Jam>

Time>(PL)

Uncle Johns Band(PL)

After Midnight(JK)

Set 3

Golden Road>

Let it Grow>

Cryptical(That's It For The Other One)Envelopment>

Quadlibet for Tenderfeet>( The Other One Jam)

Born Cross Eyed>

So Many Roads>

St.Stephen>

The Eleven>

Not Fade Away

Donor Rap

E.Sugar Mag

SSDD

• Forum MVP

So proud of our boy JK bleepin' & tweetin' through Shakedown like he was born to do it. Jerry is smilin' down - wonder if he can stream gdradio.net in heaven...? Everybody sounds ON tonight!! Love it!

Jack Straw from Wichita, Phil put your mic down..... (LOL, love ya Phil, not your tune)

Mama Tried, crisp, in sync, had to get up and dance!!

Candyman, melts in your mind, not in your hands........ on flippin' fire!!!

Weir on that Loose Lucy like Tiger Woods on a stripper....turn that shit up,.. I need another rum&coke!

Phil treating Viola like Bagdad.....BOMBED that mofo.

Boilerplate Truckin' - big ol' Phil bombs, sweet JK jams, Weir old school, Chimenti spot on.

Play-by-Play brought to you by Captain Morgan (I'm striking the pose now) and Diet Coke.....I'm out, Happy 2010!!

• Forum MVP
Weir on that Loose Lucy like Tiger Woods on a stripper....turn that shit up,.. I need another rum&coke!

That just might be quote of the year. Sounds like everyone is having fun. Hopefully we get to go even Furthur in 2010!!! Happy New Year everyone!!! :cheers:

I bet Time was SICK Prob(PL)

So Many Roads most likely (BW)

If you are up go to gdradio.net and pick up the 2nd set NOW,heading into Darkstar

I applaude the effort BUT.........

The music is there but Phil sang Time...

along with the backup girls...

I LOVE Phil but this would make David and Roger CRY real tears!!!!!!

He BUTCHERS this....

Just looking at the setlists makes me wish it were February. Listening to the end of the third set on gdradio and these guys are sounding real tight. Phil and Bob are really letting JK do his thing and as we all know he can certainly throw it down!!!!! This Futhur thing is only going to get better IMHO.

Happy 2010!!!!!!!!!!! See you on the road in Feb.

P.S. Saw both nights in Asbury and the shit went down on Sunday night!!! Anybody see Phil fistbump JK after the Help/Slip/Frank!!!! :icon14:

I'm still too exhausted to write a full review. However, So Many Roads with JK was absolutely sublime!

Jack Straw was completely off the chart. Jeff was working this really hard in the final jam and the place was going apeshit. The next thing you see is JK telling looking across the stage at Jeff and communicating that he wants to take over this train. He hits a pedal and absolutely shreds this song!!! I can't wait to hear this one again.

Overall, another really good show, but I kind of felt that the extra time the band had led to some jams that were a little too long and unfocused for my taste. It may have been just the mood I was in last night, but I sometimes felt myself thinking they should move on to another song. However, I'm sure not complaining! The midnight madness on the floor with Golden Road really brought back some great memories.

• Forum MVP

For me this night was head and tails above the night before. I felt that all the songs they had played two nights before in Marin were better versions. The show had some good moments but one moment captured the night for me and it was on the Fire. John did a nice first solo after the first verse and then after the 'almost ablaze' verse Jeff did a beautiful solo. The band was cooking as John was singing the 3rd verse (Long distance runner)--they were loose and John was ready to let it fly for that solo, when Phil almost jumps out of his shoes to get John's attention. John doesn't notice at fist but then does and it's clear that John gets whatever Phil is communicating through body language and immediately starts to play the ending of Fire. I would love to be a close friend of Phil so I could ask him "Hey, how come you didn't want John to take that last solo on Fire last night?" It was really strange. Since when has Phil been against a guitarist bringing the house down? John was going to do something special right there---everyone could feel it and I it's hard to get why Phil didn't want that to happen.

Warning--some bitching about vocals comming up--read at your own peril: I also get Phil taking the Garcia verse "Wish I was a headlight" on the Rider but what I don't get is why they don't want John's voice in the mix to add to the texture of the group verses. This is I know You Rider and John's voice in that is only going to make the verses sound better, more complex. They do the same thing with Straw, Viola Lee and UJB--this has nothing to do with whose singing the leads, it has everything to do with making the song sound more full, more balanced. I don't care about who sings lead but it doesn't make sense not to use all those voices since they are all good together. I think they might change this on some of those songs--especially Rider because it seems pretty obvious.

Anyway....last night was a great night of music. It was just a great night. Luckily I saw a friend from the GD days in the balcony with wonderful seats and he had an extra one for me which I jumped on because the floor at this place can be a little brutal. The Shakedown and Straw were quite the left-right combo to open the show and that's they way the whole night was played--every song just sparkled.

