The National, Richmond

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

June 28th 1985

Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA (6/28/85)

Cold Rain and Snow

Promised Land

Ramble on Rose

Down in the Bottom

Ain't Superstitious

Bird Song

Comes a Time

Deal

Music Never Stopped

Tom Thumb's Blues

Estimated Prophet

Terrapin Station

drums

I Need a Miracle

Morning Dew

Throwin' Stones

Not Fade Away

Day Job

Filler: Mr. Charlie

Inevitability, I will be asked what I think. So I figured I just let everyone know that JK w DSO was IT for me. I've done Phish tour (4 or 5 night run), Phil and Friends (4 or 5 night run), Ratdog (4 to 5 night run), SCI (only a few shows), etc...DSO w JK was IT for ME. The caps are intentional. That why I kept coming back over and over and over again. I never saw the GD, but from what I've experienced and grown to appreciate through the quality of recordings avail (thank you tapers); DSO, simply put, more full captured the GD sound. In terms of at home listening, I mostly stick with recordings of the Good Ol Grateful Dead. That is what mostly does it for me, although I will listen to DSO shows I was at or have heard people talk about from time to time. I prefer GD to DSO for at home listening. DSO was the best live act on the planet in MY mind.

Now, things have changed....

I will keep you guys posted on Furthur. I think they deserve a careful and thorough listen. I am excited to listen to Phil and Bobby play for the first time in years. I think JK is pushing them in positive directions and JK is becoming a better player through playing with Phil and Bobby. I do believe JK could be better utilized by Phil and Bobby by allowing him to use his special talents to deliver the moving experience that sometimes his vocals are necessary to achieve within Furthur's current line-up. Nevertheless, I can't wait to spend time dancing with you guys at some Furthur shows down the line.

Now to DSO

DSO w JM is not DSO w JK. Different does not have to be better or worse just simply different. After tonight's show and previous shows I have attended, DSO w JM can deliver a moving night of listening to the music of the GD. They continue to pay tribute and respect to the music we all love and cherish. DSO w JM is a powerful musical experience and one I plan to return to share part in many many times. JK may have been an integral part of what got me on the DSO bus, but I am not ready to give up my seat and I still plan to see this band on a regular basis.

Essentially, I think DSO w its current line up and Furthur are both bands worth listening too.

I love the GD. I am not going to stop seeing GD music played live. I plan to dance and share positive energy at whatever show I attend.

Whether at DSO or Furthur, I plan to spin, dance, move, stomp, and yes sometimes scream lyrics and sing along. I'm going to do the best I can to share my energy through movement and my own creative expression. Please come, dance, and share in the magic that both of these bands are capable of. If you want to complain, cry go somewhere else. I'm still here to have fun.

Oh yeah. The show.

Some great great moments throughout. I loved the bluesy, almost migglewood versions of down in the bottom and aint superstitious. The comes a time was a moving experience. Couldn't really hear much of Just like Thumb due to poor crowd positioning and noisy talkers on my part. Got back with my peoples in the balcony so I could hear and the rest of the show was great. Loved the Morning Dew/ Throwing Stones. The transitions could use some work in my opinion and I am sure that will come from playing with one another. DSO w JM is worth the price of admission and still delivers a magical GD music experience. Jeff doesn't sound like John. John doesn't sound like Jerry. They both sound sincere and impart emotion within the audience when they sing. If you can't hear it w JM, listen more carefully and maybe you need to hear within it yourself. Essentially, no problems with getting used to Jeff singing with DSO if that is the direction that Jeff and DSO decide to go.

I come to dance and enjoy myself at every show I attend.

• Forum MVP
was the Tom Thumb's Blues played like that particular show? all slow & weird?

They don't do that sakada...it's just a set list of songs and they play them how they feel like playing them on that night--while staying true to that period/era.

This show's set list in imprinted in so many of our brains because it's just such a special show. My favorite moment in this show filled with special moments is the quiet interplay between Garcia and Brent, before the manic frenzy of the final jam in Dew. It is so freaking beautiful it's almost beyond comprehension.

We know why the band opened up this legendary 80s second set with Music because Eaton told us what happened during half time--the story about Bob, in his classic style, imploring the band that they owe it to the fans to give it their best effort and go out for that second set in not so perfect conditions--and Healy talking about the fog and how it created better acoustics that night.

Rob--you must have hundreds of these stories--like the one from 5/5/77--you're pick for the best SSDD-- with Weir being transfixed while looking at Garcia shred a Johnny solo while on one knee, and being so captivated by what Jerry was doing that he hit his head on his mic in his haste to not be late for that final verse?

These stories are GOLD! You gotta keep hitting us with some of these!

I was at this show and it rained really, really hard for hours and hours. We were all soaked, uncomfortable, and trudging through mud. It was remarkably shitty weather for an outdoor show!

But I also remember enjoying the music and being thrilled to be there. Glad to hear Bobby had our backs for getting out there and playing that amazing second set! Ha!

• Forum MVP
I was at this show and it rained really, really hard for hours and hours. We were all soaked, uncomfortable, and trudging through mud. It was remarkably shitty weather for an outdoor show!

But I also remember enjoying the music and being thrilled to be there. Glad to hear Bobby had our backs for getting out there and playing that amazing second set! Ha!

I too was at the original show in '85. From what I can remember ( :rolleyes: ) it was a great time.........

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I love hearing those stories DStone... I've never seen this show and really need to listen to it. Didn't know Comes A Time and Morning Dew would go down in the same show.

Is this the same show where Phil played The Other One intro into I Need A Miracle?

Archived