Jam Cruise 8 Reviewed

jfolks

• Forum MVP

im too tired to post a full review tonight.. not even home yet.. but i wanted to put the set lists up as soon as possible for the curious masses. Ill post a longish review in this thread on the whole jamcruise experience in the next couple of days..**Warning: jam cruise may cause memory loss. these setlists are far from accurate, but its the best me and pres could come up with.. some songs are missing im sure, and we might be wrong about a song or two.. the order is estimated.. first songs are correct, but everything else is guesswork.. the 2nd show was from 1am-4am (and didnt start till about 1:30am), so needless to say our memory is a little hazy from that evening as we werent at 100% mental capacities (considering the 4 hours of sleep under our belts from the previous night and even less from the nights prior).. each show was 3 hours and was basically a full show- but they played both "sets" straight thru without a set break.

1st show (pool deck):

jam>

music

jackaroe

greatest story

mr charlie

ship of fools

jack straw

let it rock

playin

cryptical

other one

cryptical

drums

space

playin

eyes

sugar mag

ssdd

e: golden road

2nd show (teatro):

jam>

shakedown

biodtl

next time you see me

ramble on

uncle>

big river

stir it up

mexicali

china

rider

alligator

st stephen

will tell

drums

space

truckin

death dont

lovelight

• Forum MVP

that looks real close Jordan. I normally write the lists down as they are played, but Jam Cruise, I didn't. Even my wife couldn't believe I wasn't taking notes as I always do! Sunday and still decompressing for sure! Heading back to New York state tomorrow morning. It was grate to see you rocking out on the boat Jordan and I hope it won't be your last Jam Cruise! There is nothing like this party! Hope you made it off the boat before the 3 hour lockdown due to some dimwit having some kind of hazmat issue with something in his posession. It came about 15 minutes after I got off the ship. Hot Buttered Rum and Railroad Earth were both kicking ass too! For all who have never done Jam Cruise, I highly recommend it! This was my second year, and pre-booking for next year soon!

Eyes of The World pool deck show was smokin' hot! Jeff M and the rest of the band was kicking ass big time!!! The second late night show in the theater was amazing entirely!!!

Big thanks to all our favorite guys and gal for these two performances! :dsorocks:

p.s. - where else could you go but Jam Cruise to see Rob Koritz in black tux tails and a big black afro on "Funk N Formal Night"??? Glad to see the band was enjoying their Caribbean holiday too!

To Rob Koritz too - the "Everyone Orchestra" performance was amazing! Rob K. on congas and Handsonic.

• Forum MVP

okay so here's my rant on jam cruise.