Quite frankly, I thought Phil did an absolutely amazing job with the Time cover. It was like hearing him sing at Hearshey Park--those impassioned vocals that are so Phil--so uplifting and so real. It worked perfectly. So much for the whole Dark Side and I, for one, was very happy about that. The Time was perfect--they nailed it and if they had tried to do more, it would have probably not been close to as good. I also like how they do D star with Phil singing the first verse and then Bob and then John--it works so well on this historic song(which doesn't mean that have to do likewise on the Dew!).

The Roads was just fucking insane. The whole ballad thing and who's singing what and Weir taking the Standing the night before and wrecking it (although his Weir screams on "Be with You! were...just classic Bob)...when John started to play the chords from Roads and stepped up to the mic to sing, the place (and myself) was awash in utter and complete ecstasy. And John delivered a mammoth version--basically devastating everyone in the place.

It was a great NYE show with all the pomp and circumstance one could ask for and some fucking fantastic and poweful music. I was really happy to have been there.

Seeing Phil's genius mesh with John's genius is a thing of beauty--it really is.

• Forum MVP

DStone, I could not agree more with what you had said about I Know You Rider... this also is true with Uncle John's Band. It is completely external of singing leads... to me, it just doesn't make sense to have John not being a part of the harmonies. It's almost weird that they do that.

I also get the same feelings as you with Phil when he sings things like Time or Strawberry Fields... his voice is so uplifting and real.

I cannot wait to hear that So Many Roads.

DStone, I could not agree more with what you had said about I Know You Rider... this also is true with Uncle John's Band. It is completely external of singing leads... to me, it just doesn't make sense to have John not being a part of the harmonies. It's almost weird that they do that.

I also get the same feelings as you with Phil when he sings things like Time or Strawberry Fields... his voice is so uplifting and real.

I cannot wait to hear that So Many Roads.

What David said! The 30th show was choppy for me in terms of energy BUT last night was the reason I keep coming back for more...Energy was full on from front to back...from the opening notes of Shakedown till the last note of SSDD! Big joy up there on that stage that just permeated the room last night...Lots of loving vibes that succeeded in transforming that concrete sarcophagus into a shower of musical pearls...SO MANY ROADS...I literally could feel everyones heart open and the sweetness of ole' Jerry filled the air...it was THE moment of the night for me...for those upset with vocal choices I truly believe you are not seeing the forest for the trees...Peaceful loving New Year to all...Jon

ps...thx David for the heads up on tix this morning and to my lovely daughter for getting right on it!

For me this night was head and tails above the night before. I felt that all the songs they had played two nights before in Marin were better versions. The show had some good moments but one moment captured the night for me and it was on the Fire. John did a nice first solo after the first verse and then after the 'almost ablaze' verse Jeff did a beautiful solo. The band was cooking as John was singing the 3rd verse (Long distance runner)--they were loose and John was ready to let it fly for that solo, when Phil almost jumps out of his shoes to get John's attention. John doesn't notice at fist but then does and it's clear that John gets whatever Phil is communicating through body language and immediately starts to play the ending of Fire. I would love to be a close friend of Phil so I could ask him "Hey, how come you didn't want John to take that last solo on Fire last night?" It was really strange. Since when has Phil been against a guitarist bringing the house down? John was going to do something special right there---everyone could feel it and I it's hard to get why Phil didn't want that to happen.

Warning--some bitching about vocals comming up--read at your own peril: I also get Phil taking the Garcia verse "Wish I was a headlight" on the Rider but what I don't get is why they don't want John's voice in the mix to add to the texture of the group verses. This is I know You Rider and John's voice in that is only going to make the verses sound better, more complex. They do the same thing with Straw, Viola Lee and UJB--this has nothing to do with whose singing the leads, it has everything to do with making the song sound more full, more balanced. I don't care about who sings lead but it doesn't make sense not to use all those voices since they are all good together. I think they might change this on some of those songs--especially Rider because it seems pretty obvious.

Anyway....last night was a great night of music. It was just a great night. Luckily I saw a friend from the GD days in the balcony with wonderful seats and he had an extra one for me which I jumped on because the floor at this place can be a little brutal. The Shakedown and Straw were quite the left-right combo to open the show and that's they way the whole night was played--every song just sparkled.

Quite frankly, I thought Phil did an absolutely amazing job with the Time cover. It was like hearing him sing at Hearshey Park--those impassioned vocals that are so Phil--so uplifting and so real. It worked perfectly. So much for the whole Dark Side and I, for one, was very happy about that. The Time was perfect--they nailed it and if they had tried to do more, it would have probably not been close to as good. I also like how they do D star with Phil singing the first verse and then Bob and then John--it works so well on this historic song(which doesn't mean that have to do likewise on the Dew!).

The Roads was just fucking insane. The whole ballad thing and who's singing what and Weir taking the Standing the night before and wrecking it (although his Weir screams on "Be with You! were...just classic Bob)...when John started to play the chords from Roads and stepped up to the mic to sing, the place (and myself) was awash in utter and complete ecstasy. And John delivered a mammoth version--basically devastating everyone in the place.

