St. Stephen

William Tell

Eleven

Comes A Time

Sugar Mag

Scarlet

SSDD

Encore: Brothers and Sisters

sooooo the show was lots of fun- HOLY HELL is all I have to say about Hurts Me Too. Lisa actually seemed to sing most of it and it was UNREAL! Evangeline was a total surprise - 1st time I've heard DSO do that I think.

Its a shame the venue was really tough to dance in and the energy in the crowd was rather lackluster.

Thank you DSO for another great tour. Safe travels and happy holidays!!!

xoxo,

Lisa

Venue vibes sucked with all the authorities "being in control"

Show was just amazing

Lisa Lisa Lisa............................................Hurts Me Too- Can't even put into words the emotions.

Comes a Time brought tears to my already sweat filled eyes.

Great show, venue was interesting with the history of the place. My highlights included in no particular order, since I thought the whole thing was great, Lisa singing it Hurts Me To and the great Comes a Time. Of particular interest to me was the second set before the drums, in between New Potato Caboose and the drums, I noticed it was the same order of songs that the Dead did there in 1971 when the place opened. (might be 1970, earlyl in the am here). I really enjoyed the Sugar magnolia>Scarlet Begonias to end the set which left me wondering whether DSO was previewing/practicing for New Years and a set list from the closing of the Winterland!! Merry Xmas to the band, enjoy your break off the bus, and see you at the end of the month :)

Of particular interest to me was the second set before the drums, in between New Potato Caboose and the drums, I noticed it was the same order of songs that the Dead did there in 1971 when the place opened.

The perfect mix for those who like to debate original vs recreation. It was a hybrid with great historical significance.

• Forum MVP

despite getting hideously lost on the way to and from the venue, I had the time of my life(again). like its already been said hurts me too was so powerful...need to hear it again. The second set was the perfect mix of jams and rockin tunes...I thought it was really cool how they did the whole nfa>gdtrfb>nfa pre-drums. This eleven, out of four that I have seen now, was my favorite. The band seemed really comfortable playing it(john bit it for a moment during the verse ("eight sided whispering..")). the music was powerful last night, but unfortunately so was security :huh: ...dso please don't play here again...not dead friendly whatsoever. Hopefully montclair will be a little better.

This tour has been so very amazing...balls deep if you will...Its been a crazy month of so..I'm broke, my car needs an oil change(badly), and everyone I know thinks i'm crazy. Well...fuck it. Shout outs to everyone who has been part of my wonderful experience..you all know who you are. New Years is just around the corner....

...until we meet again--- :dsorocks:

Guest captain420
no words about the Evangeline?? Sounds/looks like quite the show ... stoked for the new years run!

Seriously, I would have been Stoked! Bring on the JGB tunes-----> The MAKER!

• Forum MVP

the dark star ,st stephen ,nfa.gdtrfb nfa st stephen was played by the grateful dead at that venue in 1970. I did not enjoy the show at all& it had nothing to do with the music ,I thought the sound where I was sucked ,I thought the security was the worse I ever seen at a show ,they were just so uptight ,the whole center area was sitting down for most of the show , highs coming out of the speaker stack were screatchey, I had to cover my ears at times but the band works with the house sound system & Dan does the best with what he has to work with . happy holidays to all ---Steve

I love the connection to the 1970 setlist-thanks for pointing that out! As a non-dancer who attended Grateful Dead shows from 1971-1978, and started seeing the DSO 3 years ago, I merge with this music as an inward type of journeying, letting the flow of the music bring me to levels and intensities of ideas, rememberances, self-honesty moments, etc. in a safe and wonderful environment. Please don't judge a still book by its cover. The guy sitting next to me at this show, who only stood up once, and looked to be around 60 years old, looked up at me with glowing eyes at the end, and said 'Amazing show!. I too felt it to be the best of the 5 I've been at this tour. The Comes A Time and It Hurts Me Too were deeply moving. So it might surprise you to turn around and look in some non-dancer's eyes at some point during the show and see the same joy manifesting that was present in Kimberly's dancing to Dark Star,

or radiating through John during the end of Comes A time. Thanks a lot for considering this.

• Advisory Board

The show was great!

That's the only good thing I have to say about that place... Security were Nazi's, and got lost (in New Jersey? No way...) getting to the venue. Good to see family faces as always, but I won't ever go back to that place.

Special thanks to Steve and Kris for the hospitality last night, and the kick ass breakfast this morning. Big thanks to cnjbrian for giving me a lift back to Lancaster.. you guys fuckin' rock!

And to the rest of you crazy degenerate hippy fucks that I couldn't live without, I love you all so much. Thanks for helping me with the healing process this weekend. Hope to see you all for the New Years run..

I thought this venue sucked

I would not go back there

Thanks August West for the front row ticket stub!!!!!!!

It made the evening much better

Evangeline and Hurts Me Too were my highlights

Thank you Lisa

Loved seeing everyone again

See y'all in Florida

Happy Holidays

-e

Guest rowjimmy

After the 350 lb event security manager told student security to leave my 5 year old alone so he could dance, I settled down and we enjoyed the show. By the way, did anyone catch my boy during NFA singing to the balcony...LOL

As far as the venue goes, I think like most hosting DSO for the first time, they do not know what to expect when they only hear "dead heads" are coming. I would expect with some coaching of the over zealous student security (they were not even born when the Dead played in 1970), we might have a different experience if DSO would return in the future. Quality of sound seemed to be an issue watching Dan Healy pace back and forth across the walkway in an effort to improve the mix. All in all, we would return to Shea as it is close and provides a opportunity to share the music with our children.

The band....what can I say? They pour their hearts out for us every show and Saturday night was no exception. A soulful ending to a wonderful tour. Rest well as I look at flights for Pompano.

Peace

• Forum MVP

.... Got to tell this Healy story....

So at the back stage of the show is a two floor elevator, the venue being on the second floor. The first floor went to student practice rooms. In order to keep any of the students or unauthorized people from using the elevator to get back stage someone from the local crew put a trash can in the way of the elevator door so that when it tried to close it would hit the trash can and re-open. It did this all night long. During the break between sets Healy was digging the rhythm of this elevator door constantly closing, hitting the trash can, and then opening. He had Mike ("Sco") put a mic up to it and run it out to the P.A. At the beginning of the set you may have noticed a bagging sound come from the p.a. ...Well that's what it was. Of course he turned it off for the music but he was testing it out for use during space. He added some reverb and walla .... a space machine. In addition, during space you had Nick holding up his walky talky to the mic while people were talking to him through it and the elevator did its thing. ... a little behind the scenes look at the wizard "pulling on the ropes and pulleys."

• Forum MVP
.... Got to tell this Healy story....

So at the back stage of the show is a two floor elevator, the venue being on the second floor. The first floor went to student practice rooms. In order to keep any of the students or unauthorized people from using the elevator to get back stage someone from the local crew put a trash can in the way of the elevator door so that when it tried to close it would hit the trash can and re-open. It did this all night long. During the break between sets Healy was digging the rhythm of this elevator door constantly closing, hitting the trash can, and then opening. He had Mike ("Sco") put a mic up to it and run it out to the P.A. At the beginning of the set you may have noticed a bagging sound come from the p.a. ...Well that's what it was. Of course he turned it off for the music but he was testing it out for use during space. He added some reverb and walla .... a space machine. In addition, during space you had Nick holding up his walky talky to the mic while people were talking to him through it and the elevator did its thing. ... a little behind the scenes look at the wizard "pulling on the ropes and pulleys."

Archived