Bobby's Guitars

BigDad

OK, so I didn't see a huge amount of original Dead shows, but I simply don't remember the level of guitar-swapping from anybody, much less Bobby, that I saw Bobby doing in AP. He'd generally start a set with Pinky and then switch to the 335 for a while, and sometimes back to Pinky, sometimes stay on the 335 for the rest of the set. At times he was doing this in mid-song/jam and it was disconcerting (no pun intended) as you knew something was about to happen. It did not seem to be specifically song-related, as in Pinky for this song and 335 for that - it was as though he'd play Pinky and get pissed off at it for some reason and switch back to the trusty 335. Or maybe this is all just me seeing stuff that isn't there.

Can anyone shed some light on why multiple guitars now? (I don't recall seeing it before) Why the frantic swapping?

• Forum MVP
OK, so I didn't see a huge amount of original Dead shows, but I simply don't remember the level of guitar-swapping from anybody, much less Bobby, that I saw Bobby doing in AP. He'd generally start a set with Pinky and then switch to the 335 for a while, and sometimes back to Pinky, sometimes stay on the 335 for the rest of the set. At times he was doing this in mid-song/jam and it was disconcerting (no pun intended) as you knew something was about to happen. It did not seem to be specifically song-related, as in Pinky for this song and 335 for that - it was as though he'd play Pinky and get pissed off at it for some reason and switch back to the trusty 335. Or maybe this is all just me seeing stuff that isn't there.

Can anyone shed some light on why multiple guitars now? (I don't recall seeing it before) Why the frantic swapping?

I can't speak directly to the guitar swapping issue per se, but Weir has forever been ultra fussy about his gear. I've never seen another musician obsess that much on stage over his gear in my life......he's constantly fiddling with his amp or something. And yes, it is distracting and a tad bit absurd.

I was at a GD show (RFK '86?) when Weir's remote guitar gizmo was acting up. The rest of the band was standing around for about 1o minutes watching Weir and the techs scurrying about. Finally, in exasperation, Lesh steps up to the mic and proclaims that "Weir should just use a guitar cord like the rest of us human beings". Garcia chuckled and so did I.

I can't speak directly to the guitar swapping issue per se, but Weir has forever been ultra fussy about his gear. I've never seen another musician obsess that much on stage over his gear in my life......he's constantly fiddling with his amp or something. And yes, it is distracting and a tad bit absurd.

I was at a GD show (RFK '86?) when Weir's remote guitar gizmo was acting up. The rest of the band was standing around for about 1o minutes watching Weir and the techs scurrying about. Finally, in exasperation, Lesh steps up to the mic and proclaims that "Weir should just use a guitar cord like the rest of us human beings". Garcia chuckled and so did I.

You are absolutely right about this being distracting. He is constantly stopping his guitar playing in the middle of a song to go and screw around with his gear. A good example can be seen in this recent clip from the Furthur gig in Marin County. It IS indeed annoying, and I would expect the band finds it even more irritating when the rhythm guitar keeps dropping out of the sound. Almost seems like some obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Incidentally, listen to Jeff kicking ass on this song, and the reaction of Phil and Bob to his keyboard bombs. Love it!!!

Guest deadheadmike

Yup ... I watched him fiddle with his equipment all through the 80's and till 95 with the Grateful Dead ... seen him get really annoyed and kick his equipment ... the guitar changing thing has gotten much worse over the years with Rat Dog ...

• Forum MVP

The Dylan/Petty shows, the giant mud-pit on the field shows, the great herb drought of '86 shows, the last shows before Jerry's diabetic coma shows - was there. Bobby was a spaz then, and remains one now. Bless his tinkerin' soul...

Guest deadheadmike
can Bobby do ANYthing without y'all on this board dissin' him??!!!!!! F%#K!!!!!!!!

"uh-oh, Bobby scratched his ass...let's bitch about it for the next 3 days..."

F%&ken Bobby ... He better stop scratching his ass , thats f*#ked up ... I've been watching him scratch his ass for the last 30 years and I'm sick of it ... get your ass checked by a Dr. already , PLEASE !!!

• Forum MVP
can Bobby do ANYthing without y'all on this board dissin' him??!!!!!! F%#K!!!!!!!!

I wonder when Bobby will trim that explosion of hair on his face............ I saw him doing an interview the other day and half a turkey sandwich fell outta that thing....what the hell is his problem..............damn crazy facial hair f%#ker...

Guest deadheadmike
I wonder when Bobby will trim that explosion of hair on his face............ I saw him doing an interview the other day and half a turkey sandwich fell outta that thing....what the hell is his problem..............damn crazy facial hair f%#ker...

That beard is HORRIBLE !!! was the sandwich made with Boars Head turkey , thats a good sandwich if it was ???

:)

seen him get really annoyed and kick his equipment ... the guitar changing thing has gotten much WORSE over the years with Rat Dog ...

In general so has _ _ _ _ _ ! -Well never mind, let's just say it makes me want to dance in the less crowded foyers instead of watching his obsessive fiddling around with equip.

Maybe he's perfected his fiddling with Ratdog ? :wacko:

Peace,

Rob

You know what kills me about it is.... alot of the people that complain about all the negativity at some other rooms or sites are the same people that are all over Phil and Bob's shit on this site.....listen people.....if you don't like what's going on with Furthur right now, or DSO right now, maybe its time to take a break for awhile.....let your minds open up once again to realize why it was you fell in love with this music in the first place......yes things are most certainly different lately.....but change happens folks - sometimes for the good......sometimes for the bad......just seems like everyone needs to relax abit around here lately. Take a deep breath.....go outside and enjoy the outdoors and realize.....you know, things could be alot worse off!