Jam cruise is the coolest fucking thing on the planet!! no festival or concert experience compares.. an A+++++ experience.. possibly the funnest shit ive ever done.. here's why: first off, its a crazy party.. im a pretty light partier, but it was still a friggin blast! you could be a wharf rat/sober and still have the time of your life (btw- there are wharf rat meetings on board- they call themselves ship of fools for the cruise though).. there are no rules on this boat- this aint your average cruise.. bars are open 24/7.. food is included and served 24/7 (we would dance until 4am or so and go eat breakfast before going to sleep).. and i thought the food was decent too.. the music was absolutely amazing: A+. i went to see dso and didnt really care about any of the other bands (except railroad earth and buttered rum, but even then i wasnt as excited for them as i was for dso).. but every single note of music i saw blew me away.. it was all incredible.. even bands i have never heard of in my life blew me away.. my fave shows other than dso were motet plays the talking heads, kyle hollingsworth band, RRE, hot buttered rum, the word, zappa, even STS9 was pretty good.. im a huge string cheese incident fan, so it was amazing to get to dance to some "cheesy music" (via kyle's band and his other band: the motet). amazing music goes all day until 6am every morning.. so sleeping is just not an option.. the jam room is also amazing.. saw some very good music in there, unfortunately i missed koritz and barraco join in the jam (the jam room doesnt even get popular until 4am). dancing is another huge factor to this experience.. first off, most everyone dances, and at the very least everyone is into the music.. talkers are non-existent.. 2ndly, you have infinite space in every venue. there are only 2700 passengers, but that includes fans, artists, crew, and jamcruise staff (there are also 1200 cruise ship employees, so you have KIND people serving you constantly).. there are 3 to 5 stages with shows at any given time, so the fans are divided up between these... AND at any given time you have 500+ people eating, sleeping, or doing something other than a show.. so all this equates to AMAZING dance space at all shows.. dancing at the first dso show was one of my favorite dancing moments of my life.. me and bix were spinning on the 1st deck above the pool deck: the rail over the floor level was on one side and the rail over the ocean's crashing waves was on the other, with a completely black abyss above us.. another cool part of the experience is the fan/artist interaction.. the artists dont stay cooped up backstage or in their rooms; they party and dance right along side you! they eat in the same cafes/restaurants, they drink at the same bars, they even dance at shows in the crowd! i got to meet a ton of artists.. (when i walked into an elevator late one night robert randolph was in it and he immediately proclaims "You look like derek trucks!").. the fans are also awesome.. i met so many cool people.. everyone is in amazing moods and is very kind and friendly.. made a ton of new friends.. these are the best jamband fans on earth.. another cool part are the costumes! it was like burning man X mardi gras X 10kl fest. ill post pics in this thread soon so yall can see what i mean. and one bonus for the guys- THE WOMEN. oh my god.. i have NEVER seen this many beautiful women at a jam concert or festival.. my theory is that many women who go on jam cruise would not normally go to camping festivals. also, the cruise staff is amazing! they are so friendly and happy to party with us. they come and dance at shows when they're not working.. they wore costumes by the last few days.. they are totally cool with our scene and all that comes with it! so in conclusion, jam cruise is the best event EVER. I cannot stress enough the importance of jam cruise.. every jam fan needs to experience it.. there's a reason people go every year.. the line-up does not matter- you will have the time of your life.. (even artists buy cabins if they're not playing that year)..

oh and one more thing- JAMAICA SUCKS!! never step foot on that godforsaken island.. i was sooooo excited to go to jamaica, but good god it is hands down the sketchiest place ive ever been in my life!! its like mad max road warrior there.. i was literally robbed after being on the island for 15 minutes (dont worry- i threw a 5 dollar bill at him and ran away).. its not the peaceful rasta paradise that you thought it was (i saw 1 jamaican with dreads).. there are hundreds of scuzzy drug dealers flashing white powder at you in the streets.. never go there! if you do, dont even acknowledge people that approach you in the street, and dont buy anything from them!! the jamaican police target tourists that may have purchased something.. several jam cruisers were arrested, but luckily the captain was able to get most of them freed without fines or incarceration.

and remember- always bring one of these to shows.. you never know when you'll need it

11202.jpg

Guest crazy digits
okay so here's my rant on jam cruise.

