Ithaca Spoiler

John A

• Forum MVP

I'm from Ithaca, so I have connections. :P

Based on report of 1st two songs must be Charlotte 10-23-89. 2nd of the two California Earthquakes. Has DSO done that song before? Nice to see some arcane stuff (World to Give, Earthquake) getting thrown at Mattson out the gate!

Guest deadheadmike

Charlotte NC (10/23/89)

California Earthquake

Feel Like a Stranger

Loser

Walkin' Blues

Bertha

Masterpiece

Tennessee Jed

Let it Grow

Touch of Grey

Looks Like Rain

We Can Run But We Can't Hide

Crazy Fingers

Terrapin Station

drums

I Will Take You Home

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

Standing on the Moon

Turn on Your Love Light

Attics of My Life

They sound checked California Earthquake in Princeton .

gawd is that 1st good or what - one of my favorite sets from an outrageous tour...the stranger, loser, walking will blow you away...and then a mid-set bertha, masterpiece (beautiful), tn jed, grow - this is a classic '89 1st set and it shows why fall '89 is so damn good

my fav walkin of all-time, brent scatting on it - oh boy!!

• Forum MVP
gawd is that 1st good or what

This is a great first set and the one that gets all the pub, but the one the previous night was (to me) actually better...yet somehow, it goes unnoticed.

10-22-89 Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, N.C. (Sun)

1: Foolish Heart, Minglewood, Half Step, Queen Jane, Ramble On, BIODTL, Bird Song, Johnny B. Goode

• Forum MVP
never liked the 10/22 - that's the night that brent is totally, and i me an totally fucked up, right??

or maybe he f's the 2nd set to 10/23?? either the blow away or the we can run is loopy

It's the We Can Run...almost an instrumental part of the way--Brent sounds out of it that night with his playing and his vocals--he tried way too hard to make up for it on the Take You Home.

The Blow Away set OK but listen to that first set with the smokin Foolish>Minglewood (it's literally on fire) and the closing BIODTL>Birdsong>Johnny that is just as flammable.

On a totally and completely other subject, I was listening to 9/15/78 yesterday (Egypt) and couldn't believe the fuckups with Harry or Healy or whoever..complete songs without the vocals... working then not working, Garcia's guitar in and out, and the boys were shredding, but it was not to be due to the other fuck ups. Everyone says how terribly they played out there but that show was not on them--in fact, it would have been a great one had others not been burning so hard.

Guest Ammagamalin Crew
Definately one of my all time fav's......if people don't have this show.....you MUST and i mean MUST track it down!!!!

I can't wait to hear DSO tear it up!!

I sent my decks to these shows with a friend for his frist time taping and they came back messed up, he must have dropped them or something , but my recording equipment never worked well after those Charlotte shows, I then had to have equipment sent in from Boulder for midwest and east coast shows that I wanted to tape. Maybe DSO will play the first night next? or go to the Warlocks shows from that tour? Glad to see midwest shows turning up on the tour page! Thanks, I'm psyched to see Jeff mingle with the rest of these talented , dedicated musicians.

It's the We Can Run...almost an instrumental part of the way--Brent sounds out of it that night with his playing and his vocals--he tried way too hard to make up for it on the Take You Home.

The Blow Away set OK but listen to that first set with the smokin Foolish>Minglewood (it's literally on fire) and the closing BIODTL>Birdsong>Johnny that is just as flammable.

On a totally and completely other subject, I was listening to 9/15/78 yesterday (Egypt) and couldn't believe the fuckups with Harry or Healy or whoever..complete songs without the vocals... working then not working, Garcia's guitar in and out, and the boys were shredding, but it was not to be due to the other fuck ups. Everyone says how terribly they played out there but that show was not on them--in fact, it would have been a great one had others not been burning so hard.

Think it had something to do with setting up literally TONS of electronics in the middle of the desert not necessarily Healy having the sound all fucked up!!!! Hmmm electronics and sand.......yeah!!! lets play some shows at the pyramids!!! F'n hippies.....buwahahahahaha

This is a great first set and the one that gets all the pub, but the one the previous night was (to me) actually better...yet somehow, it goes unnoticed.