You guys are killin me :rofl:

I don't like Bobby anymore now than I did or have for the last 30 years

always bothered me, no change there

I appreciate his ability to play stellar rhythmic landscapes for the lead guitar player to dance across

I admire some of his songs

but hey pick a guitar already

-e

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

The Captain Caveman fuzz slays me... Bobby used to be such the pretty boy, but gave it all up for the dirt farmer look... I don't mind it so much, since I am also of the 'hirsute' persuasion, but you get used to seeing an old friend look a certain way for their entire life.. It just kinda throws you off a little bit when they change like that.

On the gear issue, remember the time he was kicking the crap out of his amp or rack on 6/21/89 at Shoreline? That was pretty freaking hilarious. We got a nice impromptu version of 'Hideaway' out of the ashes though...

I think everybody got a chance to see all that because it was on pay-per-view...

Guest deadheadmike

You know what kills me about it is.... alot of the people that complain about all the negativity at some other rooms or sites are the same people that are all over Phil and Bob's shit on this site.....listen people.....if you don't like what's going on with Furthur right now, or DSO right now, maybe its time to take a break for awhile.....let your minds open up once again to realize why it was you fell in love with this music in the first place......yes things are most certainly different lately.....but change happens folks - sometimes for the good......sometimes for the bad......just seems like everyone needs to relax abit around here lately. Take a deep breath.....go outside and enjoy the outdoors and realize.....you know, things could be alot worse off!

Lighten up ... we're just having some fun discussing the obvious , and we are allowed to do so ...

Incidentally, listen to Jeff kicking ass on this song, and the reaction of Phil and Bob to his keyboard bombs. Love it!!!

Jeff throws it down!!! He's truly the beast on keys! His jazz background shines through in really enhancing the acid-jazz inflection in some of Furthur's jamming in general, and I'm LOVING it!

Lighten up ... we're just having some fun discussing the obvious , and we are allowed to do so ...

Mike -

Discussing is one thing.....I was talking about some of the more mean spirited comments being thrown around re: Bob and Phil. Without them we wouldn't be here..... 'nuff said.

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel
Mike -

Discussing is one thing.....I was talking about some of the more mean spirited comments being thrown around re: Bob and Phil. Without them we wouldn't be here..... 'nuff said.

As long as the boys have been playing, we've been giving them shit... You just didn't hear it from so many angles because we had only the parking lot rather than the internet.

I still feel bad for some of the Brent comments so many of us used to make...

Point is, if you're a celebrity, it's gonna happen.

Good reason to never become famous for anything... (oh Tiger...)

Anyway, I didn't see any genuinely ugly comments in this thread until it stopped being tongue-in-cheek.

Ragging on Bobby is a time-honored tradition. Keep up the good work kids!

Back to pink guitars and short-shorts... :lol:

Guest deadheadmike
As long as the boys have been playing, we've been giving them shit... You just didn't hear it from so many angles because we had only the parking lot rather than the internet.

I still feel bad for some of the Brent comments so many of us used to make...

Point is, if you're a celebrity, it's gonna happen.

Good reason to never become famous for anything... (oh Tiger...)

Anyway, I didn't see any genuinely ugly comments in this thread until it stopped being tongue-in-cheek.

Ragging on Bobby is a time-honored tradition. Keep up the good work kids!

Back to pink guitars and short-shorts... :lol:

;)

bobweir.jpg

;)

bobweir.jpg

Guess i wasn't neccessarily talking about this specific thread.....I mean how can you not rag on Weir for those shorts!!! And how many pairs of them did he have throughout the years???? NO problem with that type stuff, as has been said its been going on for years. Like i said i was talking more of the mean-spirited stuff thats being said such as Weir purposefully sabotaging Garcia's songs....Phil only grabbing JK for Furthur to destroy DSO....that is the senseless type stuff to which i was refering. Guess I just reached a breaking point when i saw this thread bitching about Weir and his equipment.....it was like greeeaaatttttt, now its time for folks to start bitching about things that have been going on for YEARS! It was actually one of the first things i noticed back in '85 at my first show.....man that rythym guitarist plays like no one i have ever heard but what the fuck with his constant monkeying around with things.......thats a completely different animal than some things being said on other threads (your right, not on this one....). Guess i should have posted the response on one of those threads.....carry on making fun of Bobbys short shorts and rather odd choice of guitar color

On the Bruce Hornsby "Intersections" boxed-set compilation, there is a video on the DVD of the GD performing TLEO at Shoreline on May 10, 1991. I'm not sure if this video is also available in some other GD video release. During the song, Bobby goes into another one of his extensive gear tweeking exercises. What is classic is seeing Jerry constantly turning his head and peering over in the direction of the AWOL rhythm guitar player. Even though Jerry doesn't show much of an expression, it seems clear to me that he is thinking "Hey Weir, quit screwing around with those knobs and play your friggin' guitar!" Pretty funny to see.

BTW: This boxed set is really a great introduction to those who might not be real familiar with just how amazingly talented Bruce is. From playing The Mighty Quinn with BB King, to doing the Star Spangled Banner with Branford Marsalis before a World Series game, to playing Comfortably Numb with Roger Waters, to playing and singing solo Lennon's Imagine in DC to an audience including the President,... He does it all!

Archived