New Year's Eve, Keswick Theatre

Guest echo

• Forum MVP
New Years eve is a celebration for all of us and if it's not moving for us then we are losing the battle already!

As a fan, this is the most important point for me. The worst thing in my book is to see musicians that aren't getting off on stage or even worse, see them faking it. If Weir wanted to play Picasso Moon, I wanted him to play that. I didn't want him playing something else if he's not feeling it. Maybe there are people who wouldn't notice but I think most fans absolutely notice no matter how implicit it is. It's not like a band doesn't play for the crowd but I think almost every head agrees that it makes all the sense in the world that they first have to play for themselves individually and the rest of their band mates next. That's how the energy flows to us and if they aren't getting off as a band, that energy has nowhere to originate. Seeing some band come by your hometown and play the same setlist as they've done for the past month may make some people happy because they get to hear all the hits but for most of us, it's something we've learned to stay away from because it's not as real and there is much less chance that anything special will happen.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My question is how can someone be sure if they will hear a deadset at the DSO show? Are there any constructive comments out there? This would be a good time to get the positive vibe back.

Rob always nails it right on the head! Thanks again for a great night Rob, you guys always make us happy! That was the best NYE party I ever attended! And the smaller bonus was the fresh chocolate chip cookies at the Days Inn @ 2AM!!!

As for the above question and in an effort to bring the positive vibe back to the discussion, in order to almost guarantee the experiance of DSO performing a "deadset" one must ensure they attend both nights at Nokia in NYC...

Peace in the Northeast! :rofl:

Alex911sc

God I thought there was a show last night :D :D Hate when I screw the schedule up. Anyone find my KILT ?

Thanks Robbie and Band and crew. Had a ball although missed one of em somewhere. You guys are the best and the show really was a lot of fun. Part of all this for me is finding the way before , during and after shows. When it works and WE click it's what keeps me coming back ! It's fleeting but it seems to happen more often than it used to, which I would guess comes from maturity ? Save the remarks all on that last comment : ))) Have fun on the boat guys , really wish I was going. See you soon and thanks a bunch. Happy New Year and Best of luck all.

Anthony

Sad to say it... But

I'm going to have to agree with Ellen on a lot of these accounts.

Same old story, I know it's been told.. but now that I'm getting accustomed to seeing DSO play in larger capacity theaters, I was quickly reminded how much I dislike the crowd in club shows. (The moral of the story here is to bring all your friends to the shows.. Better attendance means bigger better venues)

As far as clubs go, the Rams head IS a really nice room.. And, musically speaking I thought it was the best show.

But when you have that many people packed in that small of a venue, you simply can't allow smoking inside. I got "butted" with a red hot cherry twice, which annoyed the piss out of me. Then some tool bag above me dropped his beer cup on my head. That was fun... I just don't get it, did someone fail to teach these folks common respect?

I don't mean to be negative, but the place was packed like a sardine can, and by 11:00 it was impossible to breathe in there. I don't want to trample anyones right to smoke. Smoke away to your hearts content. Whatever, but do it outside, and if they do allow smoking inside.. At LEAST watch your butts, and don't blow your smoke in my face. It's just disrespectful.

all right.. I'm done bitching

if we are bitching......

I want to complain about the CIGARETTE SMOKE at the Ram's Head

which I understand maybe next time won't be a factor as Baltimore outlawed indoor smoking as of Jan 1

I am also have a huge compliant against the seated venues

they are pretty and sound good but I go to dance and hate dealing with seats and SLANTED floors which kill my hips and knees and lower back

I always come away battered, black and blue from whacking myself on the seats

I understand some people like to sit but it seems the majority want to dance

Finally, there are always the TALKERS

at Rams Head during Peggy O - I had one group of guys in my right ear arguing about football and in the left ear another group of guys bitching loudly about their girlfriends when the bar was less than 10 feet away

but no they had to yak all through a beautiful song I was trying to listen to

Beer and bathroom lines are inherent to older venues so I expect that everywhere and am pleasantly surprised when it is not that bad

as far as bitching about the song selection or original versus elective setlists

when I toured with the Dead, it was often a given you would have to go to at least 3-4 shows sometimes more to get a that one really good one. That was always the trade-off and everyone knew it

The fact that DSO can consistently deliver above par shows night after night is what gets me on a plane to wherever. It is the only sure fire "I AM GONNA DANCE" opportunity out there for now and I am emmensely grateful for it. The Dead were never nearly as reliable as DSO.

thats my two cents

Ellen

• Advisory Board

This thread has turned out very nicely. There have been many informative posts, heartfelt and even educational. Rob Eaton's post really say's it all.

