So Maybe I Missed It In The Setlists...

DantheMan

Has DSO yet performed a rendition of 'Till the Morning Comes?

I was just thinking of it, because well, it's a great song - but more importantly it was a regular part of the repertoire for Donna and the Tricksters. Just got me thinking if JM is on board, and he absolutely nailed that tune playing with Donna, why not give it a whirl with DSO?

True it was only played a handful of times in 70 or 71, and therefore wouldn't make it into too many "shows" that DSO plays... but it's high time it made an appearance in an elective night.

if it has been played by DSO... please point out the date to me, as I would love to be able to dig it up on Archive or wherever to give it a listen

thanks everybody!!

i think JM & DJB played it when they opened for dso on 12/30/09.. i think

That makes sense -- As I said before, Donna and JM did play it together with Donna and the Tricksters.

Dangit, I really want to hear the DSO rendition though.

who do you got to get in with to make that happen?

Guest jazz-man

Somewhere in the back of the cobwebbed mind I recall DSO (sans eaton) playing a JGB show at the Crystal Ballroom doing "The Harder They Come". Of course I could be full of it.

not sure if DSO has played it...

I remember reading somewhere that in response to why they had only played the song a few times, Jerry had said "some songs just sound better on the album"..

I'm guess I'm with Jerry on this. Furthur took a stab at the song in Mill Valley at one of the shows I went to. It was certainly a surprise and novelty to hear it, but I just didn't feel it worked very well in concert. The vocals just kind of sound ackward and strained. It's a very difficult song to sing. I suspect this would be the case no matter who tried to play it.

How did the Donna and JM version sound when they did it?

If they can pull it off somewhat nicely... JM will kill it with DSO :dsorocks:

EXACTLY! Donna and the Tricksters played it a bunch of times, and each time Mattson sounded sick, and the whole tune came off extremely well (imho)

With JM on board in DSO, I see no possible reason they can't do it the same justice.

check it out: http://www.archive.org/details/zt2007-08-11.km184.v2.flac16

3rd song of the set.

• Forum MVP

Phil & Friends did Til The Morning Comes at the Warfield run where they went through the first 10 or so albums song by song. It was actually quite good and one of the highlights of the show. I want to say Teresa Williams did the lead vocals (and she did a good job.) Is she Larry Campbell's wife?

Archived