Ears In Cali?

gr8fulauditors

I stand corrected. I agree that on this forum it is popular to not like phil's singing. It rings loud and I can't help being embarrassed by it. I suppose I live in a sheltered world of deadheads that give thanks for our life that has been so enriched through the experience of their music. I have learned through this forum that this experience is not shared in the same way by everyone and thats OK. There really seems like there is no room for praise for the boys here. The overall current moves towards insults rather than praise. Feel free to proudly proclaim your opinions without my "marshmellowy" commentary...Peace

There are insults, and there is critical evaluation. They are NOT the same thing. I would agree that some of the commentary is more in the insult catagory, and I've done some of it myself. I'm now trying to simply offer my opinion on what this band is doing right and what it could be doing better. I'm sure virtually everyone here has great respect and love for Phil and Bob for their contributions to this music. It is for that reason I would like to see them do the best job possible with Furthur. Personally, I am very sad that this project has terminated JK's involvement with DSO. I won't hide my feelings that I would rather see JK still playing next to Rob Eaton, who I consider to now be playing better Dead rhythm guitar than Bob Weir--the man who invented it. Sorry, but that is what my ears are telling me. However, since JK has indeed left DSO, I would like to see the best possble music result from it. Thus, I won't praise the original GD members when I think they are holding back the guy they nabbed from DSO, and not letting him make this music as great as it could be. Everyone can have their own opinion, but when I hear Phil croaking his way through some beautiful Garcia/Hunter creation when there is someone standing on the stage that can do it right, I think it is sort of an insult to Jerry.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love repeating myself...must be why i have children...or post on this board...one, the other, or both...anyhoo, why is there SO much dissin' & negativity towards our heroes? why is there NOT more thanks for there still being this music we ALL love? i {and a relatively few others {{thanks Ty}} on here} applaud the music for the fact that it is still here {and who knows, as life can be SO unexpectingly abrupt, how long we actually will have it?}...what would y'all naysayers prefer? there be no Furthur exploration? seriously, in evolution there is always change...

oh, Ty, perhaps the fire your stokin' with your commentary is to roast your marshmallows...haha...mmmm, s'mores...

i love repeating myself...must be why i have children...or post on this board...one, the other, or both...anyhoo, why is there SO much dissin' & negativity towards our heroes? why is there NOT more thanks for there still being this music we ALL love? i {and a relatively few others {{thanks Ty}} on here} applaud the music for the fact that it is still here {and who knows, as life can be SO unexpectingly abrupt, how long we actually will have it?}...what would y'all naysayers prefer? there be no Furthur exploration? seriously, in evolution there is always change...

I would counter that the music was ALREADY here, and DSO was doing it the best. I'm sorry, but as much as I love GD music and I deeply respect Phil and Bob for their contributions to it-- neither of them are people I would refer to as my "heroes". Now that JK has joined up with them, I just want to see this reach it's potential, and not be held back by some attitudes of the elder members.

I would counter that the music was ALREADY here, and DSO was doing it the best. I'm sorry, but as much as I love GD music and I deeply respect Phil and Bob for their contributions to it-- neither of them are people I would refer to as my "heroes". Now that JK has joined up with them, I just want to see this reach it's potential, and not be held back by some attitudes of the elder members.

what quatifies "its potential" other than another's opinion of what "its potential" is? was the Grateful Dead ONLY Jerry? Phil & Bob's contributions to it? these guys ARE it, duh!!!

speaking of singers

no one mentioned the back up girls, Zoe and Elizabeth....

no complaints here

just thought they deserved a mention

-e

"holding back the guy they nabbed from DSO"

I believe JK left DSO voluntarily and willingly

and I doubt he would concur they are holding him back

all love to JK

live the dream

be the dream

God Bless

keep on dancing & smiling and dancing some more

Guest deadheadmike
I stand corrected. I agree that on this forum it is popular to not like phil's singing. It rings loud and I can't help being embarrassed by it. I suppose I live in a sheltered world of deadheads that give thanks for our life that has been so enriched through the experience of their music. I have learned through this forum that this experience is not shared in the same way by everyone and thats OK. There really seems like there is no room for praise for the boys here. The overall current moves towards insults rather than praise. Feel free to proudly proclaim your opinions without my "marshmellowy" commentary...Peace

There is plenty of room for praise ... there is plenty of room to discuss and voice praise ... there is room to be critical about the music we all love and there is room to voice and discuss that also ... you seem to be singling me out lately for my opinions and thats OK , I have very thick skin ... I believe you have the right to profess your love for everything Furthur and whomever wants to express their distaste in certain aspects of Furthur has that right also ... I do believe that attacking the subject and not the person for their opinions would be a much more Democratic way to go thus gaining more respect for opposing opinions ... Peace and Love !!!

EDIT :

not if Phil sang it LOL

and this was not meant to antagonize anyone and IMHO does not deserve this much attention or the right to create the controversy that it did .

For my two cents:

We are so incredibly blessed to have all this amazing live Grateful Dead music surrounding us! These are the good ol' days folks, and I for one am treasuring every moment of it!

I had a fantastic time last night, felt amazingly fortunate and appreciative to be there, and danced the night away with fellow fans. The energy was really uplifting and positive, the music well played, and there were good vibes all around!

I'm looking forward to more tonight, and won't be complaining, criticizing, or "should-ing" on anyone.

Maybe it would be helpful to reflect on what we can appreciate about this music, and take the time to notice how extraordinarily lucky we all are! This is a very cool time in the evolution and history of our favorite music!!!

For my two cents:

We are so incredibly blessed to have all this amazing live Grateful Dead music surrounding us! These are the good ol' days folks, and I for one am treasuring every moment of it!

