Springfield, Oh

ThinMan

looks like another killer show:

01-10-79 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y. (Wed)

1: Promised, Dire Wolf, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain, Stagger Lee, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Passenger, Loser, Music

2: Shakedown, Miracle> Bertha> Good Lovin, Dark Star> Drumz> Wharf Rat> St. Stephen> Around E: Johnny B. Goode

Dark Star and St. Stephen were only played in the same show twice after 10/31/71...This show and the closing of Winterland.

Springfield must of gone crazy...

• Forum MVP
looks like another killer show:

01-10-79 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y. (Wed)

1: Promised, Dire Wolf, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain, Stagger Lee, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Passenger, Loser, Music

2: Shakedown, Miracle> Bertha> Good Lovin, Dark Star> Drumz> Wharf Rat> St. Stephen> Around E: Johnny B. Goode

Dark Star and St. Stephen were only played in the same show twice after 10/31/71...This show and the closing of Winterland.

Springfield must of gone crazy...

Filler: Mighty Quinn

This is a free show/benefit for Springfield arts every year and brings out a mixed crowd. Lots of kids (I brought my eleven year old daughter) and even elderly supporters of the arts. The crowd was filling in through most of the first set as the band played a pretty strait forward set that really took off toward the end foreshadowing things to come. The second set was a monster that had everyones attention from the start with a great Shakedown, a good Miracle had everyone up and moving. It was at this point (It was getting dark) that I feared the glowsticks may get out of hand. They started flying from the back toward the front. The crowd up front kept their cool and did not keep them flying, most ended up as glowing jewelry for the kids, which was great to see. The band continued on with Bertha (gotta like a second set Bertha)>Good lovin'. Then came Dark Star (one verse) very well played, as usual the crowd was either transfixed or wandering and chatting. To enjoy a good Dark Star you must stay with the music, do not lose focus. A solid Drumz was followed by solid Wharf Rat and then (surprise!) St. Stephen. The Stephen came up big with a great jam that I thought for sure was going to go into NFA, but no, they came back around and finished it up with a flurry that made the crowd explode. They kept the frazzled masses moving with a jumping Around and JBG encore. They finished with a Mighty Quinn filler that was a perfect ending to a great night. Nearly a full moon in the sky and no signs of the clouds! Clear sky orchestra rides across Ohio again!

• Forum MVP

It was my first and not my last time at this sweet place. Before the show I had the pleasure to talk to a local couple. They were 77 years young and had heard nice things about DSO. It was the first the seen DSO and after stopping back a few times the smiles said it all. They were impressed on how well the band played and they noticed the Marty Robins song.

The high lights for me were the entire 2nd set !!! The around and around was outta sight. It went through all speeds and has become one of the true gems this band has in its huge bag of tricks.

I hope to see you all again friday night.

Peace

• Forum MVP

Springfield seems to have that special magic. The setting in the park ...the people, many little ones...lots of dogs, all in a good mood. First time I've noticed dogs up front being held in the arms of their person....danceing through the whole set. a very freindly spot for a show.

The energy in the second set was over the top. I've never seen such high energy being sustaned for so long of a time at any show. Everyone up front was just totally out of our minds. I'm wondering how far back into the crowd this madness was felt. This show was one of the best high rock'n ones ever.

It was especially nice run into several old friends again. Angelina, Thank you for the beautiful ear rings. They look especially nice on Bess. She wore them all day yesterday.

Peace, Love and Music for All

Doc

Archived