It was a great NYE show with all the pomp and circumstance one could ask for and some fucking fantastic and poweful music. I was really happy to have been there.

Seeing Phil's genius mesh with John's genius is a thing of beauty--it really is.

Everything you said is true,almost everything,when you relisten to that Time,You will change your mind.Vocals late and incomplete.A for effort C for execution.

Everything you said is true,almost everything,when you relisten to that Time,You will change your mind.Vocals late and incomplete.A for effort C for execution.

But did you see phils face during that...like a kid in a candystore....priceless! I loved Time! This past year has brought me many trials and tribulations and I walk into 2010 not sweating the little shit...

Namaste~ Jon

SO MANY ROADS...I literally could feel everyones heart open and the sweetness of ole' Jerry filled the air...it was THE moment of the night for me...for those upset with vocal choices I truly believe you are not seeing the forest for the trees...Peaceful loving New Year to all...Jon

Hmm...

Had Bob and/or Phil taken the vocals to Roads, wouldn't that have absolutely destroyed that wonderful moment we all agree we had last night? Your statement strikes me as being a bit contradictory. I'm getting more accepting about the vocal choices, but some of these songs are really meant to be sung by John. I was so happy to hear the opening chords of SOTM (a song I love) and really hoping that they were going to give it to John. Then Bobby started singing it and the moment was gone. Don't get me wrong-- I really enjoyed both of the past two nights of great music, but not having JK singing SOTM was a big blow to what could have been the highlight of the show for me. Instead, it was simply another decent but unmemorable song.

Hmm...

Had Bob and/or Phil taken the vocals to Roads, wouldn't that have absolutely destroyed that wonderful moment we all agree we had last night?

But John sang it! What if I didn't get a ticket to the show? What if Phil were to drop dead tomorrow...I have no time for "what ifs"...Life's too short.... Deadheads are notoriously critical and I'm just looking at this glass half full I suppose...It's nothing to get hung about...Peace out...

• Forum MVP

The purity of that version of Time had more to do with the purity of John's leads, his playing on that song, in combination with Phil and both of the women singing. John's guitar on that song was so clean, so channeled, it was almost divine. Listen to it, even with the crap ass youtube garbage around and you will know what I'm talking about. It was the first one so I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't as tight as can be, espcially since Phil can get too excited to sing something new and mess up the words like he did with his verse when they debuted the Weight (I'm not guessing here, he admitted to getting too excited for that verse--it's a great verse!-- and messed it up (Nassau '90))...but the thing last night, no matter how flawed, had BALLS the thing had power, and it was one of the highlights of a great night for many people who were there, even if Phil doesn't have the song down yet (in other words, Phil was a small part of it). Those woman were amazing. Listen to them sing their asses off together and tell me it doesn't make you happy.

I will probably want listen to it at some point, which is not something I would do normally, to be honest, and I might have a different take than the one I had at the show--which happens all the time, but... and this isn't a perfect example, but when some people listen to Phil belting out Tom Thumbs at Hershey, they complain that the vocals are terrrible, they say they hate his voice and when I listen to those vocals, I am greatly moved, even though it's clear he's not going to win American Idol anytime soon. I'm sure that's not what you were complaining about and it's not to say that the Time last night was like the Tom Thumb's on 6/28/85 because Phil may have been far from perfect in both of his versus, but it IS to say that late or incompete vocals on Phil's part are not things will make me change my mind on that song, on that night.

• Forum MVP

This line may sum things up better than any I've seen. Well stated.

I continue to be astonished at what Phil can still make happen at almost 70.

Someone commented here about the 30th being somewhat "choppy", which I think is on the mark. It sounds like NYE was a step above, to say the least.

But to those who think the vocal choices are a non issue, let me ask you this: take one song per night, Standing and So Many Roads. Assume John sings the Standing and nails it on 12/30. Then assume Weir sings the Roads 12/31 and gives it the Shatner treatment. Would that not alter the balance of power between the two nights in a significant manner?

But to those who think the vocal choices are a non issue, let me ask you this: take one song per night, Standing and So Many Roads. Assume John sings the Standing and nails it on 12/30. Then assume Weir sings the Roads 12/31 and gives it the Shatner treatment. Would that not alter the balance of power between the two nights in a significant manner?

This is so true. I can understand that Phil & Bobby want to honor Jerry and sing his songs, and singing a few of them is fine, but others are not. For example, Bobby did a great job with New Speedway in Asbury Park, but taking the end of Terrapin away from John is just not right. I love both Phil & Bobby dearly. They are definitely heroes of mine, but if you listen to Phil sing Eyes or Uncle John's or the "I wish I was a headlight" line in Rider, it is way less than optimal and diminishes the power of those songs and the show. And Bobby's Standing wasn't very good either. People say it's their band, but many of us have been a part of this ride for a long time and all we want to see is the amazing potential of this group be realized. Please, somebody that is close to Phil or Bobby tell them to listen to the shows and they can't help but hear how weak it is in these parts

Archived