10-22-89 Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, N.C. (Sun)

1: Foolish Heart, Minglewood, Half Step, Queen Jane, Ramble On, BIODTL, Bird Song, Johnny B. Goode

Just my opinion .... but 10-22 pales in comparison to 10-23......listen to the tapes. Fall of '89 was a GREAT tour no matter how you look at it!

• Forum MVP
Think it had something to do with setting up literally TONS of electronics in the middle of the desert not necessarily Healy having the sound all fucked up!!!! Hmmm electronics and sand.......yeah!!! lets play some shows at the pyramids!!! F'n hippies.....buwahahahahaha

Just my opinion .... but 10-22 pales in comparison to 10-23......listen to the tapes. Fall of '89 was a GREAT tour no matter how you look at it!

Agreed that the Egypt setting presented some potential problems but you would think they would have figured them out after the first night..and how can you not fix Garcia's vocals for a whole song? Anyway, I know absolutely and positively nothing about the technical side of putting on a show but it does seem like someone was asleep at the wheel for a bunch of songs (hard to imagine that crew being distracted in that place, I know). I also listened to the rest of the second set today--the transfers were done in '04 so I'm not sure why I'm just getting around to listening to it now, (sometimes, I will listen to a whole spindle in the wrong order) but after what would have been a monstrous J Straw opener there were some not so great moments with Garcia missing lyrics and a disastrous Ship but for the most part the playing was pretty intense (I really should not have even brought this up here, so my apologies, but my wife seemed entirely disinterested).

As for Charlotte, I know I'm repeating myself Fritz...but the FIRST set of 10/22 is a better one than the first set from 10.23, at least to my ears.

They are both really good first sets but 10/22 is better by a nudge and more importantly and the reason I mentioned it--it gets no respect. Probably because it didn't have a silly earthquake song opening it.

And I agree that it's in the tapes--it's ALWAYS in the tapes (and the 10/22 is a nice Jan '07 Miller transfer).

a bunch of us got to see Dso do 10.22 charlotte back in june2008 in Englewood, n

i was there too torin and this dso show just did not do it for me, in fact one of their off nights (which are few and far between)

they redeemed themselves majorly at the klein when they did the spectrum '89 show (a much better show than both charlottes, btw)

foolish as an opener doesn't do it for me - i don't like this one and i don't like the hampton one, but i have not listened to 10.22 in a long time and my board was way muted, flat and lame - no spark to it, so maybe the new miller transfer will add some life to that pretty at least in my mind pedestrian set

Guest eyesofvermont

No one was actually at the Ithaca show? I'm shocked. You folks missed a GREAT one. I parked myself front and center against the stage, and except for the raised up speaker blocking my view a little, I felt like the boys were just playing for me. From right out of the gate Mattson was absolutely bringing it. I'm not that familiar with California Earthquake, but it was a nice tune to hear, and it was clear Mattson was comfortable and ready to rock. Then the first notes of Stranger burst out of the speakers, and I knew this was going to be a great night. Rob Eaton did his Bobby vocal magic, and we quickly arrived at the jam. Jeff absolutely destroyed the place with the sheets of sound pouring out of his guitar. The interplay between him and Eaton was so great to watch, as Eaton just stood in awe smiling, while at the same time jamming away in response to Mattson's incredible playing, a pattern that continued all night. By the time Jeff returned to the main riff signaling the end of the jam, my jaw was on the floor: this man can shred. They closed the tune, and I let out an elated "YEAH!" before anyone else could start cheering, and I'm not one to get animated or overly excited at shows. The Loser was killer, Jeff hitting the pinch harmonics just like Jerry did, right away in the first solo. Walkin' Blues isn't one of my favorite tunes, but as usual these guys pulled it off with finesse and style. The Bertha took a little while to get going if I remember correctly, but eventually, Mattson took off again; the man knows how to reach places with his guitar that I haven't heard in a long time (not to bash John K, I'm just accustomed to his excellent playing by now). Masterpiece was golden, though my memory's a little fuzzy at that point. Tennessee Jed was stupendous, Mattson handling the chord changes through the C F G jam like an absolute champ, rocking the hell out of the tune. And Let It Grow... you all know what that song can be. And it was. And more.

