4.Cosmic Charlie

5.The Wheel

6.Here Comes Sunshine

7.Uncle John's Band

8.Cream Puff War

9.Candyman

10.Truckin'

Donor Rap

Thanks for coming, that's it for tonight!

....NO Cream Puff...it twas born Cross eyed....Killer times...plenty of dance space...Well done gig. About 200 people in a 225 capacity. The music was beautiful, crowd was great. I dreamt that this forum was a place of powerful words of encouragment and praise of the boys...Once again it is embarrassing....Why not be positive its so much more enjoyable to read.....

not if Phil sang it LOL

LOL....????? You have broken records(i do believe) with your rock steady ability to post on almost every thread on this forum, in a very short period of time. It is commendable.... However how many of the posts have your signature smack talk lingering in the folds. Why? Do you really want to etch this displeasure into your legacy? This is the identity that you would like to make for yourself? Its all a lesson to me, i suppose. I just see your enthusiasm and love for the music to be a brighter light to shine than your cliche jabs that are really getting old. Your chosen name is DEADHEADmike.....Live it out.Let it shine. Be an example to the younger heads. It really is a waste of time. At this point, I think everyone gets your point, and its really not all that popular.....Peace on the dance floor.....TY

Guest deadheadmike
LOL....????? You have broken records(i do believe) with your rock steady ability to post on almost every thread on this forum, in a very short period of time. It is commendable.... However how many of the posts have your signature smack talk lingering in the folds. Why? Do you really want to etch this displeasure into your legacy? This is the identity that you would like to make for yourself? Its all a lesson to me, i suppose. I just see your enthusiasm and love for the music to be a brighter light to shine than your cliche jabs that are really getting old. Your chosen name is DEADHEADmike.....Live it out.Let it shine. Be an example to the younger heads. It really is a waste of time. At this point, I think everyone gets your point, and its really not all that popular.....Peace on the dance floor.....TY

There is an ignore feature on this forum ... I suggest you put me on ignore .

• Forum MVP

It's funny how hard it is to find out who sang what. Just like people have a difficult time remembering the list (which is pretty understandable with these guys, especially when the GD made it easy with alternating Garcia/Weir/Garcia/Weir, there seems to be some difficulty in remembering who took the vocals on the Garcia songs. I think everything just gets jumbled up in their heads and it makes sense that can happen with these songs, with no order or structure to them but with who sings them? It's hard to understand how someone who just saw the show 20 minutes before can't give a basic recall who sang lead vocals on a song.

Here's what I got...

Shakedown (JK)

JackStraw (PL with the Garcia verse)

Eyes (PL)

Cosmic Charlie (BW&PL)

Wheel > (ALL)

Here Come Sunshine > (JK)

Uncle John's Band (BW&PL)

Born Cross Eyed

Candyman (JK)

Truckin

• Forum MVP
Your chosen name is DEADHEADmike.....Live it out.Let it shine. Be an example to the younger heads.

And skip through the rainbow filled, marshmellow lined, daffadile colored streets making sure to hug every tree you pass!

Give me a break. Lighten up bro. For everyone's sake.

Please stop taking things so seriously here...ok?

It will make life easier for you I think--and all of us too.

Regarding the vocals, I would guess that the vast majority here would agree that Phil is just not the man who should be singing some of these songs. Thus, Mike's point IS popular, and I see no reason expressing it should be repressed. It's Phil's band, so he can do whatever he feels like, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Sometimes he does a decent job, against all expectations. A good example of this to my ears was Peggy-O in one of the east coast shows. It was a significant reworking of the song into a more country oriented performance, and it was nice. I think JK would still have been better, but it was not something that made me cringe. On the other hand, his vocals on Franklin's was absolutely horrible. He completely ruined this song with the patented woofing delivery. During the GD years, Phil realized that he simply has a lousy singing voice, and he wisely kept silent. For years, all of those "Let Phil Sing" chants and signs were ignored and he simply played some of the best damn bass in the music industry. I for one wish he would go back to this philosophy. As with all vocalists, the years do not help. He was never good as a young man, and he has gotten worse at 70 years. I would love to see Furthur reach it's full potential, but it isn't going to happen with some of the vocal choices being made. I also have some reservations about Bobby on this topic, with his Shatneresque phrasing, but at least he still has a nice voice. I wish Phil and Bob would simply do the best for this music, and not be concentrating as much on what just gives them the most personal satisfaction.

• Forum MVP
It's hard to understand how someone who just saw the show 20 minutes before can't give a basic recall who sang lead vocals on a song.

Unfathomable would be a term that quickly comes to mind.

So, it looks as if the "public rehearsal" format is now established as a single set show. Although these sets seem to encompass about 2/3 to 3/4 of a 2 set "standard Furthur show".

Regarding the vocals, I would guess that the vast majority here would agree that Phil is just not the man who should be singing some of these songs. Thus, Mike's point IS popular, and I see no reason expressing it should be repressed.

I stand corrected. I agree that on this forum it is popular to not like phil's singing. It rings loud and I can't help being embarrassed by it. I suppose I live in a sheltered world of deadheads that give thanks for our life that has been so enriched through the experience of their music. I have learned through this forum that this experience is not shared in the same way by everyone and thats OK. There really seems like there is no room for praise for the boys here. The overall current moves towards insults rather than praise. Feel free to proudly proclaim your opinions without my "marshmellowy" commentary...Peace

Archived