I had a fantastic time last night, felt amazingly fortunate and appreciative to be there, and danced the night away with fellow fans. The energy was really uplifting and positive, the music well played, and there were good vibes all around!

I'm looking forward to more tonight, and won't be complaining, criticizing, or "should-ing" on anyone.

Maybe it would be helpful to reflect on what we can appreciate about this music, and take the time to notice how extraordinarily lucky we all are! This is a very cool time in the evolution and history of our favorite music!!!

YES!!!!! Thank you :-)

• Forum MVP
There is plenty of room for praise ... there is plenty of room to discuss and voice praise ... there is room to be critical about the music we all love and there is room to voice and discuss that also ... you seem to be singling me out lately for my opinions and thats OK , I have very thick skin ... I believe you have the right to profess your love for everything Furthur and whomever wants to express their distaste in certain aspects of Furthur has that right also ... I do believe that attacking the subject and not the person for their opinions would be a much more Democratic way to go thus gaining more respect for opposing opinions ... Peace and Love !!!

EDIT :

and this was not meant to antagonize anyone and IMHO does not deserve this much attention or the right to create the controversy that it did .

Fuckin HIPPY. Hope PHIL sings the whole show tonight...

(You East coasters are a critical group!)

Guest deadheadmike
Fuckin HIPPY. Hope PHIL sings the whole show tonight...

(You East coasters are a critical group!)

That would be EPIC .

we're critical and don't forget , opinionated . ;)

There are insults, and there is critical evaluation. ... Thus, I won't praise the original GD members when I think they are holding back the guy they nabbed from DSO, and not letting him make this music as great as it could be.

neutrino, love, john was not nabbed from dso, he ran there full tilt when given the chance. as i believe any musician of this genre would do. and i would venture to say that john is liking what

I guess I'll just shut up on this subject. It seems that expressing anything negative or critical is not welcome among some here. I will now just state that I most certainly DO NOT subscribe to the attitude that we should all just be so grateful that Phil and Bob are still with us and making music, and we should have nothing negative to say about any musical decisions they make. I will be seeing the guys this week in SF, and I'm looking forward to it. If I can get a ticket to Mill Valley, I'll also be there, and I'm sure I'll have a big grin on my face at every show. However, if Phil sings Stella Blue or some other travesty, I will not accept this as something to be grateful for. Things seem to be continually improving since I saw JK silently mouthing Uncle John's Band in Oakland, while Phil and Bobby took all the vocals. I hope this trend continues.

• Forum MVP
maybe we just don't care who sang or what they played

it's all about being there - in the moment

There are people that don't care and that's all well and good--but you would think these people would be able to recall who sang the song the Shakedown street that took place less than an hour before...no?

As an aside--I am not able to read anything regarding vocals and preference anymore. I just skip it no matter what forum it's in. It's been that way since about a week after the first Fox show.

It's kind of funny--I just can't do it.

• Forum MVP
"but you would think these people would be able to recall who sang the song the Shakedown street that took place less than an hour before...no?"

No. Was there, don't remember, don't care....

I remember dancing and having a great time!!!

smiles all around

Wow...you don't remember who sang the Shakedown?

OK.

Fair enough.

See you tonight!

no one mentioned the back up girls, Zoe and Elizabeth....

Back up vocals? Hadn't heard of this..

From Phil Zone. Great review...Have fun tonight if you're one of the Lucky Ones!!

Ted Silverman (Treblemaker) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:41 pm: Edit Post

Review of Furthur at the Masonic Lodge in Mill Valley, CA

Sunday, December 27, 2009

By Ted Silverman (www.WorldWideTed.com)

As Furthur evolves and solidifies as a working unit they have decided to use a thinly veiled form of stealth to set up a few small club dates in order to prepare for the New Year

That would be EPIC .

we're critical and don't forget , opinionated . ;)

Mike-I think we better get together soon....It seems you could use some of my new found positivity only attitude !

Repeat after me: It's all good/We are blessed to see this band, who cares who sings/etc....

Peace,

Rob

Guest deadheadmike
Mike-I think we better get together soon....It seems you could use some of my new found positivity only attitude !

Repeat after me: It's all good/We are blessed to see this band, who cares who sings/etc....

Peace,

Rob

Yeah , OK ... :rofl:

I actually like Furthur (because of JK) and really enjoyed the last show I saw in Asbury and may hop on a plane in the future to check out some west coast shows ... this whole thing that happened on this thread today is a complete over reaction , I'm pretty amazed at how far it all went and the thing that really confuses me is that Sister Bluebird called neutrino LOVE , she never calls me love , and I thought we had a thing :wub: , I guess not :( ...

• Forum MVP
Yeah , OK ... :rofl:

I actually like Furthur (because of JK) and really enjoyed the last show I saw in Asbury and may hop on a plane in the future to check out some west coast shows ... this whole thing that happened on this thread today is a complete over reaction , I'm pretty amazed at how far it all went and the thing that really confuses me is that Sister Bluebird called neutrino LOVE , she never calls me love , and I thought we had a thing :wub: , I guess not :( ...

Mike, love,

There is no need to be a heat merchant.

Just remember to dance and be positive when at the show and in the moment. Feel free to say speak your mind on the forums. If I don't find someone's opinion worth while, I just don't respond.

Lets keep it civil. Its all love here

Guest deadheadmike
Mike, love,

There is no need to be a heat merchant.

Just remember to dance and be positive when at the show and in the moment. Feel free to say speak your mind on the forums. If I don't find someone's opinion worth while, I just don't respond.

Lets keep it civil. Its all love here

me , a heat merchant , NEVER !!! :rofl:

Why aren't you at the NORVA Tonight ????????

Archived