I am one of those people that never leaves a DSO show unhappy with the music. If you didn't know me you might think I am either very non-discriminating or a fool (even if you know me you may think the later...). I am not. I've been around the GD block like so many of us before there was a DSO. Why then is DSO so satisfying to me that I make the above, bold statement?

1. Absolute and obvious love of the band members for the music of the Grateful Dead (THANK YOU BAND).

2. Incredibly tight performances not altered by so many of the things that hurt the Grateful Dead, making for CONSISTENTLY excellent shows (it is funny because any song I never quite liked or "got" originally I have "got" and liked with DSO). I loved the GD, do not get me wrong!

3. Small venues. Anyplace DSO plays is better than Madison Square Garden or Alpine Valley from an intimate musical experience (not to mention sound quality). I like so many others will be nothing but proud and happy when our band becomes everyones' band, but the ability to be right there will not be the same...

4. Approachability of the band members/Feeling a part of "it". Reality is if you really want to meet or say something or ask a question to anyone (including the crew by the way...) you CAN. They are friendly people, and I have always been impressed and even surprised about how much they give to the fans personally as well as professionaly. Bottom line, I don't know how many of you felt that you had a personal relationship with any of the members of the GD, but in some way I feel that I do with everyone in DSO. I feel part of "it". I am more invested in the DSO phenomenon because it is more personal to me. If the GD was a complex life form, then DSO is still a simple organism, but that makes me closer to the nucleus...and I like that alot. DSO is real people, playing the best music, at the highest level all the time.

Peace,

Barry B)

If I was going to see DSO play only dead tunes then I would never hear them play these covers:

ain"t no lie

All around this world

All over now

around & around

Baby blue

Big river

Big railroad blues

biodtl

bobby mcgee

broken arrow

c.c.rider

cold rain&snow

dancin

dark hollow

death don't have no mercy

don't ease me in

deep elm

el paso

gdtrfb

gimme some lovin

gloria

good lovin

heavin's door

hey bo diddley

hey pocky way

I know you rider

iftl

iko iko

johnny be goode

last time

let it rock

lovelight

ltgtr

lucy in the sky

maggie's farm

moma tried

masterpiece

me and my uncle

memphis blues

midnight hour

mighty quinn

minglewood

monkey and the engineer

morning dew

mr. fantasy

nfa

on the road again

peggy -o

promised land

queen jane

race is on

revolution

rooster

same thing

samson

satisfaction

school girl

she belongs to me

silver threads

sing me back home

smokestack

spoonful

top of the world

train to cry

viola lee blues

visions of johanna

walking blues

wang dang doodle

watchtower

we bid you goodnight

werewolves

who do you love

I would be selling myself short. Covers make the world go round and around.

Peace, Steve

PS: I've got blisters on my fingers

So THIS is what you do with your time off???!!!!

Sounds like we've had this conversation before!

Peace Brother.

Initially, the show at the Keswick left me feeling strange. I think a large portion of it was my own doing, but I, also, think that the originality of song selection and the arrangement of songs contrasted with my understanding and expectation of a NYE show, which in turn caused me to have to process a new set of information that I wasn't ready for on that evening. Maybe I was looking for a familiar arrangement?

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, strange is very good, and I can honestly say that I treasure having been to the Keswick on NYE, especially for the Ohio, Walrus (Koritz with the fangs), And It Stoned Me, BIODTL, Mississippi Queen, After Midnight, Alligator, and WRS!!! It just took me a little longer to fully process and appreciate what the band served up on NYE.

Thanks a billion!

Well I say hallelujah to anyplace that allows for any sort of discussion, whether it be pro or con, on a subject, and then to top it off a band member actually responds. I cannot imagine that anywhere else!!!! That said, and I believe the following has been said before, I cannot help but feel that for anyone who saw numerous GD shows. it is going to take a couple DSO shows to get over not seeing the faces of those we came to know so well playing the music. I know after my first show I felt that way, and now I am just happy to be able to go and see DSO perform, whether it is a recreation or original. The only advice I would give to someone disapointed with any show, especially their first, is to try and try again, the bug will bite you, and I think most will find it quite amazing in the end. Keeping on topic (LOL) NYE shows always were a bit of a disapointment, but in the end, I am sure for the rest of my life there will only be one thing on my mnd on any given 12/31, being at a show. I am sorry I was not able to make tis and hope in the future to get to at least one more.........

