant, you don't need to call someone names or tell them to STFU....I didn't mean either this or STFU. Sorry.

No worries, it was probably an overreaction on my part, maybe it's the NY in me...

• Forum MVP

Barbecued Spam Sandwiches

SUBMITTED BY: Cindi Bauer

"I came across this recipe about 16 years ago. I know this sandwich sounds a bit strange, being Spam and all, but I have to admit it's not a bad tasting sandwich. It's the only thing I've ever made with spam."

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Barbecued-Spa...hes/Detail.aspx

Barbecued Spam Sandwiches

SUBMITTED BY: Cindi Bauer

"I came across this recipe about 16 years ago. I know this sandwich sounds a bit strange, being Spam and all, but I have to admit it's not a bad tasting sandwich. It's the only thing I've ever made with spam."

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Barbecued-Spa...hes/Detail.aspx

if that's the only thing you've ever made with spam, then you sir, are missing out!!! :P

okay, I couldn't even take that seriously myself. I will admit to having had a spam breakfast sammich -- cheese, egg and spam between some bread on one occasion. which happened to be out at the Ledges this year. maybe it's that fresh Ohio air what made it taste so damn good

Archived