I'm not going to go into that level of detail on Set 2, but suffice it to say, it was everything Set 1 would have lead me to expect. Killer Touch of Grey opener, with the slowdown "We WILL get by" repeated just enough times, into an absolutely FANTASTIC Looks Like Rain, a We Can Run during which Barraco was channeling Brent so clearly, an absolutely FLAWless Crazy Fingers, including a killer G to C minor jam at the end, into a cosmic, powerful Terrapin, a really compelling Drums and Space, a sweet I Will Take You Home, a flying Goin' Down The Road, a Standing On The Moon that Mattson turned into a real rocker by the end, and a nice but not terribly noteworthy Lovelight (I think the boys were getting a little tired by this point). A gorgeous Attics was the encore, before which Eaton actually announced the show, because they ran out of time! Curfew at the State was midnight, so there was no time for filler. As Eaton said, "Time flies when you're having fun." And right he is.

11/18/09 was a damn special night in Ithaca. I saw a few taping rigs up and I REALLY hope someone's source makes it up on the Archive, because this is a show I want to hear again. I honestly think this one is worthy of an Eaton remaster also; I know I'd pay.

• Advisory Board

Fantastic review my friend!! I've been wanting to hear California Earthquake live for SOOOOO long, and of course it was played at a show I could not make it to... I hope it comes in the frequent rotation of songs for the Elective shows!!!!!

No one was actually at the Ithaca show? I'm shocked. You folks missed a GREAT one. I parked myself front and center against the stage, and except for the raised up speaker blocking my view a little, I felt like the boys were just playing for me. From right out of the gate Mattson was absolutely bringing it. I'm not that familiar with California Earthquake, but it was a nice tune to hear, and it was clear Mattson was comfortable and ready to rock. Then the first notes of Stranger burst out of the speakers, and I knew this was going to be a great night. Rob Eaton did his Bobby vocal magic, and we quickly arrived at the jam. Jeff absolutely destroyed the place with the sheets of sound pouring out of his guitar. The interplay between him and Eaton was so great to watch, as Eaton just stood in awe smiling, while at the same time jamming away in response to Mattson's incredible playing, a pattern that continued all night. By the time Jeff returned to the main riff signaling the end of the jam, my jaw was on the floor: this man can shred. They closed the tune, and I let out an elated "YEAH!" before anyone else could start cheering, and I'm not one to get animated or overly excited at shows. The Loser was killer, Jeff hitting the pinch harmonics just like Jerry did, right away in the first solo. Walkin' Blues isn't one of my favorite tunes, but as usual these guys pulled it off with finesse and style. The Bertha took a little while to get going if I remember correctly, but eventually, Mattson took off again; the man knows how to reach places with his guitar that I haven't heard in a long time (not to bash John K, I'm just accustomed to his excellent playing by now). Masterpiece was golden, though my memory's a little fuzzy at that point. Tennessee Jed was stupendous, Mattson handling the chord changes through the C F G jam like an absolute champ, rocking the hell out of the tune. And Let It Grow... you all know what that song can be. And it was. And more.

I'm not going to go into that level of detail on Set 2, but suffice it to say, it was everything Set 1 would have lead me to expect. Killer Touch of Grey opener, with the slowdown "We WILL get by" repeated just enough times, into an absolutely FANTASTIC Looks Like Rain, a We Can Run during which Barraco was channeling Brent so clearly, an absolutely FLAWless Crazy Fingers, including a killer G to C minor jam at the end, into a cosmic, powerful Terrapin, a really compelling Drums and Space, a sweet I Will Take You Home, a flying Goin' Down The Road, a Standing On The Moon that Mattson turned into a real rocker by the end, and a nice but not terribly noteworthy Lovelight (I think the boys were getting a little tired by this point). A gorgeous Attics was the encore, before which Eaton actually announced the show, because they ran out of time! Curfew at the State was midnight, so there was no time for filler. As Eaton said, "Time flies when you're having fun." And right he is.

11/18/09 was a damn special night in Ithaca. I saw a few taping rigs up and I REALLY hope someone's source makes it up on the Archive, because this is a show I want to hear again. I honestly think this one is worthy of an Eaton remaster also; I know I'd pay.

Archived