Guest delaware darkstar

Thanks for a great New Years guys!! I thought the show was awesome!

I suppose some of it has to do with mindset..I expected an original set list. Actually, I prefer an original set list. I find it is more spontaneous and exciting. I saw well over 100 dead shows in my days and one of the issues I had toward the end was that it was too predictable. I thought the song selection was great. Loved the Stranger opener and I really enjoy hearing some classic Dylan songs in the mix. Songs like Unbroken Chain and Lazy Lightning were wonderful surprises.

The second set rocked- loved the After Midnight (a song Garcia covered many times), Skakedown was powerful, and how can you not love Weather Report>Let it Grow..just classic Dead material!

I did not come expecting to see the Dead. I came expecting to hear some great music and dance...exactly what the band delivered. I am not sure who manages sound for the band, but I thought it was mixed perfectly. The venue was great. Other than long beer lines, everyone was in a good mood and there was a no hassle environment.

Thanks, for a real good time!

Happy New Years all...Peace.

• Forum MVP
Initially, the show at the Keswick left me feeling strange. I think a large portion of it was my own doing, but I, also, think that the originality of song selection and the arrangement of songs contrasted with my understanding and expectation of a NYE show, which in turn caused me to have to process a new set of information that I wasn't ready for on that evening. Maybe I was looking for a familiar arrangement?

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, strange is very good, and I can honestly say that I treasure having been to the Keswick on NYE, especially for the Ohio, Walrus (Koritz with the fangs), And It Stoned Me, BIODTL, Mississippi Queen, After Midnight, Alligator, and WRS!!! It just took me a little longer to fully process and appreciate what the band served up on NYE.

Thanks a billion!

steve, i think you just summarized my thoughts perfectly! it took me until the third set to fully get it into it, and when I did I was just that much better.

on the topic of venue selections, I still prefer smaller venues like the rams head solely for dancing purposes. I hate the seats and slanted floors in theater venues (the one exception was the theater in bethlehem which had a section between the upper and lower seats which was flat.) perhaps when I grow older i'll appreciate the theaters more...

Guest crazy digits

me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, on the other hand, would love to see a multiple night affair at the Keswick...GRATE place!!! Top 5 indoor venues for sure! THANKS DSO!!

• Forum MVP
me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, on the other hand, would love to see a multiple night affair at the Keswick...GRATE place!!! Top 5 indoor venues for sure! THANKS DSO!!

Aside from transportation issues and a highly visible law enforcement presence, I had no problems either. In fact, I was able to find sufficient dance space each of the four nights to make myself even more sweaty and gross than usual by show's end.

Mission accomplished.

sweat.gif

multiple night affair would be awesome..... but hopefully in Spring or summer when its above freezing!

~ Lisa

After hearing the Walrus and Ohio my mind was wandering back to the NLQP soundcheck... I was hoping a 'Watching the Wheels' was in store, but alas, no.

2 Questions, maybe someone in the band can answer these?

~ Will we ever hear another Watching the Wheels?

~ On NYE when you guys started into 'She Belongs to Me' I thought, no I was SURE you were going into a 'Visions of Johanna'. Are these two intros similar in sound or was I just 'off'?

I thought the 'She Belongs to Me' was awesome, for me the highlight of the set. I've seen Ratdog do it MANY times so I knew all the words and really enjoyed it!

Thanks DSO, For A Real Good Time!

On NYE when you guys started into 'She Belongs to Me' I thought, no I was SURE you were going into a 'Visions of Johanna'. Are these two intros similar in sound or was I just 'off'?

Funny you said that Mike, when I was listening to it yesterday, I had the same exact thought! And at the show, I sort of remember thinking they were going to Visions at first too....

Rather than go into a long rambling response to this idiot, I will point out a that part of the charm of the gd and for that matter dso, is to expect the unexpected. I shudder to think that you speak for the "loyal dead fan base" and the fact that you had to wake someone up on new years points out that the show was a dissapointment, well, that is just idiotic.

"Are you sure that they didn't cover any show the dead ever played?" Do some reserach and get back to us on that one...

Happy New Year!!!

Right on steve :)

Archived