Jam cruise is the coolest fucking thing on the planet!! no festival or concert experience compares.. an A+++++ experience.. possibly the funnest shit ive ever done.. here's why: first off, its a crazy party.. im a pretty light partier, but it was still a friggin blast! you could be a wharf rat/sober and still have the time of your life (btw- there are wharf rat meetings on board- they call themselves ship of fools for the cruise though).. there are no rules on this boat- this aint your average cruise.. bars are open 24/7.. food is included and served 24/7 (we would dance until 4am or so and go eat breakfast before going to sleep).. and i thought the food was decent too.. the music was absolutely amazing: A+. i went to see dso and didnt really care about any of the other bands (except railroad earth and buttered rum, but even then i wasnt as excited for them as i was for dso).. but every single note of music i saw blew me away.. it was all incredible.. even bands i have never heard of in my life blew me away.. my fave shows other than dso were motet plays the talking heads, kyle hollingsworth band, RRE, hot buttered rum, the word, zappa, even STS9 was pretty good.. im a huge string cheese incident fan, so it was amazing to get to dance to some "cheesy music" (via kyle's band and his other band: the motet). amazing music goes all day until 6am every morning.. so sleeping is just not an option.. the jam room is also amazing.. saw some very good music in there, unfortunately i missed koritz and barraco join in the jam (the jam room doesnt even get popular until 4am). dancing is another huge factor to this experience.. first off, most everyone dances, and at the very least everyone is into the music.. talkers are non-existent.. 2ndly, you have infinite space in every venue. there are only 2700 passengers, but that includes fans, artists, crew, and jamcruise staff (there are also 1200 cruise ship employees, so you have KIND people serving you constantly).. there are 3 to 5 stages with shows at any given time, so the fans are divided up between these... AND at any given time you have 500+ people eating, sleeping, or doing something other than a show.. so all this equates to AMAZING dance space at all shows.. dancing at the first dso show was one of my favorite dancing moments of my life.. me and bix were spinning on the 1st deck above the pool deck: the rail over the floor level was on one side and the rail over the ocean's crashing waves was on the other, with a completely black abyss above us.. another cool part of the experience is the fan/artist interaction.. the artists dont stay cooped up backstage or in their rooms; they party and dance right along side you! they eat in the same cafes/restaurants, they drink at the same bars, they even dance at shows in the crowd! i got to meet a ton of artists.. (when i walked into an elevator late one night robert randolph was in it and he immediately proclaims "You look like derek trucks!").. the fans are also awesome.. i met so many cool people.. everyone is in amazing moods and is very kind and friendly.. made a ton of new friends.. these are the best jamband fans on earth.. another cool part are the costumes! it was like burning man X mardi gras X 10kl fest. ill post pics in this thread soon so yall can see what i mean. and one bonus for the guys- THE WOMEN. oh my god.. i have NEVER seen this many beautiful women at a jam concert or festival.. my theory is that many women who go on jam cruise would not normally go to camping festivals. also, the cruise staff is amazing! they are so friendly and happy to party with us. they come and dance at shows when they're not working.. they wore costumes by the last few days.. they are totally cool with our scene and all that comes with it! so in conclusion, jam cruise is the best event EVER. I cannot stress enough the importance of jam cruise.. every jam fan needs to experience it.. there's a reason people go every year.. the line-up does not matter- you will have the time of your life.. (even artists buy cabins if they're not playing that year)..

oh and one more thing- JAMAICA SUCKS!! never step foot on that godforsaken island.. i was sooooo excited to go to jamaica, but good god it is hands down the sketchiest place ive ever been in my life!! its like mad max road warrior there.. i was literally robbed after being on the island for 15 minutes (dont worry- i threw a 5 dollar bill at him and ran away).. its not the peaceful rasta paradise that you thought it was (i saw 1 jamaican with dreads).. there are hundreds of scuzzy drug dealers flashing white powder at you in the streets.. never go there! if you do, dont even acknowledge people that approach you in the street, and dont buy anything from them!! the jamaican police target tourists that may have purchased something.. several jam cruisers were arrested, but luckily the captain was able to get most of them freed without fines or incarceration.

and remember- always bring one of these to shows.. you never know when you'll need it

11202.jpg

Jordan, GRATE review..funny thing is > it could have been 8 pages long with all the craziness you and I experienced..BTW > August has contacted me at least 3 times since the cruise ended. I believe she is a good soul, just hanging with a not such good soul....I bring this up due to all the ranch dressing thoughts...Love you buddy!

I remember reading that police had K-9 at the cruise initial check in one year. A lot of people got busted while they were in line to go into the boat as they had dogs smell people in line. Is security bad when you first check in? And if you board the boat clean, can you score in the boat? Just curious.

I remember reading that police had K-9 at the cruise initial check in one year. A lot of people got busted while they were in line to go into the boat as they had dogs smell people in line. Is security bad when you first check in? And if you board the boat clean, can you score in the boat? Just curious.

I was wondering the same thing !! For a friend.......... :dsorocks:

teatro set:

jam>shakedown

biodtl

lied and cheated

rambe on rose

me and my uncle>

big river

stir it up

mexicali

china cat> mind left body>

i know you rider

alligator>

jam>

drums>

space>

truckin>

st stephen>

william tell>

the eleven>

death dont have no mercy>

lovelight

as per tape.....

• Forum MVP

Official

Jam-> Shakedown Street, BIODTL, Next Time You See Me, Ramble on Rose-> Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Stir it Up, Mexicali Blues, China Cat-> I know You Rider, Alligator-> St Stephen->William Tell Bridge-> The Eleven-> Drums-> Space-> Truckin-> Death Don't Have No Mercy-> Lovelight

Jam-> Music Never Stopped, Loose Lucy, Greatest Story, Mr Charlie, Ship of Fools, Jack Straw, Let it Rock, Playin in the Band-> Cryptical-> The Other One-> Cryptical->Drums-> Space-> Playin in the Band-> Eyes of the World-> Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Golden Road

• Forum MVP

11202.jpg

#1 - I'm jealous and want to hit Jam Cruise so bad. Maybe one of these years, we can convince the grandparents to watch the kids and the wife & I can get it done.

#2 - Jordan, with regards to your comments on Jamaica, I know just how you feel. However, its definitely not like that everywhere on the island. My wife and I spent our Honeymoon in Ocho Rios and I know exactly where the crusie ship lets you off. It is easily the sketchiest place we saw on our whole trip. They are all waiting for the tourists to come off the boat because they know 1) they have money in their pockets, 2) some are looking to score Jamaican ganga and 3) being locals, they will get breaks from the cops. Everyplace that we went that was away from the touristy areas, we met some of the kindest people we have ever encountered. In fact, my wife and I can't wait to go back. Its really like any poor country you go to, if you stay in the touristy areas, the beggars come at you quick and don't take no for an answer. When you get out of those areas, the locals will actually look after you if you are kind. We had many beggard run off by other locals. The locals don't even like the beggars. But make no mistake, Jamaica is an extremely poor country. i saw poverty there that made me want to cry. However, those same people who were living in squalor were also the people the restored some of my faith in humanity. In fact, when we were there, Pato Banton was playing downtown one night(I had seen him in the states, my wife hadn't). I asked one of the people at the resort about how safe it would be to head down there at night to go see him(Pato wasn't scheduled to go on until 1am). She explained that while there definitely might be some people down there that might try and take advantage of us, overall, she felt it would be pretty safe. I thanked her and we went about our business. About an hour or so later, another resort employee came up to us and asked if we were the couple asking about the safety of going down to the show. When we responded "Yes", he actually offered to chapperone us to the show (he was not planning on going himself and would have been doing this on his own after work). We graciously thanked him but declined his offer. He said that if we changed our mind to go to the main office and they would track him down. He also said that if we were nervous, the main office could vouche for the fact that he was an upstanding person and that they would be able to get in touch with him or know how to contact him if anything went wrong. Just very, very hospitable people. Don't let the seedy ones give the wrong impression about the whole island. Hell, if I had been visiting SF for the 1st time and based my impression on the people who hang out ay Fisherman's Wharf, I wouldn't have too good of an impression of San Francisco.

#3 Loved the revue.

• Advisory Board

Jordan, I'm so glad you got to go on the boat with the rest of us (almost) repeat offenders! I loved the review!!

and folks... everything the man said is 100% true! The best festival experience you'll ever have!!

I'm just curious too. For my friend. Someone? Anyone?

• Forum MVP
To all the Jamcruisers,

If you all don't mind me getting a bit personal...

1) How much did the total trip cost (including travel to and from port)

2) How much did you take for spending

3) What was your drinking bill

1. you could do the whole thing for 1.5-2 thousand..(more lavish travelers/spenders might spend 2.5-3k, especially depending on travel costs to get there). the JC ticket alone is 1k+.. but you can do what i did and get one last minute from someone who cant go. i got like half off the price..

2. the only thing you buy on the boat is booze (or soda).. and spending 100 bucks in a port of call is easy to do.. so i say 300-400 total.. but if your a big drinker, that number will soar..

3. my drinking bill on the boat was under $100.. and that was for about 25 drinks.. you can bring booze on board from the ports of call, so you can save alot of money that way.. but i talked to some people that spent $250 the first day on drink tickets to last them the whole week..

in regards to the "other" question at hand.. no worries.. youll be fine..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crazy digits

...finally, after many daze, my pictures can finally be seen on the Gallery portion of this website.....these pictures may help you understand how nutty, fun and wild this boat really is..only thing missing is the music..that I cannot help with...memories........One in particular fellow shows up on MANY of these pictures. I loved hanging with him and thank him for being the excuse to lure the many folks into our pictures. Enjoy.

Archived